Moved to a new apartment.

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning guys.

I’ve moved from my old rental place to an apartment. I haven’t moved my 20 gallon reef tank yet. I was thinking about I’ll buy 4, 5 gallons of rodi water. Can’t really make my own Rodi water due to the apartment bathrooms have no way for me to fit it. ( I’ll figure it out later ). Don’t wanna deal with the shops salt either. Fill two buckets I already have and put my rocks in one with all the inverts and the other with fish. Going to replace the sand only. I’m using HOB for filtration only.

my question was how much salt do I mix in each bucket?

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Enough to get to 1.024-1.026 be good enough.

If wanting to know exact grams to use I have no clue,but it will be on your salt manufacturers website I guess.
I know with instant ocean I use 10 gallons rodi and I put in a 2kg bag of salt and that's exactly 1 026 on my refractometer

Upvote 0

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not an answer to the actual question, but hopefully it is helpful... I also live in an apt and have a 20g tank. I ended up attaching my RO/DI unit to my kitchen sink with a faucet diverter valve. It sits pretty well out of the way against one wall on my countertop, but it could also sit under the kitchen sink, or hang on the wall if I wanted.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Danroo

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Enough to get to 1.024-1.026 be good enough.

If wanting to know exact grams to use I have no clue,but it will be on your salt manufacturers website I guess.
I know with instant ocean I use 10 gallons rodi and I put in a 2kg bag of salt and that's exactly 1 026 on my refractometer
Yes. I needed to know how much should I make in each bucket. I’m not aware of the math. I feel like if I made 1.024 in every bucket it’s gonna be around 5.000 ppm.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Danroo

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not an answer to the actual question, but hopefully it is helpful... I also live in an apt and have a 20g tank. I ended up attaching my RO/DI unit to my kitchen sink with a faucet diverter valve. It sits pretty well out of the way against one wall on my countertop, but it could also sit under the kitchen sink, or hang on the wall if I wanted.
It really is helpful. I’m not sure I’m if I’m allowed in this new place to mess with the plumbing I didn’t mess with it in last one. I had laundry room so they had a separate sink where I made my rodi. I’m not sure what to do in this apartment

Upvote 0

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really is helpful. I’m not sure I’m if I’m allowed in this new place to mess with the plumbing I didn’t mess with it in last one. I had laundry room so they had a separate sink where I made my rodi. I’m not sure what to do in this apartment
Exactly -- I was really afraid to mess w/the plumbing, too. This ended up being a solution that has worked well for me and I didn't need to seriously alter anything in the apartment.

Upvote 0

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this calculator link when mixing salt water.

Upvote 0

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I needed to know how much should I make in each bucket. I’m not aware of the math. I feel like if I made 1.024 in every bucket it’s gonna be around 5.000 ppm.
Sorry I'm unsure what you mean by it will be 5.000 ppm.
I only know that 1.026 specific gravity is around 35 ppt salinity or something like this.
What is 5.000 ppm your referring to.
I live in a second floor flat ( what americans call aparements) I will take a picture of rodi set up now for you im a plumbing and gas engineer so that helps so could done Any connection I wanted but I choose to just use compression fittings and only need 2x pump pliers and be able to turn mains water off for a bit,should have access to a stop clock in every premises.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a drain adapter for rodi tubing to go in waste pipe.

Then had to use plastic push fittings and use a equal tee and elbow and re-connect metal braided hose for cold water tap.

then ran little length of copper pipe from the pushfit elbow and connected a 15mm elbow washer machine valve and connect the inlet for rodi tubing .

So my 4 stage rodi unit is permantely plumbed into my cold water mains and just tirn it on when needed and its out of sight when not in use under my kitchen sink in kitchen.
when in use I got some rodi tubing connected to outlet after di resin and it coils up nicely under kitchen sink and just peg on the rodi tubing to opening of 5 gallon containers ive got.

