Multiple dwarf angels in one tank?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I LOVE pairs and trios of dwarf angels.
I feel the same way but not just to dwarfs, to just any trio of Angel! They look beautiful and really show colours you don’t usually see in a fish.

Rocketfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have flame and coral beauty in same tank. Bi-color angel will likely nip coral and are often difficult to keep feeding even when eating upon purchase.
I also kept a flame and a coral beauty in the same tank. They were in a 30 long reef tank to start, then eventually moved to a 70 reef tank. I had them for 4 years or so before I had to move and sold them. the 30 Long was a bit challenging and they did argue over space from time to time, but they survived. During that time I also had a gold stripe maroon clown. I attempted to introduce a male on 2 different occasions and that did not work out. That maroon clown was meaner than the angels ever thought of being! If I let the other clown out of the breeder box it would have been dead in 5 minutes.

OP
OP
reefsamurai

reefsamurai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reefsamurai, just wondering... as yours is a fish dominant tank (i could be wrong), did you think of medicating your DT against ich?
It's a full reef with coral and plenty of sponge growth that I'd rather not medicate and potentially kill everything that has been growing for years. The ich is my own mistake of not quarantining before adding anything. We have both agreed that that won't happen I. The future and are trying to find a way to make a large QT system so we can pull all remaining living fish, let the DT go fallow and then medicate the QT system. There has been enough ich stress currently so we aren't going to do anything for about a month.

707Nick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can somebody tell me what kind of angel that is in the beginning of the discussion?

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had had 6 dwarf angels in one roughly 1000L reef tank with absolutely no problems at all. They all totally ignored each other.
Flame
Lemon peel
Coral beauty
Bicolour
Potters
Bellus

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had had 6 dwarf angels in one roughly 1000L reef tank with absolutely no problems at all. They all totally ignored each other.
Flame
Lemon peel
Coral beauty
Bicolour
Potters
Bellus
I would love to have a tank that size, I also love the potters but oh my god are they pricey even before the Hawaiian ban.

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to have a tank that size, I also love the potters but oh my god are they pricey even before the Hawaiian ban.
To be fair this was 6 years ago or so and the potters although still pricey were nothing like they are today. I think I paid about £60 for him. I find the 1000L threshold just makes the tank super stable and so much easier to look after. It is now behind my till area at my garden centre being admired all day every day. We work 7 days and basically live here so it was just such a waste being at home.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never knew you could keep multiple dwarf in one tank? I have always been told only one dwarf angel in a tank or they will fight to the death.

After seeing this thread and the amount of people with multiples that work, I may have to pick up another flame to go with my lemon peel.

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never knew you could keep multiple dwarf in one tank? I have always been told only one dwarf angel in a tank or they will fight to the death.

After seeing this thread and the amount of people with multiples that work, I may have to pick up another flame to go with my lemon peel.
I was concerned with the potters and coral beauty being similar colours but nope they all got on really well. They all had plenty of habitat based scape to play with though. I had loads of rock. I'll post a photo shortly. This was a photo taken a few weeks before I added an Emperor angel that had velvet and killed every fish in this tank except the clowns the regal tang who is still with me to this day. Huge lesson learned that day...the values of quarantine are endless!
IMG_2243.jpg

Last edited:

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a load of rock in my 80G cube too. Plenty of hiding spaces, and plenty of rock to pick at. Going to do the LFS crawl today, so might have to pick up another angel if I see one.

My current lemonpeel has only been in the tank about 2 months. so will surely use an acclimation box.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was concerned with the potters and coral beauty being similar colours but nope they all got on really well. They all had plenty of habitat based scape to play with though. I had loads of rock. I'll post a photo shortly. This was a photo taken a few weeks before I added an Emperor angel that had velvet and killed every fish in this tank except the clowns the regal tang who is still with me to this day. Huge lesson learned that day...the values of quarantine are endless!
IMG_2243.jpg
Now that is a VERY nice tank! A shame the Achilles dude because they’re such nice fish and have always been in the £600-£700 category of fish (This is the only reason why I’ve avoided them).

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that is a VERY nice tank! A shame the Achilles dude because they’re such nice fish and have always been in the £600-£700 category of fish (This is the only reason why I’ve avoided them).
Thanks man appreciate it. That Achillies cost me £150 I think. I was gutted when the velvet hit. Honestly, when I hear of people not quarantining their fish I just want to show them a slideshow of what could happen. I had a bucket of dead fish...horrific. I still beat myself up about it as it was all my fault.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man appreciate it. That Achillies cost me £150 I think. I was gutted when the velvet hit. Honestly, when I hear of people not quarantining their fish I just want to show them a slideshow of what could happen. I had a bucket of dead fish...horrific. I still beat myself up about it as it was all my fault.
Yeah, I don’t QT but my LFS does with the oldest of their fish so I always get the ones that have been in for months (Sometimes that’s impossible with the fish I like that they get in - These guys get in some of the rarest fish, in March 21 they had one of the only two Achilles to be sold in England). The longer the fish has been in my LFS then the more you’d know it was safe because it’s every month or so that they do a QT on their selling fish.

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a full reef with coral and plenty of sponge growth that I'd rather not medicate and potentially kill everything that has been growing for years. The ich is my own mistake of not quarantining before adding anything. We have both agreed that that won't happen I. The future and are trying to find a way to make a large QT system so we can pull all remaining living fish, let the DT go fallow and then medicate the QT system. There has been enough ich stress currently so we aren't going to do anything for about a month.
Yup, my experience with HLLE are mainly with the larger angelfish (e.g. Blue Lip, Koran, etc.) and tang (e.g. Hippo).. not with the small fishes.

Can understand.. in fact i am struggling with a similar issue myself (with ich and velvet that killed many of my fishes).. only managed move a few to my QT and only 3 survived (1 coral beauty, 1 purple elegance goby & 1 electric blue damsel).

Now, i still have 2 more fish in the tank -- a purple elegance and tiger goby which i am not able to catch (no matter how I try).. and i am not ready to take down the rock work of my 5ft tank... so i am stuck with these 2 guys in the tank still before i could go fellow... any suggestions on what to do in my case? Thanks.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back