Mounting corals on overflow Pros & Cons - Poll & opinions please

Is mounting corals on overflow a good or bad idea?


  • Total voters
    406
I appreciate everyone's input. I am still undecided :D
I would say the only downside of having a coral growing anywhere other then rocks is that, if you ever had to move or drain the tank for any reason for a period of time then you risk losing the coral. Corals are going to shade eachother as they grow regardless if they are on a rock or glued to the back glass or overflow. You just have to keep them trimmed. We have been lucky that our GSP is so resilient. We have lost some every time that we moved but we never lost it all. Hope thia helps with your decision.:)
 
img_0553-1-jpg.577763
 
My overflow IS my aquascape.....mostly.... so I hope there's no problem ;)
IMG_3842.JPG

In all seriousness though, there's no problem other than flow issues and looks of your aquarium. Make sure growths don't impede the flow down the overflow, and make sure you like the way your tank looks.
 
I'm thinking of mounting some encrusting montis and maybe some shrooms on the center overflow of my RSR 250. Would love opinions on this, particularly if you think its a bad idea. Let me know if you have experiences with this.

Pics are always welcome!!

Mounting anything on the overflow to me is a bad idea, especially ant type of coral. Over flow's are meant to assist you're aquarium with water exchange and anything, especially something that is growing that could place a restriction on that is not a good idea!
 
I realize this is an old thread but I am thinking of doing the same. I have two overflows - one encrusted with coraline and the other covered with mushrooms. They are too hard to keep clean like the glass. I think putting some acros off of the coraline would look pretty natural and would give me some more real estate. Would love to see some more examples!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 24.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new