Moving Tank - Sand?

ajmidget

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving my 160L tank to another room in the house very soon. I've got containers etc for fish, coral and water whilst we move the tank itself.
I haven't done a water change in the tank in over a year (it's been running for approximately 2 years).
Needless to say there will be tons of detritus and muck in the sandbed, i'd like to avoid disturbing this if possible during the short move. Is it worth keeping the sand or just starting with some fresh sand?

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving my 160L tank to another room in the house very soon. I've got containers etc for fish, coral and water whilst we move the tank itself.
I haven't done a water change in the tank in over a year (it's been running for approximately 2 years).
Needless to say there will be tons of detritus and muck in the sandbed, i'd like to avoid disturbing this if possible during the short move. Is it worth keeping the sand or just starting with some fresh sand?
depends whether you want to spend the time while saving $ by rinsing old sand to reuse or just go the easier route with new sand. If it was me and the sandbed isn't very deep, then for convenience I'd go with new sand (besides, my old bad back wouldn't be able to handle sand rinsing, lol). If u go with new sand, make sure to save 1-2 cups of old sand to help seed the new sand.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should disturb it, back to new, it's the only safe way to move. Rinse it in tap water for two hours before you re use it. If you get new sand, pre rinse that too. Don't transfer or use unrinsed sand

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for sure many people have not rinsed, and it worked ok but the hidden surprise was cyano and algae wars for having destratified a formerly stratified waste layer. There may be a small percentage of those who didnt have outbreaks, but variability is the key. When rinsing above, we have total control over variation. 100% no variation. non rinsing is ? as to the outcome.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd remove all the animals first, then remove the sand and rinse it out. Make sure to dechlorinate your sand if rinsing with tap water. If you have the ability, I'd rinse with a garden house outside- it's not fun to have that much sand going down your shower/sink drain :).

It's an optional step, but it's easy enough to do, so might as well while you have access right now.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back