MP40 Vortech

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it is transition mode but it was never in my list before just showed up the other day
I find that strange. You are running the same App as everyone else. It's been on mine when I downloaded the App for the first time 3yrs ago.

OP
OP
K

kp33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do reef from 7am-4pm, then nutrient from 4-6, back to reef from 6-10, lagoon from 10pm to 7am, I have Zoas, pulsing zenia and 2 acans

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do reef from 7am-4pm, then nutrient from 4-6, back to reef from 6-10, lagoon from 10pm to 7am, I have Zoas, pulsing zenia and 2 acans
Interesting you are running nutrient transport with only one Vortech. I thought the Eco Smart modes required a minimum of 2 Vortech's to run properly ( Master/Slave ). I used to run it for 150min which is the full cycle of the mode but my LPS corals did not like it and would retract due to the amount of flow required to make the mode worth while.

OP
OP
K

kp33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting you are running nutrient transport with only one Vortech. I thought the Eco Smart modes required a minimum of 2 Vortech's to run properly ( Master/Slave ). I used to run it for 150min which is the full cycle of the mode but my LPS corals did not like it and would retract due to the amount of flow required to make the mode worth while.
For nutrient mode I’m supposed to have two or all the modes, I have a 90 and the flow from the one is great.

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
K

kp33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so if I'm reading it correctly tidal swell and nutrient seems to need two, the other modes are fine with one?

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so if I'm reading it correctly tidal swell and nutrient seems to need two, the other modes are fine with one?
Gyre also needs a minimum of 2 but they recommend 4 in the instructions. One Vortech will not give you the alternating flow pattern to create a true Gyre.

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the best way to clean the wet side?
A lot of people will soak the wet side in a citric acid and then give them a scrub. Some even run the pump in the citric acid solution. Some people will soak in a vinegar and water solution but that seems to be no longer the preferred method due to vinegar causing the deterioration of some of the components.. Myself, I alternate my cleaning of my 4 Vortech's two at a time every 2 weeks so the pumps are on a 4wk cycle. Because I clean them so frequently, once I disassemble them I only have to run them under some warm water and use a toothbrush to clean them. They normally only have a slight slime film on them.
Be carful when taking apart not to break the 3 locking tabs. I use a jewelers screwdriver to gently prop open the tabs. You can probably also use your fingernails.

OP
OP
K

kp33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steve question for ya let’s say I have a schedule set of lagoon and reef but while watching my tank I want to run another mode just for fun how do I do that without Messing up my normal everyday schedule. Thanks

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case you are curious, I retired early 3yrs ago which is also how long my tank has been up and running and I have had a lot of time to play around with Mobius and the Vortech's. In the early days I found a few issues with the Vortech's Gyre Mode and Ecotech sent me OS updates to see if issue was fixed. So basically I Beta tested the fixes before they were made public. 18mo ago I submitted a recommendation and they thought it was a great idea but said it would be a few months before they could get to it and unfortunately somehow they dropped the ball either due to personnel changes are because of the merger. Anyways, I just re-submitted the request yesterday and we will see what happens. Below is the request to Ecotech:

"18mo ago I talked with Jaden Ziner about the possibility of a low speed modification to the MP40's and MP60's along with a Mobius update to support the speeds. See Request #558651 for his reply which implied engineering thought it was a great idea and would get to it in a couple months due to being busy. It has been 18mo with no update. Being a retired electrical engineer with a PLC programming background, what I am asking for would be a big improvement of the Vortech/Mobius package and to be honest, it should not be that difficult of a change. We are only talking a VorTech controller firmware/OS upgrade and new additions to the Mobius App.
Because it has been so long since my original request I will explain again.
What I am requesting is that the low speeds of the MP40's and MP60's be lowered to 1000GPH or even lower. I know they can go lower because the feed mode onto the timeline can go lower than the advertised low speed of the pumps. IMO 500GPH would be even better. To accommodate this in Mobius, it is requested that a minimum speed slide bar be added to the screen where there is already a max speed slide bar. This would be especially beneficial for the Lagoon and Reef Crest Modes and there is plenty of space on the Mobius screen for this extra min speed slide bar next to the maximum speed. Maybe not so much for the other modes.
My reasoning for this request is if you have a long tank, and mine is 7ft long, as it stands right now it is impossible to push water from one side of the the tank to even close to the other side unless you are above 90% which in a lot of cases will blast the corals with laminar flow which is not normally desired. What this new modification will allow is in Lagoon, Reef Crest and possibly Gyre mode, while in Master ( Parent ) and Slave ( Child ), it will allow you to set a minimum speed and maximum speed to where when one side speeds up and the opposite slows down you can adjust the speeds to your tank length dimensions to be able to push water further down the tank allowing you to achieve a turbulent flow a further distance. As it stands now, on longer tanks the flows tend to meet in the middle and maybe a little past the middle of the tank depending on the maximum speed setting.
I am willing to Beta test this modification if you so desire before making it public.
If or when made public I would recommend that the initial minimum speed slide bar be at a default speed of the advertised low speed of the associated Vortech i.e. MP60 minimum default speed set to 3600GPH. That way it will not interfere with other users settings".

Best Regards,

Steve
Really wanted to read the entire post, but the fint color selection is atrocious. Please pick a more neutral color next time.

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steve question for ya let’s say I have a schedule set of lagoon and reef but while watching my tank I want to run another mode just for fun how do I do that without Messing up my normal everyday schedule. Thanks
You can put whatever mode you want to see on your current timeline. Do not hit done and save. It will run for only 30 seconds in Demo mode and then revert to the normal scheduled mode. When you exit out hit discard.
If you want it to run longer you will have to add it to the timeline and save it. Once done you can remove it but you may need to readjust the times for one or more of the modes. You can also save your current setup and reload it when done with your test.

OP
OP
K

kp33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so in other words you can’t if you want it to run more than 30 seconds?

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so in other words you can’t if you want it to run more than 30 seconds?
You can save you template and then reload it when done playing around with other modes. Do you know how to do that?

OP
OP
K

kp33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I see resume schedule but when I tap that nothing happens

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I see resume schedule but when I tap that nothing happens
Resume schedule is not for the Vortech's. Mobius can control multiple devices and I believe it is for the Ecotech lights. I will send you some screen shots with some instructions. Just give me a minute.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back