more vortech's????

petemichelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150 gal 6 foot long 18 inches deep and 30 inches high tank with a deep sand bed. I have one vortech MP40 on each side and one on the side. everything is growing ok, but everyday, I blow off the rocks and my zoas, and there is always, always,..... always a bunch of debris that comes off of it. should I increase the number of MP40's to one more on each side? for a total of 2 on each side, or on the back wall? I have a mixed reef. lots of zoas and LPS as well as SPS

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My suggestion..... keep the mp40 on each end and add a gyre pump such as iceCap 3k on back wall in the upper center of tank

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My suggestion..... keep the mp40 on each end and add a gyre pump such as iceCap 3k on back wall in the upper center of tank
I’m thinking of doing this for my 48” tank. Where do you recommend the gyre on the back wall? Beneath the overflow? Side mounted on the overflow (vertically)? On one of the walls next to the overflow (and get a second)?

OP
OP
P

petemichelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why a gyre on the back wall? wouldn't that mess up the wave action of the vortices since they are synchronized together?would I be able to sync them all together somehow?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’m thinking of doing this for my 48” tank. Where do you recommend the gyre on the back wall? Beneath the overflow? Side mounted on the overflow (vertically)? On one of the walls next to the overflow (and get a second)?
beneath the rim if there is one or about 3" from top

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
why a gyre on the back wall? wouldn't that mess up the wave action of the vortices since they are synchronized together?would I be able to sync them all together somehow?
No, it actually will increase flow action leaving no dead spots in the tank. As for syncing, there are various modes on gyre. You'll have to find one that comes close otherwise just run it on constant flow mode,. I like the pulse mode on them especially since yo can change direction of flow on each gyre head

OP
OP
P

petemichelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what gyres are there best? should I get a smaller one, I don't need much push since it's going to be on the back wall and I don't want to disturb the sand bed. I have sugar fine deep sand bed. or a larger model with a longer wand on each end , but turn it way down. that way I cover a larger area but less push. I have no experience with gyres. this will be my first one. please all the advice you can give. thanks a lot in advance.

thumbnail_IMG_7532.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7533.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7534.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7535.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7536.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7537.jpg

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what gyres are there best? should I get a smaller one, I don't need much push since it's going to be on the back wall and I don't want to disturb the sand bed. I have sugar fine deep sand bed. or a larger model with a longer wand on each end , but turn it way down. that way I cover a larger area but less push. I have no experience with gyres. this will be my first one. please all the advice you can give. thanks a lot in advance.

thumbnail_IMG_7532.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7533.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7534.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7535.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7536.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7537.jpg
Nice reef! Looks very mature, just curious how old?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back