MP10 Ceramic Shaft Broken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

MarcosTacos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk but i don't want to pay 100$ for a new wet side... there must be a way to make the spinning stop?

Just a quick question. Is the little black part with a notch inside it that resides on the bottom of the magnet supposed to come off or it should be glued in place?

FlyPenFly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well just did my repair on a more recent version of the MP10 wet side. Where the ceramic shaft is glued onto the magnet propeller part.

It started chipping off and and causing bad noise. Removed it and chipped it off with a small screwdriver.

I think did the silicone shrink wrap trick but had to double it to work. I also applied massive amounts of the silicone plumber's grease.

I used this wrap, 2x the yellow ones, put yellow first, heat, then put some grease, then put another yellow one over, grease, then grease magnet.: this one

Hope it lasts!

Last edited:

MarcosTacos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well just did my repair on a more recent version of the MP10 wet side. Where the ceramic shaft is glued onto the magnet propeller part.

It started chipping off and and causing bad noise. Removed it and chipped it off with a small screwdriver.

I think did the silicone shrink wrap trick but had to double it to work. I also applied massive amounts of the silicone plumber's grease.

I used this wrap, 2x the yellow ones, put yellow first, heat, then put some grease, then put another yellow one over, grease, then grease magnet.: this one

Hope it lasts!
Do you mean the ceramic square?
Also what grease exactly?

diverjm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if people don’t know this but EcoTech sells the just the frame for the MP10 instead of purchasing the whole wet side in their parts store. 63AB65E1-2F75-4C9C-8356-4CB1FD8198CB.png

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The majority of these crack from extended use without servicing. The ceramic shaft becomes brittle with friction heat and wear.

From new, every month or 2, pull it out, take it apart, soak with plastic safe cleaner (i prefer citric acid vs vinegar)
And relube with molykote 111 then reinstall.

The top of the exposed stainless shaft that slips into the wetside cage needs a nice gob.

I actually keep an extra wetside greased and ready to go when i service my mp10.
It gets swapped out every 2-3 months when i do some housekeeping in the tank.

FlyPenFly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if people don’t know this but EcoTech sells the just the frame for the MP10 instead of purchasing the whole wet side in their parts store. 63AB65E1-2F75-4C9C-8356-4CB1FD8198CB.png
This is interesting because in the newer wet sides, the ceramic is part of the magnet propeller part.

diverjm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is interesting because in the newer wet sides, the ceramic is part of the magnet propeller part.
Really? I just purchased 2 MP10’s brand new as well as 2 new wetsides and all of mine look like the picture I posted with the ceramic on the shaft.

FlyPenFly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? I just purchased 2 MP10’s brand new as well as 2 new wetsides and all of mine look like the picture I posted with the ceramic on the shaft.

I havent bought a newer wetside in over a year so thats news to me.

Do you have a photo?

Is the shaft bare stainless?
No, you guys are right, I just opened up another one and the ceramic is on the base. I guess the other one I opened up was so messed up the prop part ripped it up.

It's great that Ecotech is selling just the base now but dang that $13 shipping!

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, you guys are right, I just opened up another one and the ceramic is on the base. I guess the other one I opened up was so messed up the prop part ripped it up.

It's great that Ecotech is selling just the base now but dang that $13 shipping!
I believe it!!

Molykote 111 is a savior for these pump shafts

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The majority of these crack from extended use without servicing. The ceramic shaft becomes brittle with friction heat and wear.

From new, every month or 2, pull it out, take it apart, soak with plastic safe cleaner (i prefer citric acid vs vinegar)
And relube with molykote 111 then reinstall.

The top of the exposed stainless shaft that slips into the wetside cage needs a nice gob.

I actually keep an extra wetside greased and ready to go when i service my mp10.
It gets swapped out every 2-3 months when i do some housekeeping in the tank.
not ture. My pump was like a month old and I slightly bumped it wrong. very lightly cleaning it and it cracked the ceramic at the base. Its a poor weak design, Probably so they can sell those wet side parts for $30.
Skip ovepaying for the new ecotech part for $30 spend the pennies to fix it with the shrink tube. it will be more durable and cost you a ton less. Dont over pay for their cheap poor design

diverjm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use food safe grease from my local home brewing store. It’s $6.00 a tube and works great! 4EB9581E-FEB8-4685-8885-9B0A202BB2BF.jpeg

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not ture. My pump was like a month old and I slightly bumped it wrong. very lightly cleaning it and it cracked the ceramic at the base. Its a poor weak design, Probably so they can sell those wet side parts for $30.
Skip ovepaying for the new ecotech part for $30 spend the pennies to fix it with the shrink tube. it will be more durable and cost you a ton less. Dont over pay for their cheap poor design
I did say majority from my personal experience. This doesnt account for every single user.

10/10 previous wetsides i had the ceramic shaft cracked after not maintaining it for months.

Fwiw ecotech sent me new wetsides each time.
They even replaced my circa 2013 mp10es wetside with no questions asked.

Now that i have been keeping the wetsides maintained with grease from the start, the shafts have been solid.

percy2023

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is exactly what I’m trying to find out. Internal and external diameter of the ceramic sleeve. They are penny’s to buy so could just be slid over the stainless steel shaft.

What I have discovered tonight due to the lower part of the ceramic shaft breaking on my MP10, (this was rattling around, wet side spinning and making a racket !) is if you heat up the ceramic part with a small kitchen blow torch, the glue loosens with ease and you can slide the sleeve down. I re assembled everything and it works ! Not saying this is a permanent fix but it’s got me out of trouble.

Back