Moving 5+ hours...

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK... I just had an idea.

You are planning the move next weekend correct? Do you have access to the new place now or do you have to wait for the first of the month?

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I will tell you now.. PLAN for the "Drip drip" thing. It will more likely happen than not. (plumbing is my most hated enemy..)

For the actual move.. 5g buckets will be easier. Ever tried to pick up a 30g brute can filled with water and rock? Not gonna happen! Get a couple 30g totes from walmart.. pack all your sheets and blankets in them and use them for the move.. then when you get home, dump them out and you have your bedding ready AND a place to put your fish, corals, rocks, water, heaters, and wavemakers into!! Win WIN!!

If you have to get it all done for the move on "Saturday", get as much done as you can ahead of time. Any bare rocks can be taken out at any time and placed in buckets... They don't need heat, but water movement will help. Remember I said a few cheap powerheads?

The rocks with attached corals and of course the fish will need to be held both at temp, and with flow. For the fish, the issue here is oxygen exchange more than temp. The corals will be fine with lower levels but won't appreciate getting too cold.

We are NOT talking about the 5-6 hours drive. We are talking about the reality of the time from Removal to reintroduction. I promise you that it is most likely at LEAST 3 days. THIS is what you need to prepare for.
Will a marine pure block be fine in water that is unheated? as it is somewhat replicating live rock? I basically have my sump packed with live rock and whatever didn’t fit there is in my display. I am getting more confident as the goes on.

I do not currently have access to the new place as the old renters are still in it. I honestly don’t even really have an idea where the tank is going… I’m not really well prepared on that front but am trying to get everything in order

I honestly can’t really figure out a way to get the tank there after my move… sounds silly but it’s less about distance and more about the ability to carry it / load it in a truck. My little Honda isn’t carrying a 65 gallon tank and stand… let alone my 100 lb German Shepherd!

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So that is where stuff gets interesting.. I am lucky enough to have some people whom will help me move the tank and whatnot into the truck and then from there I am basically on my own. I have someone coming to help me with the move but they aren’t fish versed and I assure you they will try to get everything else done before the fish.

the problem isn’t really with time it’s more about the ability to move the tank
And whatnot at the same time to the new house as it will have to go into the moving truck… also would
Be only time I get help to unload it /whatnot.

I am planning on everything making the move as there has been times I’ve had my sump off and just the tank was going. I mean people have tanks without sumps…

If I can manage to get the sump disconnected and all the plumbing off I will be in good shape. All my plumbing has multiple disconnect points as I used … unions? I think they are called…. Been a while.

Question is… what will go wrong as I haven’t had everything planned… drip drip sounds like an issue.

I’mhoping this is not nearly as stressful as i am
Making it as at the end of the day I am moving a bunch of live rock, some corals and sand along with the equipment.

Do you think I’d have much luck putting all my live rock in say a 30 gallon trash can with enough water to cover it, throw a battery powered air stone in there and hope for the best? Same with the corals?

I won’t have anyone nagging me for beds or whatnot and will most likely miss a few steps as I plan on setting it up as I go… I am just hoping everything makes the move alright
Rock unheated is fine. I agree 5 gallon buckets are best to actually move but, can be loaded into something bigger. Like at your new house, load in the brute for having 1 pump or stone.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will a marine pure block be fine in water that is unheated? as it is somewhat replicating live rock? I basically have my sump packed with live rock and whatever didn’t fit there is in my display. I am getting more confident as the goes on.

I do not currently have access to the new place as the old renters are still in it. I honestly don’t even really have an idea where the tank is going… I’m not really well prepared on that front but am trying to get everything in order

I honestly can’t really figure out a way to get the tank there after my move… sounds silly but it’s less about distance and more about the ability to carry it / load it in a truck. My little Honda isn’t carrying a 65 gallon tank and stand… let alone my 100 lb German Shepherd!

Well that kills my idea of moving all the rocks and stock this weekend ahead of the move. How much time do you have to clear out of the old place?

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that kills my idea of moving all the rocks and stock this weekend ahead of the move. How much time do you have to clear out of the old place?
I do have a little bit of time as we are listing the house. However like
I said it would be ideal all together due to lack of space later on. I don’t want to have to rent another truck to bring just the tank 200+ miles.

any preference on power heads? I only seem to find wired power heads but was looking for battery. I guess just a battery airstone will do well enough.

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rocks and corals in a bucket should be no worse off than an overnight shipment from Tampa bay saltwater or KP aquatics...or any other online purchase of livestock....we're not talking rock wrapped in newspaper shipped from indonesia 40 years ago...my move from NY to NC was 12 hrs...only used an battery airstone for my freshwater fish...(no fish in salt tank...hurricane sandy killed them head of time)

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done this a few times. DC to Boston, Boston to NC, NC to Boston. I strongly recommend that you do not worry about getting your destination tank set up in the new house right away. Get a stock tank of some kind. Can even be a sturdy Rubbermaid tote. Have a heater, a pump for flow/aeration. Plenty of fresh saltwater already made.

