Multiple dwarf angels in one tank?

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flavissima complex is the most likely to bite the corals inside the reef tank, I hope yours hold back, either way that tank is amazing, great combination of angelfishes I love them.
Thanks! I appreciate that. I can confirm your statement. They are monsters. I may end up rehoming them. Do therm heraldi have a better reputation? Live aquari has those listed as "may nip" instead of "very prone" like the Lemonpeels. I really like the eye markings on the Lemonpeels so I wanted to give them a shot.

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I appreciate that. I can confirm your statement. They are monsters. I may end up rehoming them. Do therm heraldi have a better reputation? Live aquari has those listed as "may nip" instead of "very prone" like the Lemonpeels. I really like the eye markings on the Lemonpeels so I wanted to give them a shot.
Lemonpeel angels are beautiful, but are generally not friendly to corals, especially LPS corals. Unfortunately I can't answer right now about C.heraldi, I need a couple of pieces of data that I have on my laptop, I'll do it as soon as I can, but you definitely have a better chance with these fish than any of the flavissima complex, if you're looking of a yellow angelfish, may be the option.

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three coral beautie,s one bicolor and a Half black angel as well as a singapore in a 125 gallon. First 2 days was tough now they often swim together and No conflicts or fights. I changed the rockwork and added the coral beauties and bicolor and singapore to the tank at the same time. All doing great now. good luck.

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three coral beautie,s one bicolor and a Half black angel as well as a singapore in a 125 gallon. First 2 days was tough now they often swim together and No conflicts or fights. I changed the rockwork and added the coral beauties and bicolor and singapore to the tank at the same time. All doing great now. good luck.
Welcome to the club! I would love to see that if you ever brake any video. A Coral Beauty harem sounds awesome. What made you decide to try multiple dwarfs? Just curious.

Lemonpeel angels are beautiful, but are generally not friendly to corals, especially LPS corals. Unfortunately I can't answer right now about C.heraldi, I need a couple of pieces of data that I have on my laptop, I'll do it as soon as I can, but you definitely have a better chance with these fish than any of the flavissima complex, if you're looking of a yellow angelfish, may be the option.
Yeah I'm really on the fence about the Lemonpeels at this point. Since I like the dwarf angels so much I always kind of expected that I would have to experiment with coral a little and just get things less likely to get picked on but the Lemonpeels are next level with the coral harassing and seem to pick on everything indiscriminately for the most part. They do at least leave the torch and hammer corals alone though, which was my initial main concern with them. They also at least accomplished the other half of my goal with getting them, which was to draw attention away from the multibar I wanted to add. I figured adding them at the same time would help keep the Multibar from getting picked on. The Multibar has been so ignored by everyone else that I'm not even sure the Lemonpeel distraction plan was necessary though. Maybe Centropyge and Paracentropyge don't really show much aggression towards each other? I doubt my plan could have worked that well.

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the club! I would love to see that if you ever brake any video. A Coral Beauty harem sounds awesome. What made you decide to try multiple dwarfs? Just curious.

Yeah I'm really on the fence about the Lemonpeels at this point. Since I like the dwarf angels so much I always kind of expected that I would have to experiment with coral a little and just get things less likely to get picked on but the Lemonpeels are next level with the coral harassing and seem to pick on everything indiscriminately for the most part. They do at least leave the torch and hammer corals alone though, which was my initial main concern with them. They also at least accomplished the other half of my goal with getting them, which was to draw attention away from the multibar I wanted to add. I figured adding them at the same time would help keep the Multibar from getting picked on. The Multibar has been so ignored by everyone else that I'm not even sure the Lemonpeel distraction plan was necessary though. Maybe Centropyge and Paracentropyge don't really show much aggression towards each other? I doubt my plan could have worked that well.
I have only had multibar angel in one occasion, it was severely bothered by my flame angel for days, also by a coral beauty, I simply attribute it to the character of each fish, since that coral beauty was very small compared to my flame angel who was twice the size, multibar was bigger than both of them and was bothered by both, however flame angel was very mean to my coral beauty who didn't even take it into account, it's weird but these guys have interesting personalities which makes them even more striking, beyond its colorful designs. If I had multibar angel again, I'd go for it over the rest of my angels, only IMO.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, congrats! How's everyone doing in there. Was there drama adding a smaller angel in?
Everyone is doing great. The other two dwarf angelfish came up, "smelled" the new angel and then said "hey, let's go play." And that was that.

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dwarf angels especially Coral beauties are my favorite group of Fish.

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dwarf angels especially Coral beauties are my favorite group of Fish.
That's awesome! I can definitely understand how you feel.
I like to keep harem of Flame Angels I. My tank. Other dwarf angels too but mainly Flame.

I would really like to see that if you have any videos floating around.

Everyone is doing great. The other two dwarf angelfish came up, "smelled" the new angel and then said "hey, let's go play." And that was that.
That's really good to hear. Glad everything worked out!

