Moving a large tank (10ft / glass)

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Going over some logistics in my head and planning, it's going to be a task. Tank will be 10'x3'x27". I'm not sure how much it weighs but I was able to move my 233g with 4 people and no suction cups. Its going into the walk out basement through a doorwall so access is easy (one small step), wide.

I was considering using friends and suction cups as the entry would be easy, it's just a long walk through the back yard to the basement door.

Has anyone moved a tank this large? With 10+ strong-ish men is it possible to carry? Or should I bite the bullet and have a moving company move it?

SamBackspins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The largest tank I have moved was a 230 gallon, sump, and stand, took four people with suction cups, and was being moved out of one building and into another a few miles away, we were doing it commercially for a business.

We drained some water into 55-gallon trash cans, moved all coral, rock, and fish into their own designated trash cans, and then pumped out the rest into a 500-gallon reservoir in a box truck. Everything was moved semi-easily with the four guys, and then water was pumped back in along, rock and everything were put back in. Overall took 1.5-2 hours.

I know that doesn't answer the question exactly, but it may give some direction. I think 6-8 moderately strong people with suction cups could do it fine, but you're gonna want to get as much water as is possible out of it.

And for what it's worth, a commercial move where I work is ~10 bucks per gallon depending on how difficult it is, how soon it needs to be done, how far it is, and how many steps up it is.

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I should have specified - it's a new tank, so, empty. Back yard is grass which then switches to pavers near the door wall. There is a slight grade to the back yard, I was considering driving it to the back yard via the truck... Less to haul.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a tank that size, honestly I'd just pay movers. If you accidentally break it, your out a multi thousand dollar tank. If they break it, you get a free, shiny new tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My 660g took 6 guys (4 were movers) and no suction cups and we came through the patio doors after removing them

SamBackspins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have specified - it's a new tank, so, empty. Back yard is grass which then switches to pavers near the door wall. There is a slight grade to the back yard, I was considering driving it to the back yard via the truck... Less to haul.
6-10 medium-strength men with suction cups, place some dollys down in the yard in case you need to take a breather part way through, probably won't need to but just in case.

DucatiGtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved my 7x3x30 with about 8 people .. I’ll double check that number.. and we are all fairly strong and labor people... I felt every ounce of it. You are going to need at least 10.. I would get some sort of device to move it if possible
Or maybe my guys are week and I should have used my gym buds.. idk lol

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooooof ..... 10’ tank, assuming 3/4” glass, will be pushing 1,000 pounds. 10 robust lads minimum. I always assumed 100 pounds (and two beers) per volunteer.

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a tank that size, honestly I'd just pay movers. If you accidentally break it, your out a multi thousand dollar tank. If they break it, you get a free, shiny new tank.
FYI - Verify how much a moving company will pay out before you hire.

I thought I saw somewhere that most moving companies only pay around 50 cents a pound. so a 500lb tank is only going to pay out around $250...not even close to covering the cost of a new one.

A specialty moving company might pay out the full cost...but I would guess the cost to hire would be much higher.

luvinreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going over some logistics in my head and planning, it's going to be a task. Tank will be 10'x3'x27". I'm not sure how much it weighs but I was able to move my 233g with 4 people and no suction cups. Its going into the walk out basement through a doorwall so access is easy (one small step), wide.

I was considering using friends and suction cups as the entry would be easy, it's just a long walk through the back yard to the basement door.

Has anyone moved a tank this large? With 10+ strong-ish men is it possible to carry? Or should I bite the bullet and have a moving company move it?
10 plus guys can move a lot of weight but I would recommed getting some suction cups. You can probably rent them from some where. The good thing is since it's so long getting 5 guys on each side won't be a problem. Although, picturing it in my head, you might want to get 12.

Bruce60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had custom made 300 and 400 gallon tanks built into new construction. I had them lifted into place on their stands with a small lift (like a pallet jack - pallet jack for rent). The tanks were shipped on pallets, so it was trivial to lift. Just have people to help guide the tank into place.

I know it avoids a lot of beloved cursing and grunting, but it is the 2020's...

Back