Multicolor Yuma detached from his rock, help to reattach.

RC Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this rainbow/multicolor Yuma for a month or more. He's never been entirely connected to the rock he arrived on, and always a bit half off/half on. Health has always been fine as shown in the photos below.

Over the past week he's moved/detached further to where he was only connected by a thread and that let go a couple nights ago.
When moving to the mushroom box or glass bowl I noticed he has the "wormy green mushroom guts" showing on the bottom center of foot" and essentially a hole straight through, though he appears to be fine health wise and color wise.

So now I'm trying to get him to reattach to rock rubble in either my Mushroom box, or a glass bowl with rubble. I've also tried placing some thin veil/mesh over him in the bowl which only seemed to cause him to curl up more.

Now I feel like I'm facing a timeclock for getting him to reattach before his health starts going downward, and contemplating when to start seriously thinking about cut/fragging him to try to retain some viable versions.

Thoughts/Ideas?

DSC04050_R-X3.jpg
DSC04587_R-X4.jpg
DSC04580_R-X4.jpg

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try placing it in a dish with rubble and thence in a low flow area. Rubber band some screen over the dish. if that doesn’t work, ship it to me and I’ll give it a go :p seriously thats a nice shroom

OP
OP
RC Corals

RC Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try placing it in a dish with rubble and thence in a low flow area. Rubber band some screen over the dish. if that doesn’t work, ship it to me and I’ll give it a go :p seriously thats a nice shroom

He's currently in a 4-5" glass bowl with rubble in it. Stays in it fine without mesh over it. I'm probably just being overly worried about it because he's such a great specimen. Don't want him to go downhill before I can get some clones from him.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry to hear you are having to deal with this. I hope the hole was him trying to split.

My idea isn't the best but worked for our jawbreaker that just wouldn't put his foot down. Obviously a little different scenario but might work for you. I attacked a pic of my VERY DIY mush container. But I'm sure there are better ways.

@LRT I'm sure has some ideas to help!

20201117_075038.jpg

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's currently in a 4-5" glass bowl with rubble in it. Stays in it fine without mesh over it. I'm probably just being overly worried about it because he's such a great specimen. Don't want him to go downhill before I can get some clones from him.
No you aren’t, that shroom looks pricey. Can’t count how many new mushrooms I’ve cop’d only to see them float around or disappear. Sometimes a empty shell works also.

OP
OP
RC Corals

RC Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No you aren’t, that shroom looks pricey. Can’t count how many new mushrooms I’ve cop’d only to see them float around or disappear. Sometimes a empty shell works also.

Yes, it was pricey. But it's more the uniqueness of him that I'm concerned about retaining than the his cost.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normally I'd reccomend everything thats been mentioned and that you have already tried..
Thats wierd you mention seeing guts on under side of foot. Could it be it possibly had a parasite or worm when you recieved it? Ive never seen that personally.
Can you give it quick melafix dip along with iodine rinse?
If its bacterial ive found cipro baths work wonders for shrooms with bacterial infections.
I'd say dip it. Then place in cup or shroom box on rubble. Low light,low flow. I cover mine with food grade plastic mesh I get from orange bags. ..
May even want to try rounded edges for it to stick to. Some prefer smooth edges over rough surfaces.
I've also found placing on rubble and burying with sand helps the stick. Ive had to do that several time with Jawbreaker shrooms. Trick is bury a few times until it attaches then leave it alone for few weeks while it settles in a foots well.
Sounds like it may be parasitic or bacterial.
Dip should help with that.
You can order cipro online without prescription.

OP
OP
RC Corals

RC Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Cipro enroute already for ongoing Anemone's I bring in, so that is possible. How long of a Melafix Dip, and how long for Cipro bath?

By "burying in sand a few times" are you meaning the rubble and the shroom so it's covered up?