It will take very little to get that set up , and because it's a very simple holding setup, there are basically no points of failure.

Do not forget that when you move a tank, you risk bumping a corner, or worse, seams can sneakily be compromised when tanks are lifted. I had this happen to a freshwater tank when I moved from LA to Philadelphia. 75 gallons of water right on that new floor. I was POPULAR that day.

When you get to the new house, get your coral and rock into the temp holding tank, then worry about the real tank over the next few days.

This will make your life WAY easier and lead to more domestic tranquility.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about this?

Move all of your stock into a holding tank at your current place this weekend. A large brute can will be fine for that.. Powerhead and heater and it should be fine. Then you can break down your tank over the next week and be ready to go on moving day.

You could even mount one of your lights over the can to keep the corals happy. At the last minute, move the livestock into 5g buckets and make the trip. As soon as you get to the new place, everybody back into the Brute can, same setup. Then you can rebuild your system.

It is not "ideal", but seems to be the best option given what you propose.

If you get the Aquaclear powerheads I linked to before, you can skip the airstone and utilize the "Venturi" air flow.

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you're worrying about heating your rock? where the heck are you? its gonna be 96 here today...too cool is better than too hot

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about this?

Move all of your stock into a holding tank at your current place this weekend. A large brute can will be fine for that.. Powerhead and heater and it should be fine. Then you can break down your tank over the next week and be ready to go on moving day.

You could even mount one of your lights over the can to keep the corals happy. At the last minute, move the livestock into 5g buckets and make the trip. As soon as you get to the new place, everybody back into the Brute can, same setup. Then you can rebuild your system.

It is not "ideal", but seems to be the best option given what you propose.

If you get the Aquaclear powerheads I linked to before, you can skip the airstone and utilize the "Venturi" air flow.
I really like the idea of a temp holding system which would allow me to break the actual tank down at a more ideal pace.

I can follow everything I am just curious what the answer would be for the sand / snails / inverts? Would I also put them in a bucket for a few days?

I guess the temp might be a concern as I am forgetting it’s 85 degrees out… I’m hoping flow will solve some of those issues

I mean people go bare bottom… so like sand Isn’t required which I have to remember… what I am curious of tho is what would be ideal to keep my sand alive? I do intend on rinsing it regardless …

also what about little sand sifting snails and stuff..? Rip to them?

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done this a few times. DC to Boston, Boston to NC, NC to Boston. I strongly recommend that you do not worry about getting your destination tank set up in the new house right away. Get a stock tank of some kind. Can even be a sturdy Rubbermaid tote. Have a heater, a pump for flow/aeration. Plenty of fresh saltwater already made.

It will take very little to get that set up , and because it's a very simple holding setup, there are basically no points of failure.

Do not forget that when you move a tank, you risk bumping a corner, or worse, seams can sneakily be compromised when tanks are lifted. I had this happen to a freshwater tank when I moved from LA to Philadelphia. 75 gallons of water right on that new floor. I was POPULAR that day.

When you get to the new house, get your coral and rock into the temp holding tank, then worry about the real tank over the next few days.

This will make your life WAY easier and lead to more domestic tranquility.
I’m moving from Boston to maine… 3 + hours but am planning on it being a slow drive in a 20 foot moving truck… I do like the holding tank idea I will plan on doing that. I do have two huge brute cans as they hold my rodi / fresh salt water.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the idea of a temp holding system which would allow me to break the actual tank down at a more ideal pace.

I can follow everything I am just curious what the answer would be for the sand / snails / inverts? Would I also put them in a bucket for a few days?

I guess the temp might be a concern as I am forgetting it’s 85 degrees out… I’m hoping flow will solve some of those issues

I mean people go bare bottom… so like sand Isn’t required which I have to remember… what I am curious of tho is what would be ideal to keep my sand alive? I do intend on rinsing it regardless …

also what about little sand sifting snails and stuff..? Rip to them?
Snails and inverts can go in the coral temp tank too! They should be fine.

As for it being 85 degrees out, don't let your stuff get to 85 degrees. Flow won't help much with temp. To whatever degree flow leads to evaporation, which leads to cooling, the pump will be producing heat. So that's a wash at best.

I would run AC in your current house to keep things cool (with a heater in the tote), keep your car cool-ish and air condition the maine house as soon as you get there. If the house in Maine doesnt have central AC, have a window unit ready. You could try to do things like run a fan over the tank (if you must) but that leads to other headaches especially if you're not using a temp controller).

