Moving ideas

  • Thread starter Thread starter Pulldeez
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Pulldeez

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 2, 2013
Messages
53
Reaction score
1
Location
Virginia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know of a good article on moving your aquarium? I'm moving just a few minutes away and wanna read up so I don't have any casualties!
Thanks, Brando
 
I just moved my 55-60g reef tank today. Fairly easy if u have enough buckets and totes on hand.
 
I set up a holding tank, got a 30g tank at petco... $1 per gallon right now. And put all rock fish and corals in it and a canister on it while I broke down the rest of the tank. Once the tank was drained, I then moved and got the tank set up at my new place (I did have new salter ready at the new place) 40g worth. Once the tank was filled with the new 40g of saltwater I went back and put the fish, coral and some rocks in 5g buckets to transport them to the new place. Done....

Do not remove or stir up the sand bed (unless you already have problems with it) as that is your biological filter..
If you have any other questions feel free to ask..
 
I set up a holding tank, got a 30g tank at petco... $1 per gallon right now. And put all rock fish and corals in it and a canister on it while I broke down the rest of the tank. Once the tank was drained, I then moved and got the tank set up at my new place (I did have new salter ready at the new place) 40g worth. Once the tank was filled with the new 40g of saltwater I went back and put the fish, coral and some rocks in 5g buckets to transport them to the new place. Done....

Do not remove or stir up the sand bed (unless you already have problems with it) as that is your biological filter..
If you have any other questions feel free to ask..
did you use new sand ? Or slowly pour the water in?
 
I added one 10lb bag of new sand, but kept all of what I did have. I put a 5g bucket lid in the tank and slowly poured water onto that so it wouldn't disturb the sand bed.
 

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new