Moving a reef tank to a other state

reef fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Moving a reef tank to a other state any body know a good company that will do the job plz let be know ??

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I researched about this before. Cross-country from Philly to CO. The name of the game is to minimize risk.

Easiest: sell everything and build new tank in the new place. You can keep some of your equipment if you want. I.E. skimmer, return pump, apex, etc.

If you want to keep corals, its best to get some frags of your current corals and start those on your new tank. Sell the rest. If you try moving your grown corals, most likely scenario.. you lose them.
Unless.. you already have a tank set up on the new place then. It might survive a 16 h 36 min (1,151.0 miles) drive... Thats a very small %.

Your fishes would have a higher % survival in that drive. As long you provide bubbler and heaters.

So.. yeah. Sell them all, and start over. That would minimize your lost and heartbreak

Eggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless.. you already have a tank set up on the new place then. It might survive a 16 h 36 min (1,151.0 miles) drive... Thats a very small %.

I just moved a setup a similar distance and did just this.....went first to setup a temporary tank and built up extra saltwater as well as RODI water.

Next trip I hauled fish in a 100g stock tank (I have a large suv) with two air bubblers and drove pretty much no stop (had a 3 hour nap at a rest area). I kept vehicle temperature reasonable so I wouldn’t have to use heaters in the stock tank.
Over night temps were too low to crash at a hotel and leave livestock in suv.
Corals were in small containers in styrofoam boxes.
Everything made it alive so far.

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just moved a setup a similar distance and did just this.....went first to setup a temporary tank and built up extra saltwater as well as RODI water.

Next trip I hauled fish in a 100g stock tank (I have a large suv) with two air bubblers and drove pretty much no stop (had a 3 hour nap at a rest area). I kept vehicle temperature reasonable so I wouldn’t have to use heaters in the stock tank.
Over night temps were too low to crash at a hotel and leave livestock in suv.
Corals were in small containers in styrofoam boxes.
Everything made it alive so far.
LoL.. somehow I didn't think about the car AC.. so yeah bubblers are the priority one.

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I researched about this before. Cross-country from Philly to CO. The name of the game is to minimize risk.

Easiest: sell everything and build new tank in the new place. You can keep some of your equipment if you want. I.E. skimmer, return pump, apex, etc.

If you want to keep corals, its best to get some frags of your current corals and start those on your new tank. Sell the rest. If you try moving your grown corals, most likely scenario.. you lose them.

Your fishes would have a higher % survival in that drive. As long you provide bubbler and heaters.

So.. yeah. Sell them all, and start over. That would minimize your lost and heartbreak

This or have a new tank setup at your new destination.

rob taft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working for the military I have moved numerous times. Unless you can setup a tank in the new location and get it established, I would say forget it. Break the tank down, sell off the fish and corals and crate the tank and bring it and the associated equipment along with you. I moved a number of times and I endowed the local fish stores with my livestock or found a good home. It pained me but it was just too difficult in my circumstances.

Back