Moving tanks....peroxide dip rock??

Snowman82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I will be switching tanks soon and was wondering if I should peroxide dip my rock. I have a calupera problem i have been fighting for a while now and was hoping that a peroxide dip would help when I change. Thanks for any info

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need to test it first

a dip isn’t ideal it punches the peroxide deep into pores where animals hide, the plant anchors topically

its best to do this:

take two test rocks with growth

one is sprayed from a mister bottle with peroxide, set on counter cooking a few mins, put back with no manual removal. Lowest work test

the second is worked: with a pocket knife tip you’d score off all the attachment points and rinse with saltwater all the plant away. Spray peroxide on the clean zones, let cook a bit, set back and chart the two comparison rocks to know what works best.

also important in tank moves: cleaning sand so there isn’t a risk of recycle. Be sure and consider the preps from the sand rinse and tank transfers thread before running, those can make a perfect transition no loss.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post a time you fixed caulerpa in someone else's tank without it.

Can't be your own tanks example

Here's many

Fluconazole might kill it, but that's known to cause tradeoff cyano invasions in the big fluc thread. Since the rocks have to be taken down, the quick kill of peroxide is well matched to move cleaning

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we do have problems with vibrant though causing massive cyano issues, perx never does.

agreed vibrant may kill it, it tends to target green plants well

for example peroxide never did this for eight pages, though it has a reputation of being dangerous:

its very ironic when peroxide is the safest treatment. We have lots of practice with it in tank restoration. Post #4 is thirty straight pages of happy

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Snowman82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve pulled all rock once and scrubbed and removed as much as I could and I must not of got all of it because it’s still coming back. Very annoying.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
needed the peroxide applied just after, to the clean spots.

also need the second test which is direct spray/set back w no direct removal.

you can dip, but the penetration into the rocks where the worms and pods are is not where the algae anchors, its just topically, it risks growback after big insult.

the pre tests let you know what works, before you upscale it. if determined to dip at least pre test one dip rock first to check for growback

OP
OP
S

Snowman82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
needed the peroxide applied just after, to the clean spots.

also need the second test which is direct spray/set back w no direct removal.

you can dip, but the penetration into the rocks where the worms and pods are is not where the algae anchors, its just topically, it risks growback after big insult.

the pre tests let you know what works, before you upscale it. if determined to dip at least pre test one dip rock first to check for growback
Sounds good. Thanks sir. I’ll be switching to a bigger tank where I can get better fish to help with it as well. Always wanted a fox face

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back