Most all my snails died

Ernie C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bunch of astrea and torchus snails and after a terrible algae outbreak, which i now have a better handle on, I may have one left. What parameters are they sensitive to or any additives? I haven’t really added anything out of the ordinary that I can think of like medications or anything.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bunch of astrea and torchus snails and after a terrible algae outbreak, which i now have a better handle on, I may have one left. What parameters are they sensitive to or any additives? I haven’t really added anything out of the ordinary that I can think of like medications or anything.

How long did you have them? What kind of algae outbreak did you have?

OP
OP
Ernie C

Ernie C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long did you have them? What kind of algae outbreak did you have?

I had some older ones and so I bought a few more. But eventually they all went. First it was a long slime brown algae. Like gha but brown and slimy. Now I’m left with gha and some turf type algae but o thinks it’s dwindling. Thing was that my nitrate and po tests never showed any readings. I was using the Red Sea test kits. The culprit was my rodi water. The cartridges need to be changed more often than I thought. TDS read zero so I thought I was ok.

Nick30G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some older ones and so I bought a few more. But eventually they all went. First it was a long slime brown algae. Like gha but brown and slimy. Now I’m left with gha and some turf type algae but o thinks it’s dwindling. Thing was that my nitrate and po tests never showed any readings. I was using the Red Sea test kits. The culprit was my rodi water. The cartridges need to be changed more often than I thought. TDS read zero so I thought I was ok.
The first sounds like dinos. Dinos are actually toxic in nature and if a snail eats lots of it they can actually die from it.

Swingline77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So, what was off as a result of having a bad filter was nitrate and phosphate?
What cartridges are you referring to, the ro or the di?
How many gallons do you run though it before you change it?
City or well water?

I'm trying to get an idea of how often I should be changing things.

OP
OP
Ernie C

Ernie C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it was the sediment and carbon filters. Those should be changed out more often. Maybe every two months. I’m in city water and get 10-15 gallons a week. I was getting TDS if zero but probably nutrients were present.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first sounds like dinos. Dinos are actually toxic in nature and if a snail eats lots of it they can actually die from it.
I highly suspect dinos as well. Make sure you are running GAC to reduce dino poisoning. If the slimy algae is still there, I would view it with a microscope. I could ID my dinos with a $12 scope for amazon.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back