Moving tank temporarily

cww81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting my entire living room and kitchen floor redone in the downstairs of my apartment Friday. What should I do with my 40G tank in my living room that was just set up 2 months ago and just finally finishing a cycle? What would be the best way to move the tank temporarily while saving live rock and not starting a mini cycle if possible?

steallife904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have fish or coral? Luckily its not to big of a tank to be a big deal. Is it going to be about 2 days? I would just go get a bunch of 5 gallon bucks to drain water into. In one of them put your rocks, if you have livestock put in another with the heater and a pump to move water (maybe 1 rock in there as well). you should be fine leaving the sand in the tank with a bit of water to keep in moist. Just move it all out of the way into another room and set back up when done. If possible keep all inside so temp doesn't swing big time or at least the livestock ones inside. Water in buckets can go in garage but bring temp back before putting livestock back in.

Intense37754

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is there fish?
We moved a 40b lowering the water level down to the rock (1/4ish) and carrying it. Then filled it up with freshly made SW where it would be temporary

OP
OP
cww81

cww81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have 2 clownfish, 4 zoa frags and a rock filled with GSP. My only worry would be the loss of livestock or restarting a cycle due to the rock dying off or something.

steallife904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if only a day or 2 you will be fine. this may also be a good time to get rid of the GSP :). Unless you like it but it will at some point take over everything.
But put fish in 5 gallon bucket of the water with heater and pump or airstone along with the coral and one rock. Put the rest in other buckets with water. Or drain move tank, refill then repeat when you need to set back up

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have fish or coral? Luckily its not to big of a tank to be a big deal. Is it going to be about 2 days? I would just go get a bunch of 5 gallon bucks to drain water into. In one of them put your rocks, if you have livestock put in another with the heater and a pump to move water (maybe 1 rock in there as well). you should be fine leaving the sand in the tank with a bit of water to keep in moist. Just move it all out of the way into another room and set back up when done. If possible keep all inside so temp doesn't swing big time or at least the livestock ones inside. Water in buckets can go in garage but bring temp back before putting livestock back in.

I've been contemplating what I would do if I decided to move my tank. I agree with you, but i would use a Brute trash can and not a bunch of 5 gallon buckets.

Jono1487

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been contemplating what I would do if I decided to move my tank. I agree with you, but i would use a Brute trash can and not a bunch of 5 gallon buckets.
Agreed on the Brute trash cans. I give them a quick rinse with RODI water before just to be safe but those are the easiest and cheapest temporary storage containers for fish/coral/water

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 34.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back