Mp40qd wet side keep failing off ...

plankton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two new mp40qd on my 75g tank (1/2” glass) and the wet sides have fallen off twice. I’ve pulled and cleaned them reattached and everything is fine for a couple weeks then. Drop. I pulled them and currently using gyre but I’d like to put at least one back after is solve the issue. Any speculation why the wet side keeps dropping off?

OP
OP
plankton

plankton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting... I do to. Already reached out to BRS/Echotech who are having me check a few things today. My guess is that its not a user error thing, reach out to vendor.
Ive also noticed with the new ones that the guard doesn’t fit snugly and is kinda loose.

Reguading spacers for 1/2” and over you just use the thin rubber spacer I believe.

OP
OP
plankton

plankton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some things I’m thinking about trying:

1) remove rubber spacer

2) in apex instead of switching modes (constant, lagoon, etc) just use one mode because one of my theories is that the wet side is dropping off when apex switches modes)

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott, did you take the wetside totally apart and check the magnet? I had one of my magnets swell around the 1.5 year mark and split which caused the wetside to vibrate and fall off. Ecotech swapped it out free of charge and I haven't had the issue since.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott, did you take the wetside totally apart and check the magnet? I had one of my magnets swell around the 1.5 year mark and split which caused the wetside to vibrate and fall off. Ecotech swapped it out free of charge and I haven't had the issue since.
It’s a new wetside

OP
OP
plankton

plankton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The next time it happens I’ll trying taking dry side apart and inspecting it. Unfortunately I haven’t witnessed it so I’m not sure exactly how it happens nor exactly when. I’ve already changed apex program to just run lagoon at 10% 24x7

Colin_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just to be clear, do you mean the actual magnetic propeller or just the guard? my guard on my mp40 & 60 constantly come off, :mad: . if its the magnetic part I can't see how switching from different cycles will cause this.
Unless there's an issue with the incorrect strength magnet inside the unit or your using the incorrect spacers on the dry side? strange... good luck

OP
OP
plankton

plankton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just to be clear, do you mean the actual magnetic propeller or just the guard? my guard on my mp40 & 60 constantly come off, :mad: . if its the magnetic part I can't see how switching from different cycles will cause this.
Unless there's an issue with the incorrect strength magnet inside the unit or your using the incorrect spacers on the dry side? strange... good luck

Ok two issues.

1) guard doesn’t fit snugly like on older models and has vibrates off.

2) the wet side has dropped off and I don’t know why. I’m only using thin rubber spacer on my 75G tank which has 12mm, ~1/2” glass

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many of you broke in your Vortechs?
https://support.ecotechmarine.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020863294-VorTech-Wetside-Break-in-Procedure-

Ya I didn't either.

Mine did this but stopped after running a few weeks. Not all of them did it.
When out of the tank spin the propeller with your finger. If it goes around 2 or 3 times or more it's probably fine.
If you get one spin it is tight. It is the tight ones that fall off. One of mine had garbage inside the hole where the shaft is. I removed it and it started working.
Some I put the next smaller spacer on and ran them for a while until they were free to spin and then changed it back.
I have also had mine jump off the tank because a snail shell stalls the prop getting jammed between the cage.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many of you broke in your Vortechs?
https://support.ecotechmarine.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020863294-VorTech-Wetside-Break-in-Procedure-

Ya I didn't either.

Mine did this but stopped after running a few weeks. Not all of them did it.
When out of the tank spin the propeller with your finger. If it goes around 2 or 3 times or more it's probably fine.
If you get one spin it is tight. It is the tight ones that fall off. One of mine had garbage inside the hole where the shaft is. I removed it and it started working.
Some I put the next smaller spacer on and ran them for a while until they were free to spin and then changed it back.
I have also had mine jump off the tank because a snail shell stalls the prop getting jammed between the cage.
I only have mine running at the lowest speed. I did see a lot of junk though.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have managed to get all mine to work. The amount of fussing it takes considering it's a few bits of plastic and some magnets is shameful.
Especially after what you pay for them.

But I haven't found anything that is a good substitution.

Back