And last picture is my 5 gallon drums infront of sink when making rodi water.which is just few hours once a week so no big deal at all.
And dont need be a plumber to use pushfit fittings as just push pipe in and then hand tighten,and with compression fittings hold fitting with one set pump pliers and tighten with other so only need very very basic doy skills to install rodi set up the way I did.
20211222_165808.jpg 20211222_165816.jpg 20211222_165840.jpg Screenshot_20211222-171426_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a drain adapter for rodi tubing to go in waste pipe.

Then had to use plastic push fittings and use a equal tee and elbow and re-connect metal braided hose for cold water tap.

then ran little length of copper pipe from the pushfit elbow and connected a 15mm elbow washer machine valve and connect the inlet for rodi tubing .

So my 4 stage rodi unit is permantely plumbed into my cold water mains and just tirn it on when needed and its out of sight when not in use under my kitchen sink in kitchen.
when in use I got some rodi tubing connected to outlet after di resin and it coils up nicely under kitchen sink and just peg on the rodi tubing to opening of 5 gallon containers ive got.

And last picture is my 5 gallon drums infront of sink when making rodi water.which is just few hours once a week so no big deal at all.
And dont need be a plumber to use pushfit fittings as just push pipe in and then hand tighten,and with compression fittings hold fitting with one set pump pliers and tighten with other so only need very very basic doy skills to install rodi set up the way I did.
20211222_165808.jpg 20211222_165816.jpg 20211222_165840.jpg Screenshot_20211222-171426_Gallery.jpg
It's not about DIY skills tho, it's about when you live in a rental you're generally not supposed to alter anything like this -- some even don't allow you to nail things like art, shelves, etc, into the walls. You can always do it anyway and then take it apart and put it back the way it was when you move out. but if any damage is done, the cost to repair that will come out of your deposit. If the cost is greater than your deposit, you'll be charged for it.

If it's in the actual lease that you can't, and you violate it to do it anyway, and the landlord finds out, that is grounds for terminating the lease.

Upvote 0

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not about DIY skills tho, it's about when you live in a rental you're generally not supposed to alter anything like this -- some even don't allow you to nail things like art, shelves, etc, into the walls. You can always do it anyway and then take it apart and put it back the way it was when you move out. but if any damage is done, the cost to repair that will come out of your deposit. If the cost is greater than your deposit, you'll be charged for it.

If it's in the actual lease that you can't, and you violate it to do it anyway, and the landlord finds out, that is grounds for terminating the lease.
Fair enough then.
Maybe rules much stricter there.
I'm in rented flat at moment and had 3 rented houses in last 13 years also and I've never been told by my landlord that cant do stuff like this ,I remember one landlord in one the houses saying if we take up the laminate floor and change it then we must leave it when we leave,what we did was put wooden floors down and when left after year and a bit,we took our wooden floor with us and bought the cheapest laminate floor there was and put it down in living room ( landlord wasn't happy as thought we was going leave the nice new expensive wooden floor lol) told him we took up chipped,dented in poor state laminate floor and then replaced before we left with brand new cheap laminate so be happy lol

But yeah fair enough if says in tenancy agreement that you can't and don't want risk it then don't do it.
Me personally I would still install a rodi unit under the sink under out the way but that's just me ^_^

Upvote 0

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the whole rodi thing is much easier than what is suggested for the most part. the BRS systems, for example, come with an adapter that is much easier to setup, and requires no changes to plumbing at all. you simply unscrew the screen from the tap, screw in the adapter that comes with it....done. no changes to plumbing, no tools required.

Upvote 0

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the whole rodi thing is much easier than what is suggested for the most part. the BRS systems, for example, come with an adapter that is much easier to setup, and requires no changes to plumbing at all. you simply unscrew the screen from the tap, screw in the adapter that comes with it....done. no changes to plumbing, no tools required.
Yes, I believe that is exactly what I did and mentioned in my earlier posts on this thread. It's nice the BRS units come with. I got my unit elsewhere and had to purchase the adapter separately, but it was not expensive.

Upvote 0

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I believe that is exactly what I did and mentioned in my earlier posts on this thread. It's nice the BRS units come with. I got my unit elsewhere and had to purchase the adapter separately, but it was not expensive.
ya. super simple. since the part unscrews, it can be removed easily without damage, and replaced when/if you move again

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back