MP40 power efficiency at 12v backup vs 32v low speed?

MikeTheNewbie

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 16, 2020
Messages
452
Reaction score
272
Location
Michigan
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello, here is another nerdy question for the reefing geeks:

I'm working to optimize my backup solution.
I currently have the MP40s connected to a backup 12v battery but I can imagine the motors in the MP40s would be more efficient when driven at 32v (the normal voltage of their power adapters).
Has anyone tested if it is more energy efficient to use the MP40s built in 12v power backup or if it is better to keep them powered by AC and just switch them to a lower constant speed?

I don't know what's worse in terms of power loss, driving the motors at a lower voltage or the AC-DC conversion.

I was about to manually test it but I wonder if anyone has done this already.

Thanks
 
EcoFlow River 2, don't overthink this, you just need to the backup to work until you can get a generator going or power turns back on. If you want longer running times, choose the "max" version.
 
Yeah I actually use an ecoflow delta, which gives me the option of powering the mp40s either through 120v AC or 12v DC.
The question is which one would be more efficient?
I try to setup my reef so I can leave it unattended for the maximum amount of time although most of my vacations are just 1 week long :P
 
You’ll have to run some tests and see. If it were me, I would make the backup work for my return pump if you’re running a sump. But I doubt you’ll find something that runs for a week unless you get solar involved or an automatic generator.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 12 24.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 26.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 2 4.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new