Moved tank today cracked glass at bulkhead

Nick762

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved my tank today to a new house and just when I finished setting it up I noticed a crack on the bottom of the tank by the drain to the sump. There’s some signs of slight water leaks. How urgent is this should I drain the tank and move the fish to a holding bucket for now with a heater and a filter?

6F57457B-4591-4CC5-A69A-8C5D9C938012.jpeg 334357DF-0141-4428-AAAA-30D10C160831.jpeg 685A9F77-78D1-499D-931D-741A5CF14531.jpeg

OP
OP
N

Nick762

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not hesitate to drain that tank. Water always finds a way.
I’m in the process of making a new DT to replace that one. Do you think it’ll be fine for about a week until the next one is finished?

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the process of making a new DT to replace that one. Do you think it’ll be fine for about a week until the next one is finished?
It’s a roll of the dice.

Often as the pressure sits on the crack it will expand and poof

You really don’t have much in the tank

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, you are now dealing with a probable disaster potentially in process. I would get everything into another tank or large plastic container. Make a run to Lowes, Home Depot or Wal-Mart. Best to leave the sand behind unless you are going to wash it really good and add a starter bacteria. Consider getting some biomedia and starter bacteria if needed. Good luck!

OP
OP
N

Nick762

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, you are now dealing with a probable disaster potentially in process. I would get everything into another tank or large plastic container. Make a run to Lowes, Home Depot or Wal-Mart. Best to leave the sand behind unless you are going to wash it really good and add a starter bacteria. Consider getting some biomedia and starter bacteria if needed. Good luck!
I’ll probably do that then, I might be able to house them in the fuge so I can keep the skimmer running and just have the return pump into the first chamber of the sump. Thoughts on that?

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll probably do that then, I might be able to house them in the fuge so I can keep the skimmer running and just have the return pump into the first chamber of the sump. Thoughts on that?
That’s a decent plan

glency

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Very easy answer for you: it’s fine, until it isn’t. Are you ok if it catastrophically fails before the time you decide to deal with it?

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to see that, glad it is drained. How thick is the glass on the tank? It looks too tall for that glass thickness.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.8%
Back