More QT questions!?!

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so have my QT setup running and 2 fish in there. It's a 7g tank has a filter, and lights. Fish seem to be doing well and actually not crazy stressed. I also have pvc in there for them to hide.

Now that bacteria is in there do I need to cycle water constantly? Or can I get away with prime and do changes as the seachem ammonia tag tells me?

Also should I dose with copper safe immediately or should I watch the fish and a dose if it looks like they need it?

Qt is actually more confusing to me than just the normal tank.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once the qt is up and running, it is just like a normal tank. Just keep up with water changes to keep ammonia and nitrate in check, and redose meds accordingly.

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once the qt is up and running, it is just like a normal tank. Just keep up with water changes to keep ammonia and nitrate in check, and redose meds accordingly.
Would you recommend watching the fish first to see if they even need mods. Feels kind of silly to dose copper if they end up having no issues.

My lfs runs a pretty clean ship, but I'm still qt in case. Both fish came from tanks with copper in the system. Thus why I'm not sure if I should even bother putting copper or just watch them for a couple weeks.

I can't introduce them to my dt tank yet anyway because I only added the first fish like 5 days ago.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All fish really should be treated with copper and prazi before being moved to the dt. Even the best lfs let things through, and many issues don’t become apparent until getting into the dt.

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All fish really should be treated with copper and prazi before being moved to the dt. Even the best lfs let things through, and many issues don’t become apparent until getting into the dt.
So should I add copper safe today then? Fish are in the tank with bacteria, and filter.

When doing water changes should I be doing 75% at least and should I be redosing copper according to what I've changed out?

Appreciate your help.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I observe them for a couple of days and then ease them into a copper treatment.
One thing you might want to keep in mind is if you ever plan on a pair of clowns is pairing your clown fish with a similar sized fish from the very beginning
just a thought

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t need to do 75% water change. If the tank is cycled then ammonia and nitrite should be zero. Most fish are not affected by nitrate. Just do a 25% water change every several days to keep the nitrate down.

You can dose copper right away.

Once you get the hang of it, it becomes incredibly easy.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back