Moving Mushrooms

HawaiianReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, dont laugh. I know I'm ignorant, but I just started out about a year and a half ago into this hobby.
I took over a tank that has some beautiful mushrooms in them. Problem is, I want to remove them from the rocks they're on. Here's the part where I'm sure you guys are going to laugh and shake your head, I didn't know they move around like an anemone. I tried to remove one a few months ago and learned a big lesson about gloves and pretty much anything in my tank. I got some goo from the mushrooms foot on my finger and it took like 30 seconds for my heart to start to race and become really dizzy. And after all that I still couldn't manage to keep that mushroom. It died from the obvious damage I inflicted on it due to my ignorance.
So Im still wanted to move them to a different rock. Is there any means to this?

David

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could cut the rock into pieces without damaging the mushrooms foot and glue the rock to the other rock. There is not simple way of detaching mushrooms, but you could dry upsetting them with a power head blowing on them or other things to upset them into wanting to move on their own.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have moved shrooms by getting them to detach and netting them. Powerhead pointed right at them has worked for me on some. Had a stubborn one and just made a cradle for the rock it was on with egg crate, let is sit just above the water with a net below. 30 minutes later it detached and fell into the net. The worst one was my elephant ear, powerhead no good. I wanted to move to a whole new tank, huge rock, still tried the cradle. No good. Reading on here about nems and how to move them, since they kind of act the same in that respect, frozen spoon to the foot for a nem seemed popular. Well it worked on the shroom. Rock upside down, spoon to foot. It let go real quick. No harm was done and that shroom is still going strong.

OP
OP
H

HawaiianReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. I love this place. That took less than 10 minutes for some really good advice!
I'll definitely give those a try. I feel confident now that I'll be able to get this done without harming the poor guys.
THANKS!!!

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With shrooms, as it is with nems, patience is the key to get them to release, as they can still be super hard headed and only detach when you don't want them to.

OP
OP
H

HawaiianReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been able to move anemones without problems. It just seems like the mushrooms just dont let go. At least not the manner that I've used for the anenomes. A credit card and patience.
I'll give the powerhead flow a try this week. Sounds like a good idea.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.9%
Back