Moving everything over

Kathy Floyd

ktfloyd01
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry if this has been asked before, but what is the best way to move everything over from old tank to new (cycled) tank? Rocks, coral, fish, snails, crabs.. Mainly concerned about corals and my fish/shrimp.

My little nano is doing so good and is really established. I'm nervous to move everything over to a new tank but I can't wait and need a bigger tank. I'm trying to match levels as closely as I can but know I will have to go through some of the stages again. I'm really nervous about taking out the rock and the risk of losing the goby and shrimp so I am going to try and remove the rock carefully to minimize the debris/gas, etc. Any advice is surely appreciated.

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just did this a few weeks ago. But my new tank wasn't cycled, just had all new saltwater and new sand.
It really was no big deal. Moved everything over and had no losses at all. Added Microbacter7 every day for the first 2 weeks.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can, start the new tank first. Add sand and rock. If old rock is being used, move it after the water in the new tank is clear. Everybody in the old tank should be OK as long as it's kept running.

I haul soft coral (very small amounts) and inverts from the Keys to my home. They come out of the ocean, stay 1 to 3 days in a7g bucket with a 50% or more water change each day, a bubbler and a small wave maker. No filtration. Then they go 6 hours in our car, back to the west side of Florida. I have better than a 99% success rate. They things are stronger than you imagine.

Good luck.

Back