More that One Wrasse

Young@Heart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180 Gallon Tank and i am wanting to add a Wrasse to the tank. I already have a 6 Line Wrasse in that tank. Can I add a wrasse to the same Tank? The Six Line tends to hind in the Rock. If I can Safely add a Wrasse (What Type would be a good Match). I am also looking to Add some Blue/Green Chromis. But first I want to remove the Tomato clownfish he has become a bully.

Oh, by the way other tanks mates include:

- Blue Hippo Tang
- Cinnamon (Tomato) Clown Fish - Public Enemy # 1 - Trying to Catch him and remove him from Tank
- 6 line Wrasse

Any Advice/Comments are Welcome.

Thank You

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I'm given to understand, more than one wrasse is easy enough to do (I have a blue-star leopard, biocellatus, lubbock's fairy and linespot flasher) ... so long as none of them are six-lines.

I've had a six-line in the past who wasn't terribly aggressive, but was also the last fish added to the tank (and was kind of twitchy), but not everybody has that experience.

~B.

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll back up maritimers advice. My lfs owner told me the 6 line is always peaceful and gets along with everybody. But I’ve since learned that’s not the case with another wrasse. I added a ruby long fin fairy wrasse and the 6 line is awful to him. It’s gotten a little better but I would never do it again. I have another tank that is almost cycled where I’ll move the fairy wrasse to because of it. Some people have no issues with their 6 line but from what I’ve seen more often than not there’s a problem adding a wrasse if you have one.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 lines are the devil spawn. It;'s not a matter of if, but when they turn rogue and kill everything.

Have a look in the stickies in the fish section, there is an entire thread on how and what types of wrasses can be mixed together.(edit: that sticky doesn't seem to exists anymore, but you can post in the "wrasse lovers" thread and someone more versed them I am will chime in on whether your compatibility will match).

I currently have a black leopard(negrosensis), melanarus, ornate leopard, yellow corris, red corris, and a ruby red fairy.

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6-line and subsequently added 3 chromis. He chases then occasionally but doesn't hurt them.

Then I added a yellow coris wrasse, which he also chases. I've seen a few nips on his tail from time to time, but he has no problem getting away and for the most part they coexist.

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a tank that size you can safely have at least several more wrasse. Fairies and flashers for sure. The fly in the ointment is that six line. As stated, devil fish!

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 225 gal tank and plan on having AT LEAST 5 wrasses. The Six line wrasse may be a issue as they are generally nasty with any wrasse in general.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 6 wrasses with 2 clowns, a blue eyed kole, starry blenny, and pistol shrimp goby pair in my 80 cube. Not cramped one bit actually.

Of course I have plenty of rockwork and caves for the fish to hide, and swim around. The amount of rockwork to keep the fish busy I feel is the key to keeping many fish in a small space(specially wrasses).

OP
OP
Young@Heart

Young@Heart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thanks for the replies.
Phase 1 of the operation is completed: The Bully Tomato Clown has been removed and rehomed with my LFS
Phase 2 will involve the Re-Work of my Aquascape Leaving Caves for my Blue Hippo Tang and my 6-line Wrasse
Phase 3 will involve the final evaluation and addition of new fish.

This could take a while. As they say nothing happens fast in this hobby.

fuelman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is the main wrasse guide. i have several wrasse in my 180 with no issue but none are a 6line.

Last edited:

MattB69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before my six line decided to hit the carpet I had to take him out of the display for 2 weeks into my QT tank in order to re establish the pecking order. He was picking on way to many more expensive fish. Once he came back he was rebooted so to speak. I say see how he does. I loved my six line. Wish I still had him.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 50.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 55.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 27 23.3%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%
Back