Moving tank to new house

Laura Kelsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi everyone

So we recently bought a new house and close next week and will need to move our 75g tank. I’m stressing hard core and wondering if people have tips. It it we have the sand and live rock. We then have a clown, 2 damsels, 2 disbar Anthias and an algae blenny. We have 5 or 6 baseball size rocks of GSP, a few rocks with some pulsing Xenia, and then a RBT anemone.

We r moving to a house that is around 30 mins away. My plan as of now was to take the rock that has nothing on it out, put the rock with corals in a bucket, the fish in a bucket and then fill 7 of my 5 gallon jugs with the water and drain to the point we can carry and transport and set up ASAP with the old water and replace with new water for however else much is needed.
Does that sound like an ok plan. If not I’d love ideas... my thinking from start to breakdown to getting set back up will be an hour and a half hopefully.

hotashes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi everyone

So we recently bought a new house and close next week and will need to move our 75g tank. I’m stressing hard core and wondering if people have tips. It it we have the sand and live rock. We then have a clown, 2 damsels, 2 disbar Anthias and an algae blenny. We have 5 or 6 baseball size rocks of GSP, a few rocks with some pulsing Xenia, and then a RBT anemone.

We r moving to a house that is around 30 mins away. My plan as of now was to take the rock that has nothing on it out, put the rock with corals in a bucket, the fish in a bucket and then fill 7 of my 5 gallon jugs with the water and drain to the point we can carry and transport and set up ASAP with the old water and replace with new water for however else much is needed.
Does that sound like an ok plan. If not I’d love ideas... my thinking from start to breakdown to getting set back up will be an hour and a half hopefully.

Thanks to @brandon429 for this thread

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/t...ead-aka-one-against-many.230281/#post-2681445

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey thanks for the mention a short move here won’t be too hard. I’m in process of rewriting the first post so it’s not too clear yet but the heart of this move in my opinion is the sand bed

Rocks and animals will move over fine but the sandbed is a required intercept point now that the tank must be parted down

First best option is to replace the sandbed, don’t even use the current

Ideal is toss old sand and use only new sand rinsed to perfection like we show

Second best is blast rinse your old sand then reuse it we show examples of that in many links there

OP
OP
Laura Kelsey

Laura Kelsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey thanks for the mention a short move here won’t be too hard. I’m in process of rewriting the first post so it’s not too clear yet but the heart of this move in my opinion is the sand bed

Rocks and animals will move over fine but the sandbed is a required intercept point now that the tank must be parted down

First best option is to replace the sandbed, don’t even use the current

Ideal is toss old sand and use only new sand rinsed to perfection like we show

Second best is blast rinse your old sand then reuse it we show examples of that in many links there

Does it change anything that the sand is only 3 months old

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave my sister one of my 14g nanos. She actually had to move about 25-30 minutes away and had zero losses. I also gave my niece and her fiance my old 55g with 4 very large nems, some lps, and a goby. No losses. They broke it down, drove it about 30 miles, and then set it back up. I advised her fiance to clean or replace sand. He did neither. I'd recommend you do one or the other

You can always buy a couple battery powered air pumps or a converter for your vehicle to run a regular. I'd split the fish up though. Don't want any fighting.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Age of bed doesn’t matter. It is a matter of keeping a sandbed that has detritus in it or not, a choice of how you want nutrients to present in your new tank

Polishpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made the mistake of moving mine and keeping the sand. it took forever to get the tank right. I wish I just would of got rid of the sand when I tore it down and moves the tank

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I moved I was doing an upgrade with the sand bed, but did scrape the top layer, maybe a couple of cups worth from my sump bed. I had lots of life that I wanted to transfer over. I even found several brittle stars that were a quarter sized.

Kzguns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I transfer tanks I do new sand and water and move all rock over and fish etc when temp and salinity are equal.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 169 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back