Multiple Clownfish Species in Same Tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter dnledman
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

dnledman

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 15, 2014
Messages
255
Reaction score
159
Location
Westchester
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi everyone, I am debating keeping a pair of Clarkii and Percula clownfish in a 180. Does anyone have any experience with this or any reason to talk me out of this?

Thanks!
 
Clarkii's are tough and can be very aggressive...maybe a skunk pair and a perc..
 
Hi everyone, I am debating keeping a pair of Clarkii and Percula clownfish in a 180. Does anyone have any experience with this or any reason to talk me out of this?

Thanks!
Will Not be fine as clowns have a hierarchy and are often dominant and territorial. Clarkis and tomato's as well as maroons will bite and even bite its owners. When fertile can be nasty in nature. I have had mixed clowns such as ice, percula and storms but would not go further
 
Last edited:
Yeah I do…it worked fine, until it didn’t

A nem died and the female tomato that once hosted it went totally off the rails…she proceeded to actually kill several other clowns and harassed a Idol until it lost its ability to eat

You can however “sometimes” get some dissimilar species to sorta pair, but thats hit or miss big time…
Dunning - Krueger disclaimer
 
Got it, this is one of those things that I think in my head makes a ton of sense but in practice could lead to some pain. Thanks for the responses
 
As said above, Clarki are one of the most aggressive species and not the best choice for what you are desiring.
Orange or pink skunks and Ocellaris would be a better option. You might be successful 'if' you can help them establish territory on each end of a 6 foot 180 gallon. Better succes if you keep them as singles.
I currently have a small harem of pink skunks, a pair of orange skunks, and a pair of Ocellaris in my 8 foot long 360 gallon. All of them stay in their territory and are spawning regularly. During spawning, the dominant pink skunks will push right up to the very edge of their territory and square off with the Ocellaris pair, but no actual violence.
 
Got it, this is one of those things that I think in my head makes a ton of sense but in practice could lead to some pain. Thanks for the responses
Yeah, I asked the same question and got the same answer. Too bad. Although clowns are kind of a cliché, I still think they are some of the most beautiful fish out there.
 
Beautiful tank @Seancj I have definitely ruled out clarkii, I am still kind of debating skunks and ocellaris. 360 vs 180 is a very different situation however.
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 20.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 19 27.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 13.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 11.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 8.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new