Normally I'd reccomend everything thats been mentioned and that you have already tried..
Thats wierd you mention seeing guts on under side of foot. Could it be it possibly had a parasite or worm when you recieved it? Ive never seen that personally.
Can you give it quick melafix dip along with iodine rinse?
If its bacterial ive found cipro baths work wonders for shrooms with bacterial infections.
I'd say dip it. Then place in cup or shroom box on rubble. Low light,low flow. I cover mine with food grade plastic mesh I get from orange bags. ..
May even want to try rounded edges for it to stick to. Some prefer smooth edges over rough surfaces.
I've also found placing on rubble and burying with sand helps the stick. Ive had to do that several time with Jawbreaker shrooms. Trick is bury a few times until it attaches then leave it alone for few weeks while it settles in a foots well.
Sounds like it may be parasitic or bacterial.
Dip should help with that.
You can order cipro online without prescription.

Last edited:

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can see exactly what I do for cipro baths in this thread:

As for burying them with sand.
Yes place on rubble in bowl. Than put sand on top of shroom. I typically bury them but leave the mouth showing. You will be surprised how within and hour or 2 they will completely unbury themselves.
I had to do this several times.
The trick to it all is leaving them alone and not disturb them after they attach to allow them to acclimate and get good foothold.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Cipro enroute already for ongoing Anemone's I bring in, so that is possible. How long of a Melafix Dip, and how long for Cipro bath?

By "burying in sand a few times" are you meaning the rubble and the shroom so it's covered up?
I use 5ml melafix marine per 2 cups of system water and dip for 5 minutes. I usually only dip in melafix to remove bristleworms. But I have read success stories of people using it for all types of worms. For whatever reason worms don't like it and typically die off fast. Its also an antiseptic.
Cipro will help if its bacterial.

OP
OP
RC Corals

RC Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What parameters/duration for the Cipro? With the anemones I do it prolonged over days dosing at night when lights out.

I use 5ml melafix marine per 2 cups of system water and dip for 5 minutes. I usually only dip in melafix to remove bristleworms. But I have read success stories of people using it for all types of worms. For whatever reason worms don't like it and typically die off fast. Its also an antiseptic.
Cipro will help if its bacterial.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What parameters/duration for the Cipro? With the anemones I do it prolonged over days dosing at night when lights out.
I use water from my system.
1 gallon/250mg cipro.
Let dissolve mix well.
Place in tupperware with medication and let float in sump to keep temps correct in tupperware.
2 hr bath at lights out then place back in system.
Repeat nightly.
I've done a total of 4 baths for certain shrooms. So a total of 4 nights.
Lights out is the best way. Helps with stress and light kills the medication so its a win win all the way around.

OP
OP
RC Corals

RC Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use water from my system.
1 gallon/250mg cipro.
Let dissolve mix well.
Place in tupperware with medication and let float in sump to keep temps correct in tupperware.
2 hr bath at lights out then place back in system.
Repeat nightly.
I've done a total of 4 baths for certain shrooms. So a total of 4 nights.
Lights out is the best way. Helps with stress and light kills the medication so its a win win all the way around.

So if we've got a enclosed dark sump should be fine to do it whenever. REfugium light

OP
OP
RC Corals

RC Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cipro not here yet, but did an Iodine dip last night. His color shifted more toward the yellow side as a result, but is more back to normal this morning. Mouth seems tighter than yesterday.

It didn't kill him at least.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if we've got a enclosed dark sump should be fine to do it whenever. REfugium light
I like to do the cipro bath right at lights out. 2 hr bath in dark then taken out of medictated water and placed back into system while lights are still out. Gives them time to re acclimate to system water overnight before lights back on.
Less stress than going from lights on and off and sticking to light cycle.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cipro not here yet, but did an Iodine dip last night. His color shifted more toward the yellow side as a result, but is more back to normal this morning. Mouth seems tighter than yesterday.

It didn't kill him at least.
Also if your going to do a cipro bath.
Iodine is probably not neccesary. I wouldnt do too much at once.
You could give cipro bath and a fast 5 minute iodine dip right afterwards but probably not needed with cipro.

OP
OP
RC Corals

RC Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: a few days ago I checked on The Dude and he had a center hole about the size of the end of your pinky. Wasn't necessarily looking any better at all despite the dips and baths.

Made the decision at that point to frag him in half, then in quarter.

At this point all 4 frags are looking very well and showing good signs of healing. 3 frags are in the same glass bowl with rubble seeing if / when they'll reattach. The other frag is in my mushroom box that all the other mushroom frags do fine. We'll see how things continue to progress.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back