Multiple dwarf angels in one tank?

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Half Black won't be out of QT till some time in June. That is unless I come up on some other fish to stick in QT and it will restart the process.

Going forward the fish list will include a rabbit to combat the bubble algae that never dies. Aside from that, I'm hoping to find a nox, false lemon/heralds, a rusty and possibly a venustus. Wife wants flames or flamebacks and I'm still interested in multicolors if they truly do survive long-term outside of deep water. Eventually I'll look at a golden or flagfin for the larger angels.

If anyone sees a blue potters though, I'll buy that!
Ah, I see. I feel like I saw a nox for sale recently but can't recall where. With how much I never see the golden angel and how closely he sticks to the shadows anyway, I feel like I have my fix for that already. I actually picked up a false lemon and removed one of the lemon peels I had. Definitely prefer the false lemon behavior wise. I'd actually like to pick up a Venustus too if I come across one.

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw aquacultured Potters at $900 and I'll pass. I currently have flame, flameback, bicolor, multicolor, orange peel and they do well together in a mixed reef. I'm on my second multicolor in 9 years so yes, they have done pretty well for me. I keep seeing people wanting coral beauties. They have always ended up being aggressive problem fish and one that just wouldn't die killed a golden on me. I've also kept Potter's and really want another at far less than $900. I think I paid $80 for the Hawaiin I had for years.
Wow! That's definitely out my price range. Hopefully they come down to something more reasonable. I'd be okay paying around flame angel or the Paracentropyge prices. The days of getting them for $80 are probably not coming back but if the did I would for sure buy three.

OP
OP
reefsamurai

reefsamurai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Under the lighting, the fish has rusty orange that ring it's eyes and gills/fins. I can't get a good pic to capture this though.

IMG_20230527_101721916.jpg
IMG_20230527_101734515.jpg
IMG_20230527_101735710.jpg

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! The Half Black looks like a really good specimen. Glad we got to see the Coral Beauty and the Ebli a little in the first video too! Corals are looking really good too. I especially like the Ricordea.
I'm not sure I'd recommend a Golden Angelfish at this point, just because of how rare I see mune considering how much they cost, lol. I was just wondering if he was still alive and then caught a glimpse of him a few minutes ago. I actually added an Ebli, about a little over a month ago I think, along with a Heraldi and another Multibar. Removed one of the Lemonpeels which removed at least half the stress they were causing. Tried making a YouTube short but not sure how successful that was. I'll try to get a full video out soon.

OP
OP
reefsamurai

reefsamurai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! The Half Black looks like a really good specimen. Glad we got to see the Coral Beauty and the Ebli a little in the first video too! Corals are looking really good too. I especially like the Ricordea.
I'm not sure I'd recommend a Golden Angelfish at this point, just because of how rare I see mune considering how much they cost, lol. I was just wondering if he was still alive and then caught a glimpse of him a few minutes ago. I actually added an Ebli, about a little over a month ago I think, along with a Heraldi and another Multibar. Removed one of the Lemonpeels which removed at least half the stress they were causing. Tried making a YouTube short but not sure how successful that was. I'll try to get a full video out soon.

Great video! Lots of angels in a small corner makes for a colorful display.

The orange ricordea is one of my favorites and is sprouting babies now that I figured out my dosing pump wasn't working for two weeks. It bottomed my levels and everything looked upset and wouldn't polyp out. These might be soft corals but they suck out the nutrients.

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video! Lots of angels in a small corner makes for a colorful display.

The orange ricordea is one of my favorites and is sprouting babies now that I figured out my dosing pump wasn't working for two weeks. It bottomed my levels and everything looked upset and wouldn't polyp out. These might be soft corals but they suck out the nutrients.
Thanks! Yeah, the 3 newer guys were all pretty close so grabbed a quick video of it. That's cool that your Ricordea is dropping some clones. I had an orange one that wasn't quite as cool looking as yours but I'm pretty sure my torch coral killed it. It's completely disappeared at least. Still have a yellow one a little further from the torch that's doing okay.
Fish wise, I'm kinda hoping I come across a Venetsus some time soon. Wouldn't mind giving those a try since the Multibars seem to be doing okay.

