Most reliable ATO?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral box A-100, 3 years and never missed.
First check is optical.
Second is covered mechanical back up if first fails.
I added a multi timer, on every 2 hours for 2 minutes.
This ensures the fill, if both sensors failed would not overfill.
I paid $80 CDN.

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im looking for a reliable ATO that wont prematurely fail in a few months. From what i heard and researched tunze 3155 is the product what im looking for but the price is just way too high. 240 for an ATO? It cost almost as same as my 15 gallon nano tank. is there another cheaper option for ATO? Im looking at autoaqua smart ATO lite. Its only $63. Anyone had heard or experience this ato? I dont wanna ended up with flooded tank with failed ato. Let me know your thoughts!

I use the Tunze Nano Osmolator 3152 for my 38-gallon (55ish with sump) and I love it. I also bought the 7.1-gallon bucket reservoir with it and it all came out to about $125.

Super easy to set up and the bucket is pre-drilled. Zero complaints and 5 stars from me!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Tunze has worked flawlessly for 7 years without a part going bad. I certainly got my monies worth. Don’t pay full price as Tunze has good sales during holidays. 15-20 percent off isn’t unheard of.

I also have a micro on my 25g which seems to work well too and it is very small. I probably wouldn’t trust it as much as Tunze (it doesn’t have a back up float) but it hasn’t flooded me in the few years it has been in use.

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have containers/drums, a knowledge of plumbing and can work with valves.... you can setup up you own design where WCs are less than 5mins of your time.

If 5 mins is still an annoyance to you, then I don't know what to say

capted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody else use the hydor ato? I did have one that failed in under a year but they replaced it for free. The new one is going on 2 years now with no issues. Great now I have to knock on wood!!!

CavalierReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using an XP Aqua Duetto Dual sensor ATO on my Biocube 32 for over a year without any issues. Granted my tank has less evaporation than a topless tank. I use a 3 gallon Sterlite plastic tub for a reservoir that fits in my cabinet and it could not be any simpler. I think it's great for small tanks. It costs about twice your $63 version and half of the Tunze 3155. Options are out there.

DKPminus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Tunze 3155 is definitely one of the most highly recommended ATOs and I have one on my 50 gallon tank. The problem is that it's not really designed for nanos (even with the internal dial turned to nano it pumps a lot of water). I would love to have all of it's features on my 10g but I think it would end up with a mess. One thing with the Tunze 3155 is that if it loses power it goes into a priming mode where it pumps water for about 10 seconds. In my nano, 10 seconds of water is a lot of water! Also with the spacing between the optical sensor and the emergency sensor (yes you can separate them and place them manually but no space in a nano), again we're talking about a lot of water in a nano. Unfortunately the Tunze ATO that is built for nanos does not have all the same features and, as a result, doesn't have the excellent reputation of it's larger cousin. Still looking for a suitable nano ATO as well so following along!
I just ordered the tunes 3155, should be here tomorrow but if I read it right you can adjust the flow so the 10 is a slow fill as to not overfill.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/2C is the least amount the 3155 will add in priming mode. Not detrimental in most tanks it's designed for, but could certainly be an issue in a nano.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/2C is the least amount the 3155 will add in priming mode. Not detrimental in most tanks it's designed for, but could certainly be an issue in a nano.

You've got me wondering now if mine has been malfunctioning all this time because I have it set to the lowest setting and just measured after a power cycle and got over a cup.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered the tunes 3155, should be here tomorrow but if I read it right you can adjust the flow so the 10 is a slow fill as to not overfill.

When you remove the cover of the controller there is a knob to adjust the flow up and down but even on the lowest setting it seems like too much water for my 10g (I still haven't picked an ATO for the 10g). I've seen suggestions to add a valve to the water line to reduce the flow further but not sure how effective that is.

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this Prism one for my daughter's WB 20 Cube. Works great.

Siberwulf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for Tunze

Optical Sensor for on/off. Plus a float sensor in case it gets too high (shuts off and sounds an alarm). Plus it has a 10 min run timer (if it runs 10 mins, it turns off).

Top notch.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Osmolators, but prefer to use Litermeters. No sensors to fail or clean. Just dial in your daily evaporation. I don't have to shut it off during maintenance or water level changes in the sump, it just chugs along dosing my programmed amount 150 times over 24 hours. Great way to dose limewater!

Saltysailors

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Osmolators, but prefer to use Litermeters. No sensors to fail or clean. Just dial in your daily evaporation. I don't have to shut it off during maintenance or water level changes in the sump, it just chugs along dosing my programmed amount 150 times over 24 hours. Great way to dose limewater!
I went with avast marine. Couldn’t swallow the price of spectrapure for a Canadian with shipping. I ended up with a spectrapure rodi though locally sold thankfully haha.

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the most part, you get what you pay for in this hobby.

The Tunze 3155 is the gold standard ATO for a reason. Two different types of sensor, high-quality components... I've even had my pumps run dry and they're working like a champ as soon as they're filled with water again.

If you don't want to spend on the Tunze, you can of course go other routes. More than likely you would be fine, but the chances of getting a dud unit are, in my opinion, much higher than if you go with the Tunze. Up to you whether the cost savings of another unit are worth rolling the dice.
I've had my Tunze for about 7 years. The pump failed after the 1st year because it ran dry while I was out. Totally my fault. The replacement pump was/is readily available and cost me all of about 25 or so bucks. It's been solid as a rock since. Even survived a power surge that fried my apex and DoS units. I have no experience with the other units but why would I when this works so well?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 47 21.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 161 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 5.0%
Back