Moving 4 month old reef tank

diverjm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
I’ve had my Biocube 32 setup now for about 4 months. I started my tank with 30 lbs of TBS live rock and 20 lbs of TBS live sand. I’m moving 5 mins away from my current apartment. I’ve done some research about moving reef tanks and wondered if I could get some insight regarding the live sand. My system is fairly new but I’m worried if I keep my current live sand, I’m going to stir up detritus and create a mini cycle. I tossed around the idea of rinsing the current sand but there are a ton of worms and other detritus eating creatures that reside in my sand bed and I’m worried if I rinse in freshwater, I’ll kill all of the creatures with also could contribute to a mini cycle. I purchased some new “live sand” (Fiji pink) but was curious if I'm going to see elevated Ammonia levels due to the sand not having the beneficial bacteria that my current sand houses. Also, I haven’t had any algae ugly issues due to the live rock and sand. I’m wondering if the new sand could cause algae issues in the future due to lack of biological diversity. Any help is appreciated!

OP
OP
diverjm

diverjm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just rinse the sand and you’ll be fine.. I’ve done it numerous times and most recently 3 weeks ago on a huge tank.. no cycle and no problems
Did you have a ton of CC living in the sand??

OP
OP
diverjm

diverjm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have hundreds of clear worms, feather dusters, serpent stars and other animals from the ocean live sand. Seems like it would be a lot of die off from the freshwater bath.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have hundreds of clear worms, feather dusters, serpent stars and other animals from the ocean live sand. Seems like it would be a lot of die off from the freshwater bath.
It would be… you actually got sand out of the ocean or you bought a bag of live sand and believe all those are in it? Lol.. when they say live they mean bacteria there’s no critters..

OP
OP
diverjm

diverjm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be… you actually got sand out of the ocean or you bought a bag of live sand and believe all those are in it? Lol.. when they say live they mean bacteria there’s no critters..
I have live sand from Tampa bay saltwater. They collect it directly from the ocean and overnight ship in via Air freight. Plus I see the creatures with my own eyes!

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have live sand from Tampa bay saltwater. They collect it directly from the ocean and overnight ship in via Air freight. Plus I see the creatures with my own eyes!
You don’t have to rinse it but then there’s risks.. try to move it without disturbing it the best you can.. I wasn’t worried about anything living in my sand.. the rocks are the most beneficial part of a tank.

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 4 months old it's probably not dirty at all. You could also just give it a good stir in the old tank water, then discard the water and move the tank. I personally would just leave the sand in the bottom of the tank while I moved it and not worry about it. If I tested for ammonia and found any, I would just add some Prime.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back