Mounting corals on overflow Pros & Cons - Poll & opinions please

Is mounting corals on overflow a good or bad idea?

• Total voters

Wankell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted no as I was thinking of the overflow as the slots that allow water to go to your sump or back chamber. If the overflow is defined as basically the false wall, which I think is what this question was inferring actually inferring, then I will have to revise my response to a "yes". That is the only place safe for my invasive gsp lol and the monti pictured above looks like a cool idea

Hah, I did the exact same thing! I think "back wall" would have been a better choice as a descriptor.

Neptune1707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I def have noticed this trend...I've been thinking what I would mount on the back glass. I like the Monti shown in the original post. Since it grows outward that would be cool. Following...to see what others think.

DanP-SD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer keeping the back wall of the tank clean, but it's just a matter of preference. The black back makes the corals in the tank pop more. I think you can do it without problems if you pick the right corals. I'd avoid "weeds" like xenia, GSP, Kenya trees because they'll take over and may clog the flow through the weir. Monti is a good choice if you pick an encrusting variety. A plating monti could work but may cause shadows if your rockscape is near the back of the tank like most. If you can get them to stick, I would think a variety of zoas would look best. And once they take, they'd probably fill it in pretty fast.

One issue I'd worry about is keeping the unencrusted portion of the overflow clean. With no corals on it, scraping the entire back clean is easy. If you have corals encrusting the entire back, no problem, but what about when corals encrust only a portion of the back? It'll be difficult to clean around them and you may invite nuisance algae to take hold. If your overflow is already covered with coralline, this is probably a non-issue.

Florida_Angel

Rock Flower Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is cool to have them grow on the overflow. I think it would be ok as long as you keep an eye out for anything encrusting in between the draining areas. We have GSP growing on ours and every few months I go in there and peel away the parts that are starting to block the flow. Here is a picture. The halides aren't on yet so sorry for the quality.

Oh, I'd love to have that in my tank! Looks so cool in the flow

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large center overflow and its texture makes keeping coralline off of it almost impossible. I've got two contrasting colored encrusting montis on it. They've just grown off the disc in the last week or so. Can't see how they could be a problem.

reef jacob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have multiple corals mounted on my two overflows such as my jedi mind trick, hydrophora, monti confusa, birdsnest and little purple stylo.

IMG_20170819_101013_771.jpg

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm leaning toward the "bad" side ~ it seems to me that a coral in that position will be less likely to have any nutrients land on it and stay on it long enough to be utilized.

PhilT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is cool to have them grow on the overflow. I think it would be ok as long as you keep an eye out for anything encrusting in between the draining areas. We have GSP growing on ours and every few months I go in there and peel away the parts that are starting to block the flow. Here is a picture. The halides aren't on yet so sorry for the quality.
Looks like my tank. I have GSP almost on the whole back wall of the tank. I have to scrub out the slots on the overflow. It’s not a Red Sea reefer, btw.
At first, I thought it was cool but now it’s a pain. They are taking over almost all my live rock.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good topic. It depends on the layout of the overflow.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have multiple corals mounted on my two overflows such as my jedi mind trick, hydrophora, monti confusa, birdsnest and little purple stylo.

IMG_20170819_101013_771.jpg
That is a tanks that filled in right!!

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really appreciate it!! Since its only 2 years old its still growing and maturing but I hope one day it will look similar to some of the amazing tanks on reef2reef.
You are pretty much there;)

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like my tank. I have GSP almost on the whole back wall of the tank. I have to scrub out the slots on the overflow. It’s not a Red Sea reefer, btw.
At first, I thought it was cool but now it’s a pain. They are taking over almost all my live rock.
We have had GSP in our tank for over 5 years without any problem. We only allow it to grow on the overflow. We don't keep any rocks near it either. Maybe we just have been lucky lol.

Jlentz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’ve got a love/hate relationship with mine. It’s so relaxing to watch but it’s a pain to trim back. I’m working on replacing all my rocks now. It was scary fast when it got to my rocks and overgrew everything on them.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 23.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back