Moving 47 year old reef 60 miles. OMG

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, you have so much going on at once. I am a little younger than you (not much) but I would be struggling with all of this happening at once. Good luck to you and I hope you have some help.

Funny you mentioned the Toronado. Weren't they also among the first with anti-lock brakes? I remember a friend bought one of the first ones from the local dealer and brought it back a number of times because he didn't think the brakes were working right. He couldn't lock them up. :)

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has written some books. I've got "The Avant-Garde Marine Aquarist" and it's as colorful and delightful as these posts. I wish school book sellers hired people like Paul. The entire world would be smarter in a decade or two.

Paul I hope this move continues to go smoothly. I've been enjoying your tirals and tribulations will continue to read about them happily.

Oh wow, I had no idea. Sorry Paul B, I didn’t realize that you were an established author already. I’ll have to check it out! ;)

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Paul, glad you survived the move. After 36 years in the RCAF, I've done my fair share of moves and hated every one.

How is Mrs B coping? I hope that the stress of the move hasn't aggravated her condition.

Jerry

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was questioned by a Bay Consulate while collecting water. He didn’t know if it was illegal, but figured it was because no one else was doing it. As he starts writing a ticket,

I used to have an urchin collection business (urchin Searchin Enterprise) and I would SCUBA for urchins. I figured I would call the Dept of Environmental Conservation for a permit. I was sure you needed some sort of permit for those. I asked the lady if I needed a permit. She said "Whats an Urchin?" I figured I didn't need a permit and collected them for a few years.

, Reminds me of Nelson DeMille, ironically he rote a book Plumb Island set in the very same Wine country you now live in, If you don't already know about it you will. I also like your position on American cars and tools. BTW thanks for buying a jeep.

I actually know Nelson DeMille and he was a Captain in Nam the year before I was there. He didn't live far from me. I have all his books and he is one of my favorite authors. I don't live to far from Plum Island and can get there on my boat. His previous book "The Gold Coast" started in a plant nursery near my old house and it is about this area. :)

I also like your position on american cars and tools. BTW thanks for buying a jeep.

I have had many Jeeps and will always buy American cars, or at least care with American sounding names. :rolleyes:
If they stop completely making "American" cars, I will just have old cars or build it my self ;). I also only buy American made sneakers and everything else if possible. :cool:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope smooth sailing from here. And, your wife is gorgeous.

Actually As I said someplace we were in a wedding party together and she was beautiful. I tried to go out with her until I found out she was 12. :eek: I was 18 but she also looked 18 and all her friends were my age. Her dad was still alive then and he was a big butcher with huge hands and was a wounded combat Veteran from the South Pacific and he would have skinned me alive if I even looked at her, and I didn't blame him. But I dater her cousin who was 17.

Then a year later I got drafted and forgot mostly about her as I have a memory like a Pod. A very old pod. After a year in the Army you get to come home for a month before you went to Viet Nam and in that month I went out with her and I figured she was 18.
I didn't have plates on my car so we walked about a mile, in the cold to a neighborhood bar. (drinking age then was 18 because you got drafted at 18 so it would be stupid to let you get killed but not drink) Remember she was 13 or 14 but looked 18.

It was like Tuesday so there was no one in the bar and Carol, the Bar Maid who looked a little ,well I won't say it, was laying on her back on the bar sleeping.
She got up and asked what we wanted. I must have had a Scotch, Grand Marnier, Screwdriver or some such thing.
She asked "My future wife" what she wanted and my "date" said. I'll have a "Singapore Sling"
Carol woke up and looked at her and said "What do you think this is Doll, The Waldorf!"
Have a beer.

So I went to Viet Nam and she wrote me almost every day.
When I got out a year later our first Date was on the Stated Island Ferry. It was about 5 below zero :D

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have all his books and he is one of my favorite authors.
He is a cult Favorite here in the Auto plants and his books get passed around, BTW I think Belarosa's kid moved in next to me, Im keeping eye on that one.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are settling in here and some of our friends came over to help us. Actually 2 of them are our friends that bought next door.

Yes, I know, we are all Geezers now. But we have friends since high school. Don't worry, you will get there and good friends for so long are one of the best things you can have.

The tank is starting to look decent although I have a lot more stuff and water to put into it. Still no skimmer, ozone, thermometer, UG filter or much light or gravel.

The bed I built looks very cool and industrial if I do say so myself. And I do.
Check out the wheels :D

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are settling in here and some of our friends came over to help us. Actually 2 of them are our friends that bought next door.

Yes, I know, we are all Geezers now. But we have friends since high school. Don't worry, you will get there and good friends for so long are one of the best things you can have.

The tank is starting to look decent although I have a lot more stuff and water to put into it. Still no skimmer, ozone, thermometer, UG filter or much light or gravel.

The bed I built looks very cool and industrial if I do say so myself. And I do.
Check out the wheels :D

It's going to be kind of hard to add the UG filter now.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really. It's in there, just not hooked up to anything and one of the tubes came apart but I can reach into the back to fix it pretty easily. There isn't enough gravel in there now for it to do anything anyway. :D

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I remember correct, you run your under gravel filter as an up flow? Man, takes me back. Undergravel filters with air stones to run them. It was like upgrading to a Cadillac to get a powerhead to run one. Live rock was real live rock. Had no clue what was going to pop out of it.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope the new tank is not in the basement. As one get's older stairs are not our friend.:)

It is on the ground level and my condo is above it so until I get the elevator in, it is a hike to get up the stairs. A few weeks ago I had those 3 sets of shots in my knees. It is supposed to be some kind of Jell that takes up the place where meniscus used to be when I was 20. I think he switched the needles and put in crushed coral instead. I had those series of shots twice and I can tell you, they don't work.
I just need new knees and when I get time I will go to Home Depot for some of those pressure treated ones.

The problem with new knees is they want you to go for therapy after that and I feel therapy is for Sissies who got a splinter and figured that was the worst thing that ever happened to them. Either that or Golfers. I live next to a golf course and just don't get it. I know, its a fault in me.
It's also $250.00 to play a round so I doubt I will be partaking in that "sport".

Tonight we are going to the Country Club. Yes, in our Condo, you get a free one year membership in this Country Club so I can walk around with my nose up in the air and look rich, intelligent and Snooty. :rolleyes:

Actually the people here are all very nice like the people in California. But with less of a tan. Everybody is extremely nice I can't believe it. We went to Home Depot yesterday and when I got out of my very cool canary yellow new Jeep a woman near me was struggling trying to put this box in her car. I went over and asked if she needed help. She said "Om my God, Thank you so much, that is so nice of you". I was thinking maybe she thought I was going to give her a kidney. She kept thanking me and saying how kind I was. The box weighed about 3 1/2 lbs. Then she ran after my wife to thank her for lending me to her. I mean really nice. If I had time she would have baked me a pie, tucked me in at night and trimmed my nose hairs. :eek:
Most of the people here are like that. It's a nice change from where I lived closer to Manhattan. People were nice there too, after they mugged you, they thanked you and gave you a tip. :confused:

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*yawn*

FWIW I shook the guys hand at a meeting here in town about 15 years ago. The BS has just gotten thicker since then. This site, that site and then some... Unbelievable.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 82 79.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.9%
Back