Most of tank is dying

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API test kit isn't that bad for ammonia. It can be weird colored at 0 compared to what it shows on the color chart. If it is not showing a .5 which you can definitely identify it with or a 2. Which is the danger zone and that color you can definitely identify. Then it is probably 0. It's the nitrate test kit that is complete garbage. API pH & nitrite is also fine.

OP
OP
Docdiggy

Docdiggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you on the API tests mentioned. I was told by someone else that dying sps can mess up your water. Especially if they are big. Which they were.

Peng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop the carbon reactor. Stop all of your nutrient exportation units except the skimmer, filter sock (optional), and a small mesh bag of activated carbon (optional).

This is my own experience so take it with a grain of salt. In a starved system acroporas go from healthy to loss of the bright colors & PE and then to pale or lightly brown. Their skin gets thinner and thinner and eventually they STN or RTN. If you have coral currently experiencing STN or RTN I would dip them in antibiotics. But more importantly I would not run any nutrient reactor and reduce the number of possible causal factors and get down to the basics. When I was running a biopellet reactor my corals were all pale and white and would die one by one. When I was running a phosguard/activated carbon reactor I would also get the same thing. But I hesitated because I wanted them to work so bad and I was living in denial because I'd see some algae (usually brown). It took me "just" about 2 years or so and several thousand dollars to finally pull the plugs. All the colors and growth came back and paleness was gone.

OP
OP
Docdiggy

Docdiggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point I only have 3 fish in about a 100 gallon system so nutrients are not plentiful. Aside from the occasional sodium nitrate.

OP
OP
Docdiggy

Docdiggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk 8.7
Phos .04
Nitrate 2-3
Temp 78
Cal 540

I had to dose nitrate to get it there. It always read 0. While phos was at .11. I overdosed nitrate to over 10ppm. It took some months, but I'm currently at the above levels

OP
OP
Docdiggy

Docdiggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do believe that played a roll. It might have made the phos level drop quickly. Randy Holmes said that dose shouldn't have caused much damage.

OP
OP
Docdiggy

Docdiggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small water changes and an algae reactor. However, I've read it can be a balancing act dosing nitrate or phos. Adding one can in turn lower the other.

Livinlocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I have gathered, it looks to be caused from stability issues. Having your nutrients jump around that quickly will certainly cause rtn and stn. If you were at 0ppm nitrates, and dosed to o we 10ppm; that could be it alone. Also having po4 at or above .11 will also cause rtn and stn in a low nutrient system.

If you are still having die off, I wouldn’t take the carbon reactor offline. I get the theory above, but when you’re actually having die off, your corals are releasing toxins that will be obsorbed by the carbon, which otherwise could potentially make matters worse.

Livinlocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your magnesium at? I noticed that you did not post the levels. With low mag, your corals won’t uptake the cal and alk as easily as with the proper mag level. With low mag, it will throw everything out of wack. I had something similar happened a couple years ago where my SPS seemed to loose color, and I couldn’t figure it out because all of my parameters were perfect, well except my mag. When I finally tested my magnesium, it was at 1150, after raising it to 1350, everything came back to normal. I’m not sure what your testing regimen is, but I typically don’t test magnesium which is why it went unnoticed. Even with my calcium reactor, it still went out of whack. Check your magnesium and let us know

OP
OP
Docdiggy

Docdiggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested that about a week ago. It came up at 1250 which i know is a little low. I've dosed a couple 100ml over that time. It's not something I test often nor dose often.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.9%
Back