Most attractive designer clown pair? (asking for opinions)

Most attractive designer clown pair?

• Total voters

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Friends! I want to add a pair of designer clowns to my new shallow tank to accompany bubbletip anemones that I intend to cultivate. I know they aren't necessary, but I've always wanted a really good looking pair of designer clowns, and I already have a pair of standard occelaris in my display. I've added photos below of my favorites at first glance, please share your opinions and also show me any "less common" options that I should consider. I'm a big fan of "busy" and bold patterns, but with clear separation, i.e I'm not a big fan of the "naked" or extremely messy patterns. Thanks in advance!

System
50 gallon 48x24x10 inches
40b sump w/ large fuge

Stocking:
2x yellowtail blue damsels
1x wrasse (future, TBD)
bubbletip anemones (future, black widow in transit)
frags

1703866917729.png

1703866764799.png

1703866796903.png

1703866964774.png

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the money, longfins are by far the most eye catching. However if you’re like me and didn’t want to spend $300 each on a dish I have found the movhavinci clowns to be the most attractive to me. They give the same vibes as your standard clownfish so you don’t lose the charm, but it’s still interesting enough that I can’t stop watching them. These are my 2 babies, id recommend one grade extreme and one grade A for a nice contrast!

IMG_0375.jpeg
IMG_5639.jpeg
IMG_0374.jpeg

LandLockedJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted for the Picasso’s but personally am partial to the black storm clowns. I have Dalmatians mutts though so I am biased to anything white with black spots.

1703874691784.jpeg

They can however be a bit pricey as well $156 a piece in live aquaria right now.

I have also heard that the gold nugget maroon clowns can be rather aggressive.

Let us know what you decide!

OP
OP
TX_REEF

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted for the Picasso’s but personally am partial to the black storm clowns. I have Dalmatians mutts though so I am biased to anything white with black spots.

1703874691784.jpeg

They can however be a bit pricey as well $156 a piece in live aquaria right now.

that's a cool variant! I am sort of leaning towards maroons because I see them relatively infrequently, I'm not too worried about aggression since the only other inhabitants will be damsels and a goby and/or wrasse. I'm also wondering if this tank is too small for maroons. Keep the ideas coming!!!

LandLockedJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's a cool variant! I am sort of leaning towards maroons because I see them relatively infrequently, I'm not too worried about aggression since the only other inhabitants will be damsels and a goby and/or wrasse. I'm also wondering if this tank is too small for maroons. Keep the ideas coming!!!
The gold nuggets males, I think, have a pretty cool color change as they mature if I recall correctly.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Friends! I want to add a pair of designer clowns to my new shallow tank to accompany bubbletip anemones that I intend to cultivate. I know they aren't necessary, but I've always wanted a really good looking pair of designer clowns, and I already have a pair of standard occelaris in my display. I've added photos below of my favorites at first glance, please share your opinions and also show me any "less common" options that I should consider. I'm a big fan of "busy" and bold patterns, but with clear separation, i.e I'm not a big fan of the "naked" or extremely messy patterns. Thanks in advance!

System
50 gallon 48x24x10 inches
40b sump w/ large fuge

Stocking:
2x yellowtail blue damsels
1x wrasse (future, TBD)
bubbletip anemones (future, black widow in transit)
frags

1703866917729.png

1703866764799.png

1703866796903.png

1703866964774.png
I personally go for either Black or Orange clowns, I honestly dislike the whiter clowns.

My current ‘designer’ Clown is a Black Photon Clown who is a misbar. She doesn’t look very black photon but I know she is as I knew the person who bred her.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1703874691784.jpeg

Oooo I love black storms, they have such a neat color to them.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a traditionalist, if I wouldn’t see it snorkeling on a reef I am not going to have it in my tank. However, the designer clowns are beautiful and if I had to pick one it would definitely be a bullet hole clownfish.

temphermitcrab

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
_DSC3308.jpg

I agree with the Onyx. These are our Onyx' Lucy and Ricky. They are young so I think the Black is still coming in. They were originally bred by C-Quest and now by Sea and Reef. Sea and Reef was out of them but we found a pair quarantined by Dr. reef. Both the Onyx and Picasso's occur as more rare colors in the wild. These guys are very chill. We had a pair of Darwin A. ocellaris for 10 years before these guys and I think that A. percula is very similar if maybe even easier going.

OP
OP
TX_REEF

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up picking up a gorgeous, PAIRED couple of Gold Flake Maroon clowns for only $30 each! Great feeling when you find just the right fish on a random visit to LFS. Don’t mind the dots on the second pic, it’s on the glass.

IMG_4521.jpeg
IMG_4523.jpeg

Last edited:

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back