Multiple Anemones

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red is the next color I'll be purchasing ;) your wife has good taste! Cipro is a great idea. The stings are very mild but it's a pain to unstick them... thats how I got it on both hands...

20210701_205928.jpg
Are those crazy huge bubble algae???? o_O

Mowen44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had different colored btas and for some reason they all eventually turn to the rainbow color or fade away. Only the rainbow stay put and thrive. I am by no means an expert on btas. I prefer other nems mostly.
I would not mix them simply to make sure the money you spend is not so much a gamble.

Personally, I would combine my current btas into the one current tank and put the new one in with only the rock/maxi minis. JMO
can you mix a supernova anemone with Colorado anemone? Thanks

OP
OP
S

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you mix a supernova anemone with Colorado anemone? Thanks
This is going to get spicy.

There is a prevailing belief that Colorado’s will die if placed with other anemones. The last time I checked, no one knows why so it’s PURELY ANECDOTAL. Look past the big words people will use and look for actual proof or fact. The last time I checked, there was none.

It’s the clothing/shoe dilemma. So many people are buying these anemones as a financial investment or because they really wanted it despite they couldn’t afford it. So they keep it in a basket in its own tank and every morning pray to the anemone Jesus for it to split.

This hobby has a bad habit of “deciding” the cause of an issue but not really knowing the cause. It becomes gospel when someone chimes in and says something that sounds technical (but with no substance).

It’s the equivalent of people who buy a $1,000 pair of sneakers, put it in a box, put it in their closet, and let it sit there. If they start to brown, they blame the lesser Nike’s next to them.

Personally, if I’m spending $1,000 on a pair of shoes, I’m wearing them. If I spend $800 on an anemone, it’s going in a tank in my living room in as natural (as I can create) environment so I can enjoy it. If someone proves two things shouldn’t exist together, best practices require I don’t put them together. No one has proven it.

So…There’s no proof you can not. There are 100,000 reasons why an anemone will die including “cause of death unknown.”

This tank has had cheap BTA’s (they went to live with their mom a while ago), and has rock flowers and a CSB (with provenance). Knock on wood it’s all good (it has been so for over a year I think. Time isn’t my strong suit).

I’ve kept BTA’s toxic, black widow, sunburst, maxi/mini, rockflower, Sherman’s, etc together. No issues.

Attachments

• 8E657704-8B88-49B1-9667-A261D064371E.jpeg
    8E657704-8B88-49B1-9667-A261D064371E.jpeg
    204.8 KB · Views: 28

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I wonder is if this is just a case of "I ordered a CSB and it died soon after arrival" without realize the cheapy RBTA they got from the lfs and is thriving went through FAR less stress to reach their tank than that CSB. But of course if someone wants to send me a CSB, i'd be happy to test that theory out in my nem tank.

OP
OP
S

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I wonder is if this is just a case of "I ordered a CSB and it died soon after arrival" without realize the cheapy RBTA they got from the lfs and is thriving went through FAR less stress to reach their tank than that CSB. But of course if someone wants to send me a CSB, i'd be happy to test that theory out in my nem tank.
So many sellers pray they can keep things alive until they can sell them. As seen below you post, some idiots will split them in 1/2 with a razorblade, let theN heal until they look ok and sell them.

We got lucky. My wife had a local group friend who had them, we were on the list when it split, two years later… and it made a 30 minute trip to our home.

I’m sorry to the person(s) who lost their anemone.

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also anecdotal, but I've never been able to keep multiple types of btas together long term. A ritteri and a bunch of btas, no problem. But add a rainbow to the other side of a 300 gallon full of green btas, and it will wander and shrink away to nothing.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 53.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.3%
Back