Morning Catastrophe

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning I woke up to my ATO failed, salinity at 1.021 and kalkwasser EVERYWHERE I could barely see the fish. Everyone was at the top gasping for air. Water changed 50% to get the kalk out and reset salinity. Then during that process my dottybsck and Midas blenny got stuck in their caves and didn’t swim out. The dottyback flopped herself through a hole in the rock and into the water but has 3-4 bruises on her side and swam into another cave and haven’t seen her since. The Midas blenny was in the cave and I haven’t seen this whole morning. The tank is cleared up and back to 1.025sg. What should I do about the injured fish? Is there a way to help them recover from physical injuries or do I just have to let nature run its course

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just give it time! Not much you can do besides a water change like you did… any idea how high your ph got? That’s the biggest factor here as the fish might have gotten ph burn but you could be lucky and it just precipitated “the cloud you saw” and didn’t shoot numbers up to high.. if your ph is still very high you can dose some vinegar to bring it down. Anything over 8.6 I would dose vinegar myself

OP
OP
_cpate3_

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just give it time! Not much you can do besides a water change like you did… any idea how high your ph got? That’s the biggest factor here as the fish might have gotten ph burn but you could be lucky and it just precipitated “the cloud you saw” and didn’t shoot numbers up to high.. if your ph is still very high you can dose some vinegar to bring it down. Anything over 8.6 I would dose vinegar myself
I will have to check that, I could hear it happening as I woke up so I caught it as soon as the ATO failed I don’t think the kalk would’ve had time to soak in but I’ll check

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back