Mounting an AI Prime 16HD to my 29g Biocube Lid?

JUnitReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is just a thought but if I could make it a possibility I would love to make that happen. I know right away I sound crazy but hear me out. I just started the cycle on my 29 Gallon biocube and I already knew my first upgrade was of course lighting. As we all know the biocube has the curved front which would make it hard to use the Red Sea screen kit to use for the top. (I have the Red Sea screen on my 13.5 Evo so trust I thought of that) Anyways I was wondering if at all possible if I could take the bulbs and ballasts out of the Biocube lid and somehow mount a Prime inside the lid. Thus keeping the lid as well as being able to mount the light? Or would the light be too close? That is the only obstacle I was running into while thinking this out.

If that crazy idea is not at all possible, does anyone know a reputable source to purchase a screen top for a 29G Biocube?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure you can do that. It would be too close to the water to be effective and may melt the lid and light cover. The ones I have seen use the primes almost always remove the lid or use a dremal saw and cut out a large opening.

HeyJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not only would the light be too close, but the prime exhausts air out the top. You'd be blocking that and it would probably overheat.

I think Octolids and Clearview are two companies that make custom lids for the biocube

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back