Moved my tank today.....

Rikerbear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to move my tank today to get the room clear for new carpet next weekend. It took me 5 hrs.
I took my time, and made sure everything went smoothly, and as stress free as possible for all my squishes and fishes.
I fried the heater when I left it dry and plugged in.....soon as water hot it it snapped....luckily I was able to snatch the plug and get it out of the sump before it did any damage.
Since everything was broken down and in buckets I took the chance and FW dipped my royal gramma. Hope the stress of the move AND the dip weren't to much for the little guy. I haven't seen him in hours :sad:
But if he survived it I hope it helped with his ich
And I get to do it all over again next Saturday evening, or Sunday morning......UGH :xd:

jhs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I can relate. Moved 2 tanks 3 times in the last 5 yrs. I buy repo homes remodel them and then i seem to find another one i like better so i move again
Funny thing is the reef tanks i set up in family rooms or living areas seem to aid in selling the home.

EpicWin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing with moving tanks is that when u mess with the sand bed, even just moving it a little, u are asking for trouble.

OP
OP
Rikerbear

Rikerbear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you gotta do what you gotta do ...
I always knew I was gonna have to move it once the hubby decided on the new carpet.
So far so good on the move. All the corals are open and looking normal, fish are being fish, and the cuc all seem to be accounted for.
Parameters all seem to be acceptable too
My guess is I will get lucky with this move but will suffer when I do the second move next weekend :squigglemouth:

SkimHeavy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing with moving tanks is that when u mess with the sand bed, even just moving it a little, u are asking for trouble.

Could be trouble but not always. Sand bed depth has a lot to do with that and how much the sand is stirred up. With a 1 to 1.5" sand bed moving it more than a little is no problem. If you pull the sand bed to move the tank, you will really stir some stuff up. Then your better off rinsing it before putting it back in. I've moved tanks across town, draining all the ware but leaving the sandbed in the tank. No issues at all.

OP
OP
Rikerbear

Rikerbear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be trouble but not always. Sand bed depth has a lot to do with that and how much the sand is stirred up. With a 1 to 1.5" sand bed moving it more than a little is no problem. If you pull the sand bed to move the tank, you will really stir some stuff up. Then your better off rinsing it before putting it back in. I've moved tanks across town, draining all the ware but leaving the sand bed in the tank. No issues at all.
I have about 1.5 inch bed....lots of sand sifters so it's always getting stirred up anyways. I am not to terribly worried.

El Chavito

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
****. Never fun to move the tank, but at one point or another you will have to. Two times in such a short a short time? Not looking forward to it, but I will have to do the same when I remove my carpet. About 6 months ago I moved my 57 gallon, cleaned the sandbed completely and had no problems. Just keep feeding the fish and supplement vitamins if you can so they build up a good immunity for the stress of having to move again.

OP
OP
Rikerbear

Rikerbear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
**** if you can so they build up a good immunity for the stress of having to move again.
Great idea!! I have been feeding garlic and vit c to help with an ich issue (now appears gone)....I will add in a more balanced vit sup
Thanks for the suggestion!
:bigsmile:

OP
OP
Rikerbear

Rikerbear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything still seems to be doing great. Fish are all happy, corals all open and feeding, other inverts being onery as usual.
Parameters are staying well within acceptable areas.
Been feeding a little lighter but have pumped it up with extra vitamins and am only feeding fresh clam and shrimp right now.
Moving them back to their PERMINATE spot Saturday late afternoon. And there they shall stay for at least the next 8 years we plan to be in this house.

Protein Skimmers – Are They Really Necessary?

• YES

Votes: 73 53.3%
  • NO

Votes: 42 30.7%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 19 13.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back