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snails and inverts can go in the coral temp tank too! They should be fine.

As for it being 85 degrees out, don't let your stuff get to 85 degrees. Flow won't help much with temp. To whatever degree flow leads to evaporation, which leads to cooling, the pump will be producing heat. So that's a wash at best.

I would run AC in your current house to keep things cool (with a heater in the tote), keep your car cool-ish and air condition the maine house as soon as you get there. If the house in Maine doesnt have central AC, have a window unit ready. You could try to do things like run a fan over the tank (if you must) but that leads to other headaches especially if you're not using a temp controller).
What would be your plan for the sand? If I was to set up a temp tank I’d obviously not add the sand but still am unsure what to do with it to keep it going? Should I just also set it up in a bucket / water and powerhead for a day?

I’m thinking about it now… I will most likely utilize an extra 40 gallon breeder I have handy that will be a tank that will hold the majority of the rocks, Corals, powerhead and more once I get over there which will give me time to make more permanent plans.

I’mthinking day before move… break down tank.. put corals/ rocks and water / inverts in big brute trash can… break down tank, get it set up so the movers the next day can just bring it right to the truck. I will then plan on breaking the temp bucket down into smaller 5 gallon buckets and then ideally have an airstone / powerhead in buckets as I go.

I’m thinking battery powered air stones in like two buckets maybe w rocks and corals and then maybe one in with the sand?
Nothing I can do with temps realistically other than try to get to my destination asap. I can always try to add some chilled Rodi if needed but I’m hoping we will have cooler weather by then.

Does this sound all good?

Still thinking on the sand haha

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

One for at least the bucket with the live corals/inverts. One for the bucket with the rock. The sand is fine as is. **Be sure to wash it completely before adding it back to the tank**

It seems amazon got deleted / i cant seem to find the link.. any chance u can re-link?

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be your plan for the sand? If I was to set up a temp tank I’d obviously not add the sand but still am unsure what to do with it to keep it going? Should I just also set it up in a bucket / water and powerhead for a day?

I’m thinking about it now… I will most likely utilize an extra 40 gallon breeder I have handy that will be a tank that will hold the majority of the rocks, Corals, powerhead and more once I get over there which will give me time to make more permanent plans.

I’mthinking day before move… break down tank.. put corals/ rocks and water / inverts in big brute trash can… break down tank, get it set up so the movers the next day can just bring it right to the truck. I will then plan on breaking the temp bucket down into smaller 5 gallon buckets and then ideally have an airstone / powerhead in buckets as I go.

I’m thinking battery powered air stones in like two buckets maybe w rocks and corals and then maybe one in with the sand?
Nothing I can do with temps realistically other than try to get to my destination asap. I can always try to add some chilled Rodi if needed but I’m hoping we will have cooler weather by then.

Does this sound all good?

Still thinking on the sand haha
Honestly if you have established rock that you feel good about (not in the middle of dinos or some nonsense) I would toss the sand. It certainly makes up a huge surface area for filtration, but you don't have any fish. Sand is cheap and now is a time to use money to reduce the complexity of all of this. Buy some fresh sand ahead of time, but deal with rinsing etc when you get to the new place.

I'm not sure how complicated your life is (partner, kids, lots of difficult things to move, etc) but for me (complicated) I would probably get the tank broken down two days before the move so that I had a day to clean it up, and still not spend the very last day before the move on the tank. "I need to be screwing with my fishtank while you load the moving truck" is likely to end with... decreased domestic tranquility. Moving is chaos. There will be so many non fish tank related things to do.

Reef tank stuff always takes twice as long as I estimate it will, and moving also takes more time and effort than I expect.

I feel quite strongly that you don't need as complicated system as you're describing for the time in transit. Think of what the fish go through to get from Fiji to here. Even from live aquaria to here. You don't even have fish. Coral consume very little oxygen. 4-6 hours in a 5 gallon bucket is nothing. If you let them get to 85 degrees, you will probably regret it.

You could put the corals in bags in a cooler and that would keep the heat out. same goes for the live rock, which I suggest transporting wet, or partially submerged with saltwater soaked clean detergent free towels over it.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than keeping it in coolers, you can keep the coolers or containers in your car and run the ac in your car. It's WAY better for your coral to be at 72f for 6 hours than 85f for 6 hours.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of helpful replies already.

I would recommend replacing the sand.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly if you have established rock that you feel good about (not in the middle of dinos or some nonsense) I would toss the sand. It certainly makes up a huge surface area for filtration, but you don't have any fish. Sand is cheap and now is a time to use money to reduce the complexity of all of this. Buy some fresh sand ahead of time, but deal with rinsing etc when you get to the new place.

