Mr. Guns' 20g Nuvo Black Cube

Mr.Guns

Resident Bullet Flinger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to get my feet wet again, and keep it small and simple. After having several systems ranging from 110-300 gallons, I wanted to scale down... a lot. I didn't want to do a build thread, because I mean- who wants to see my little tank? Not to mention, I don't exactly do things the way a lot of people would, but it works for me.

I picked up a 20g Nuvo Black Cube from Facebook, and this is where it started!

Screenshot_20191219-183610_Facebook.jpg

I got it all home, arranged, and started testing everything out. Turned out the AI 26 had taken a bath at some point, and it went in the trash while I fired up Amazon. I need to find a home for the HMS mount soon, if I can ever remember to post it.

For once in my life, I knew almost exactly what kind of aquascape I wanted, so I picked up some dry rock from the LFS and gave it all a good soak. This was me on the floor of the place, playing with rocks...

EnragedImpeccableEmperorshrimp-size_restricted.gif

Packages started arriving, and the plan was slowly coming together.

20200103_132857.jpg

I went with the Maxpsect Ethereals (which so far, I am quite pleased with!)

20200104_144615.jpg

Unfortunately, everything wasn't packaged as well as I had hoped for from Amazon.

20200103_133556.jpg

They gave me a full refund, and let me keep the sand. (Not like I was gonna try to ship it back anyway.)

I kept trucking, got everything lined up where it needed to be, dual 500w heaters, 10g sump, and an Innovative Marine Nano skimmer all in place, got my water mixed and the ball was rolling!

My wife avoided the room during this time, as it was severely triggering her OCD.

20200104_215117.jpg

Got everything running, and cleaned up, and then it was time to wait for the ammonia to do it's thing. Once the fishless cycle was complete, I introduced a pair of Ocellaris, who immediately started.... Clowning around.

A little time went by, and the "uglies" settled in nicely... or not so nicely? That's when I brought home the CUC of hermits, Nassarius, and Trochus to get busy. (So gross!)

20200120_160340.jpg

20200126_155134.jpg

They sure didn't waste any time! It's been about a week, and they have been tidying things up quite well.

There's also the obligatory Hammer, a small frag of lepto, and some encrusting monti in there, along with a rock hidden in the back with a few shrooms on it.

Important stuff that I'm sure someone is thinking:

There is no direct sunlight coming in those windows, I live in the woods, and it blocks the sun.
The HVAC duct has a diverter, so there is no hold/cold air blowing on the system affecting the temperature.

OP
OP
Mr.Guns

Mr.Guns

Resident Bullet Flinger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was nose-to-glass tonight, admiring how well the Trochus are cleaning, and saw a bristleworm steal for from a Nassarius... I decided to snag a few pictures of my frags, and of course the clowns had to keep hamming it up...

My lepto...
20200128_202031.jpg

My monti...

20200128_202021.jpg

My hammer...

20200128_201845.jpg

OP
OP
Mr.Guns

Mr.Guns

Resident Bullet Flinger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update, I know it's been a while... I have been battling pretty much every single type of nuisance outbreak for the past couple months, and since I'm not keen on chemical treatments, I've been going for natural methods.

Diatoms, Cynao, bubble algae, dino... I mean, you name it, and I've had a battle with it. Right now I'm still trying to get the bubble algae in check, but my emerald is pretty lazy...

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 27 77.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
Back