Moving tank with corals

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got an opportunity to get a 90 g tank w all equipment included for a fair price. It comes w live rock, 1 Yellow tang, and some beginner corals. Mushrooms, zoas, and a hammer. It’s a long drive. 3 hrs. Bad weather. Any tips on transport or is it just not worth the risk? Don’t know anything about the hammer, will have to do some research.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a system running at home already?

If so it’s very easy, since the new tank to be moved is very lightly stocked. Just catch the yellow tang, put it in its own container. Bag up the beginner corals. Put the live rock in a bucket. Transfer the livestock to your existing system and cycle the new tank.

If this is your first system it’s definitely doable, you just have to be careful about the transfer and not starting a new cycle. But a lightly stocked 90 gallon is not that hard of a move if you have some help and know what you’re doing.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 Cheap styrofoam coolers for fish and corals. Corals are fairly easy. Keep warm/Load coolers last.
Large bag of water for fish. Fill bag in cooler. ;-)
enough air at destination, not getting too cold or too hot on the way for the fish are the biggest concerns.
Air Bubbler and small heater for 10 gallon tank while tang sits in tank waiting for new 90 gallon tank to be ready.
10 to 20 gallon tank set up at new house in quiet spot ready to receive tang for the day, 2 days?

10 is smaller but fits on a sturdy table and cheap. Cardboard cover, no lights, a tiny amount of prime and an airstone and small heater, off the floor (7 degrees difference) at new location.

Load an *empty* tank into car/truck. Not 4" of water/sand. :)

Don't 'twist' tank loading it in car/truck! :)

Keep car warm while set up/take down. Drive safely.

Should be fine. :)

oceaninabox12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the tanks i currently own I've purchased like how you're looking at doing it. Its certainly easier if you have a tank at home you could dump the fish or coral in if something goes horribly wrong. All i do is get as many buckets or rubbermaid totes as possible, put all live and fragile things in one tote, rock with nothing on it in the other totes and buckes, and then leave sand and a tiny bit of water in the tank. As little as possible so you can move it. Also keep as much of the tanks water as possible, so just pack that in the totes or buckets as well. Try to have water mixing at home so you can have that prepared

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back