Mortar and salt creep question

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 25, 2016
Messages
2,100
Reaction score
2,394
Location
Batavia IL
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
My open air trough contacts about 30” of drywall on one side. I have a little plumbing going through the wall.

98A623D7-E857-4D92-9A33-5E20B2099412.jpeg

Incidental salt spray is doing some damage. As a longer term solution I mortared a piece of green board, texturized it, and painted. I’m going to attach this at the end of the trough and tack a frame around it.

C26D5043-8C5B-48A2-AB08-A5C7BA34F5EB.jpeg AD2892D4-3362-4540-8EAC-C066C8FBD1AA.jpeg

Question: do I need to worry about incidental salt spray/creep contacting this mortared piece of green board? I intend to keep it wiped down. Highly unlikely it every gets wet.
 
*rereading my question I should clarify: do I need to worry about incidental salt creep leaching chemicals from the moarter/green board back into the water? It’s got several good layers of paint.
 
Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 35.5%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 9 29.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 3 9.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 2 6.5%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.2%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new