MP40QD noise

Jshiloh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took apart my MP40 QD because it would make a very annoying noise like having a card in a bicycle wheel and spinning it the faster it would go the louder it would be. Took it apart all the way down to the bearing and magnet but when I spin the shaft my hand with only the bearing it’s quite when I spin the shaft with the magnet on it it makes the horrible noise. Question Is anyone know where to find a new magnet ? I’ve looked all over.

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dry side or wet side ? If its your dry side, its bearings. Ive replaced bearings with cheaper brand new bearings, and it does what you describe. Only the best bearings will work if your able to replace them without trashing the center unit.

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dry side or wet side ? If its your dry side, its bearings. Ive replaced bearings with cheaper brand new bearings, and it does what you describe. Only the best bearings will work if your able to replace them without trashing the center unit.

Do you know the size for the bearings? I'm assuming the bearings size are different for the various vortech sizes?

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres actually a thread(not sure if it's here or on reef central) that gives a full teardown, bearing sizes, and how to for the 40.

Ah, I have a spare mp10qd dry side that needs new bearings.

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know the size for the bearings? I'm assuming the bearings size are different for the various vortech sizes?
There are different sizes between old styles, and quiet drive ones. You can Google and find it. I tried high quality sfk bearings and it still makes noise. You can feel it's not as smooth as the bearings they used

OP
OP
J

Jshiloh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s the dry side

OP
OP
J

Jshiloh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulled it almost all the way apart last night and found the bearing number, lots of different bearings with almost the same number. I’ll do more research

OP
OP
J

Jshiloh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are different sizes between old styles, and quiet drive ones. You can Google and find it. I tried high quality sfk bearings and it still makes noise. You can feel it's not as smooth as the bearings they used
Yea and ecotech just says we can sell you a new one

OP
OP
J

Jshiloh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks fellas I’ll do more research. At least I tried. I’ve been looking at other types of pumps that are cheaper but I keep going back to ecotech. Darn cables in the tank !

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

edindubai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a qd mp40 only 5 months old dry side makes a horrible grinding noise have swapped wet side so if definitely the dry part. If anyone has attempted a fix on these newer ones let me know.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a qd mp40 only 5 months old dry side makes a horrible grinding noise have swapped wet side so if definitely the dry part. If anyone has attempted a fix on these newer ones let me know.
If you haven't already, call Ecotech.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back