OP
OP
reefsamurai

reefsamurai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Yeah, the 3 newer guys were all pretty close so grabbed a quick video of it. That's cool that your Ricordea is dropping some clones. I had an orange one that wasn't quite as cool looking as yours but I'm pretty sure my torch coral killed it. It's completely disappeared at least. Still have a yellow one a little further from the torch that's doing okay.
Fish wise, I'm kinda hoping I come across a Venetsus some time soon. Wouldn't mind giving those a try since the Multibars seem to be doing okay.

Since you're stocking size is currently larger than mine, are you A. finding that as you add to it the aggression is spreading/thinning out and B. That normally shyer species are becoming more active/less cryptic?

Your multibars, did you get those online or locally? Were they a pair initially?

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you're stocking size is currently larger than mine, are you A. finding that as you add to it the aggression is spreading/thinning out and B. That normally shyer species are becoming more active/less cryptic?

Your multibars, did you get those online or locally? Were they a pair initially?
I believe aggression is thinning or at least not any worse. Even when I had four angels, aggression was mostly just a few seconds of chase here and there and it's mostly the same. The aggression when adding new angels has definitely thinned a lot.

I honestly don't know which ones are supposed to cryptic outside of the Golden Angel. The rest are all pretty out and about. I guess the newer Multibar is a little cryptic but the original one was at first too. The original one is out all the time now and even comes up to the front of the glass when I'm about to feed at night.

I got the Multibars separately, a few months apart. I ordered the first one I tried online and it never tried to eat or even pick at the rocks or anything. It only survived for around a week. It also looked pretty mature so maybe it was less likely to adjust to a new environment. I picked the second two up from an lfs. They were much smaller than the one I got from online, looked healthy, and were both nipping around the tank like they wanted to eat. They also made eye contact and seemed pretty alert. Then first of the lfs Multibars is a real pig. Eats pellet flake and frozen pretty aggressively. I haven't seen the second one eat directly but I see it nipping around the rocks and he's starting to come out more. Seems like you have to get lucky with Multibars based on reports from others.

I'm not sure why your dwarf angels seem more cryptic. Do you see any aggression between the dwarfs and the larger angels?

OP
OP
reefsamurai

reefsamurai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe aggression is thinning or at least not any worse. Even when I had four angels, aggression was mostly just a few seconds of chase here and there and it's mostly the same. The aggression when adding new angels has definitely thinned a lot.

I honestly don't know which ones are supposed to cryptic outside of the Golden Angel. The rest are all pretty out and about. I guess the newer Multibar is a little cryptic but the original one was at first too. The original one is out all the time now and even comes up to the front of the glass when I'm about to feed at night.

I got the Multibars separately, a few months apart. I ordered the first one I tried online and it never tried to eat or even pick at the rocks or anything. It only survived for around a week. It also looked pretty mature so maybe it was less likely to adjust to a new environment. I picked the second two up from an lfs. They were much smaller than the one I got from online, looked healthy, and were both nipping around the tank like they wanted to eat. They also made eye contact and seemed pretty alert. Then first of the lfs Multibars is a real pig. Eats pellet flake and frozen pretty aggressively. I haven't seen the second one eat directly but I see it nipping around the rocks and he's starting to come out more. Seems like you have to get lucky with Multibars based on reports from others.

I'm not sure why your dwarf angels seem more cryptic. Do you see any aggression between the dwarfs and the larger angels?

The only aggression seen is from the imperator keeping all others of the knowledge that it is in charge and as the largest fish in there, will remain as such. Which is hilarious because it's also the first one to dash for the rocks if it sees something it doesn't like, fast movement, unfamiliar people, a shadow...

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Have you ever seen the videos of the anagonbe reef? watching this video reminded me of it, with all its dwarf angels in a corner swimming against the current, beautiful fish.

OP
OP
reefsamurai

reefsamurai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever seen the videos of the anagonbe reef? watching this video reminded me of it, with all its dwarf angels in a corner swimming against the current, beautiful fish.

Well that was 40 secs of me wishing it was 40 minutes. Video was way too short. Definitely a great assortment of fish.

I just looked over and the half black is cruising the shark cage while all the other angels are out and about. Even the eibli is out picking at the rocks. I would still like to know which one is my aiptasia eater and personally thank them for cleaning up all the babies after I nuked the adults.

So I posted in a separate thread about rabbits and algae control, especially the dreaded bubble I have. Someone mentioned magnificent have the best luck eating all algae. I know this thread is primarily to showcase the angels but what is everyone's thoughts here on it?