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of coral beauty angels, the aberrations seem magnificent to me, there is one recently captured by RVS, with an incredible orange color.

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of coral beauty angels, the aberrations seem magnificent to me, there is one recently captured by RVS, with an incredible orange color.
Yes! I saw that on Reef Builders. Absolutely amazing. Kind of looks like a golden angel on steroids. I wish the guy who bought it posted some video of his tank.

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! I saw that on Reef Builders. Absolutely amazing. Kind of looks like a golden angel on steroids. I wish the guy who bought it posted some video of his tank.
"Golden angel on steroids" lol. Oh yes, I remember this awesome fish you mention in this RB article, but I'm talking about a more recent one, it seems it was this past weekend, it's a great fish, and I think it lives up to your adjectives :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:.

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, finally I was able to check my laptop, so it's assumed that Centropyge heraldi belongs to the bicolor complex, and therefore they have a considerable risk to bite corals, although it's still lower compared to C.flavissima. If you want to try one of these fish in your tank, you may want to feed it many times in quarantine with prepared foods, to try to lessen the risk.

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, finally I was able to check my laptop, so it's assumed that Centropyge heraldi belongs to the bicolor complex, and therefore they have a considerable risk to bite corals, although it's still lower compared to C.flavissima. If you want to try one of these fish in your tank, you may want to feed it many times in quarantine with prepared foods, to try to lessen the risk.
Thanks for checking! Maybe I'll give them a shot. The Lemonpeels are leagues worse than everyone else in the tank and they're still only right on the edge of annoying so much that I want to remove them, so any improvement would probably be fine.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I didn’t know Heraldi is part of the Bicolor complex so thanks for letting me know. It does seem that Heraldi are a very common dwarf Angelfish in Japan, along with Half-Black, Bicolor, Keyhole (Tibicen), Pacific Pygmy (Flavicauda / Fisheri), Coral Beauty and of course Interruptus. Lemonpeels are only found in the Ogasawara Islands. Rusty is also a common one along the main islands. I know all of this from watching diving videos by Japanese photographers.

I wonder if Heraldi is more peaceful than Lemonpeel or Bicolor, I didn’t hear many stories of Bicolor being aggressive.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tori I just realized I commented on your channel. You have more dwarf angels than I thought, I thought originally you had like 6 or 7? 11’s pretty amazing to have them all in one tank. What are your most and least aggressive species? Another interesting scenario would be the Flameback pair accepting the Cherub and coming together to form a trio. They’re part of the same Xiphypops complex although in the wild their geographical ranges means they’ll never meet.

I am not sure which of your angels are captive bred, but even so I’d imagine the Golden to be the shyest by far. Have you had any issues getting any of the species to feed?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve missed a lot of this thread… I’ve still not gotten a Dwarf Angel but I nearly did. I nearly got a Potters Angel but unfortunately it was sold earlier this week after a couple months sat in the LFS.

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tori I just realized I commented on your channel. You have more dwarf angels than I thought, I thought originally you had like 6 or 7? 11’s pretty amazing to have them all in one tank. What are your most and least aggressive species? Another interesting scenario would be the Flameback pair accepting the Cherub and coming together to form a trio. They’re part of the same Xiphypops complex although in the wild their geographical ranges means they’ll never meet.

I am not sure which of your angels are captive bred, but even so I’d imagine the Golden to be the shyest by far. Have you had any issues getting any of the species to feed?
You're right on everything! I had 7 for a long time and added 4 more recently. I've only had the 2 Lemonpeels, the multibar and the golden angel for the last few months and yes the golden is definitely the shyest and most reclusive. I added the golden with a different fully grown multibar first but that multibar unfortunately didn't make it. I found both online so didn't see them in person first. The first multibar just hid behind the rocks and never tried to eat. He was by far bigger than everyone else so no one bothered him at all. I saw the multibar that I have now at an lfs and he was pretty small but seemed like he had a lot of personality. Luckily he eats both dry and frozen food and spends all day picking around the rocks. He even comes right up to the glass when I'm feeding frozen at night now. I mostly wanted the lemonpeels to take some attention away from the new multibar I wanted to add and also the golden since he was still pretty new at the time.
Other than that original mature multibar it hasn't been an issue getting anyone to feed. I'm only assuming it was mature because it was all of 4.5 inches and maybe bigger.
It's hard to say who the most aggressive is but my largest multicolor seems to be at the top of the hierarchy for now. If you judge aggression by who tries harder to attack any new additions it may actually be the Cherub though.

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve missed a lot of this thread… I’ve still not gotten a Dwarf Angel but I nearly did. I nearly got a Potters Angel but unfortunately it was sold earlier this week after a couple months sat in the LFS.
That's great news if Potter's are starting to show up again though! I'm really surprised it sat there that long.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back