I'm not sure how complicated your life is (partner, kids, lots of difficult things to move, etc) but for me (complicated) I would probably get the tank broken down two days before the move so that I had a day to clean it up, and still not spend the very last day before the move on the tank. "I need to be screwing with my fishtank while you load the moving truck" is likely to end with... decreased domestic tranquility. Moving is chaos. There will be so many non fish tank related things to do.

Reef tank stuff always takes twice as long as I estimate it will, and moving also takes more time and effort than I expect.

I feel quite strongly that you don't need as complicated system as you're describing for the time in transit. Think of what the fish go through to get from Fiji to here. Even from live aquaria to here. You don't even have fish. Coral consume very little oxygen. 4-6 hours in a 5 gallon bucket is nothing. If you let them get to 85 degrees, you will probably regret it.

You could put the corals in bags in a cooler and that would keep the heat out. same goes for the live rock, which I suggest transporting wet, or partially submerged with saltwater soaked clean detergent free towels over it.
I think the whole just getting new sand idea is seeming to be the best idea that is coming up... sand is cheap and for me to not have to worry about it will maybe take some stress off the situation...

I do agree with the fact that I am overthinking yet also still skipping things as I do have a lot of stuff on my mind with thew new move/ job / etc.

Ill plan on breaking the tank down a few days ahead of time.. I will potentially use some old water that is in the tank now to keep the corals and inverts / rocks in.

I look over at my tank and 90% of the corals are either rather really small and or they should all fit comfortably together for the short time. only a torch, duncan and mushroom coral are really the ones that have any size to them...

I will def pay attention to the temperature situation... i do overlook that the corals are happier at a cooler temp than at a higher temp.

Im thinking the majority of the rocks will fit in 2 5 gallons buckets as well as some buckets for the other stuff.. when I arrive I will make sure to take things out of their temp containers and get them set up in a better temp situation ( power head / new salt water /etc

Without complicating stuff more than it already is... do you think I would have any negative effects on the corals if I leave them in a bucket the 2 days prior to moving and they do not have a light above them?

my current light is mounted from the ceiling but below that is the tank... I guess I could try to angle the brute trashcan towards the light but I am also thinking a 48 hour blackout wont have much effect as long as gases are able to escape/ flow is moving and the temp stays alright.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the whole just getting new sand idea is seeming to be the best idea that is coming up... sand is cheap and for me to not have to worry about it will maybe take some stress off the situation...

I do agree with the fact that I am overthinking yet also still skipping things as I do have a lot of stuff on my mind with thew new move/ job / etc.

Ill plan on breaking the tank down a few days ahead of time.. I will potentially use some old water that is in the tank now to keep the corals and inverts / rocks in.

I look over at my tank and 90% of the corals are either rather really small and or they should all fit comfortably together for the short time. only a torch, duncan and mushroom coral are really the ones that have any size to them...

I will def pay attention to the temperature situation... i do overlook that the corals are happier at a cooler temp than at a higher temp.

Im thinking the majority of the rocks will fit in 2 5 gallons buckets as well as some buckets for the other stuff.. when I arrive I will make sure to take things out of their temp containers and get them set up in a better temp situation ( power head / new salt water /etc

Without complicating stuff more than it already is... do you think I would have any negative effects on the corals if I leave them in a bucket the 2 days prior to moving and they do not have a light above them?

my current light is mounted from the ceiling but below that is the tank... I guess I could try to angle the brute trashcan towards the light but I am also thinking a 48 hour blackout wont have much effect as long as gases are able to escape/ flow is moving and the temp stays alright.
I'd love there to be as little of a light schedule disruption as possible, but plenty of people do a 3 day blackout for dino treatment anyway. I don't think it would kill them, but would add stress to an already stressful situation for them.

You will have to take apart your hanging light anyway so that you can move it. Any reason not to do that the day you break down the tank? You could then use that light over the brute can.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love there to be as little of a light schedule disruption as possible, but plenty of people do a 3 day blackout for dino treatment anyway. I don't think it would kill them, but would add stress to an already stressful situation for them.

You will have to take apart your hanging light anyway so that you can move it. Any reason not to do that the day you break down the tank? You could then use that light over the brute can.
I do suppose there isnt a big reason on why i cant utilize the light during the process. It might actually be rather easy as I can potentially get under the tank itself and move it / the stand and can place the bucket there.

I am going to switch subjects really quick... Ive always rinsed my sand and am a proponent of it. I am now seeing there is not just live sand... but like live sand straight from ocean ( ocean direct...) would I still go about rinsing that as well?

Would I potentially be smart and buy a few bags of dry sand then rinse it...? I rinse the sand anyways but figured maybe can save some $$ / my tank is rather established as it has been up for 5+ years.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back