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only aggression seen is from the imperator keeping all others of the knowledge that it is in charge and as the largest fish in there, will remain as such. Which is hilarious because it's also the first one to dash for the rocks if it sees something it doesn't like, fast movement, unfamiliar people, a shadow...
That is hilarious. I wonder if that has anything to do with the general cryptic nature of everyone. The king of the tank just happened to have a skittish personality so maybe everyone else follows that lead. Wonder if something like a dither fish would bring everyone out more?

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think I found the same 40 second video reefsamurai did. Definitely some beautiful fish.

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank god it's out of stock and that I'm building a fire pit in the backyard...
Haha! Probably dodged a bullet. Looks really good on that picture though!! I saw a small dark brownish flash of mine for 5 seconds earlier today so I at least confirmed he's still alive.

Well that was 40 secs of me wishing it was 40 minutes. Video was way too short. Definitely a great assortment of fish.

I just looked over and the half black is cruising the shark cage while all the other angels are out and about. Even the eibli is out picking at the rocks. I would still like to know which one is my aiptasia eater and personally thank them for cleaning up all the babies after I nuked the adults.

So I posted in a separate thread about rabbits and algae control, especially the dreaded bubble I have. Someone mentioned magnificent have the best luck eating all algae. I know this thread is primarily to showcase the angels but what is everyone's thoughts here on it?
That's interesting, I suspect someone in my tank eats aiptasia too. It's definitely in my sump and I put some rubble rock and shells from my display in a frag tank and aiptasia started popping up every. Never really see it in the display though. Occasionally I'll add some berghias to the refugium so I've been chalking it up to that but still kind of suspecting that someone is probably taking out the baby aiptasia in the display. Not that I'm complaining.
The pitho and emerald crabs I get from reef cleaners have been doing a great job on the bubble algae for me. I only really see it growing on my mp40s now, since . there's no way they can get to that.
https://www.reefcleaners.org/aquarium-store/tank-cleaners

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha! Probably dodged a bullet. Looks really good on that picture though!! I saw a small dark brownish flash of mine for 5 seconds earlier today so I at least confirmed he's still alive.

That's interesting, I suspect someone in my tank eats aiptasia too. It's definitely in my sump and I put some rubble rock and shells from my display in a frag tank and aiptasia started popping up every. Never really see it in the display though. Occasionally I'll add some berghias to the refugium so I've been chalking it up to that but still kind of suspecting that someone is probably taking out the baby aiptasia in the display. Not that I'm complaining.
The pitho and emerald crabs I get from reef cleaners have been doing a great job on the bubble algae for me. I only really see it growing on my mp40s now, since . there's no way they can get to that.
https://www.reefcleaners.org/aquarium-store/tank-cleaners
Sorry for the late reply, well that Asian reef just stopped updating his YT channel, and sadly it seems like he never had any build thread anywhere on the web, so it's been several years since he updated but I loved his style minimalist with clean sand, and lots of healthy and colorful angelfishes. I remember that Anagonbe had a blog that also seems to have disappeared. I looked for it a while ago and it was no longer available.
About golden angelfish, it will be considerably difficult for me to see it swimming outside the rocks, for how long have You not seen it? They are small fish with fast metabolisms from what I know, so there must be a lot of food in the live rocks that they must be constantly feeding on.

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the late reply, well that Asian reef just stopped updating his YT channel, and sadly it seems like he never had any build thread anywhere on the web, so it's been several years since he updated but I loved his style minimalist with clean sand, and lots of healthy and colorful angelfishes. I remember that Anagonbe had a blog that also seems to have disappeared. I looked for it a while ago and it was no longer available.
About golden angelfish, it will be considerably difficult for me to see it swimming outside the rocks, for how long have You not seen it? They are small fish with fast metabolisms from what I know, so there must be a lot of food in the live rocks that they must be constantly feeding on.

I "saw" the golden angelfish a few minutes ago. I only put saw in quotations because he stays in the shadows so much he may as well be a nox angelfish, as far as actually being able to make out any details go. I even tried grabbing a photo when he swam up to a corner by the overflow but I doubt you can even make out he's in center of the picture.
PXL_20230530_030444880.MP~2.jpg

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 28 16.7%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 69 41.1%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 25 14.9%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 36 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.0%
Back