Multiple dwarf angels in one tank?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm home now and the Atlantic blue is alive. Not happy but alive. He has the ich and is avoiding all other fish like the plague. Is eating though so there's always hope. Everyone else that's visible is doing fine though. Expect a video update this weekend.
Great to know he’s alive - Fingers crossed he survives. These are some of the most beautiful fish for sure.

OP
OP
reefsamurai

reefsamurai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to know he’s alive - Fingers crossed he survives. These are some of the most beautiful fish for sure.
Three factors he is dealing with, multiple new additions to the aquarium, one of them challenged his sleeping hole and then I rearranged the rockwork to destroy perceived territories. I think he will pull through but we are officially on aquarium lockdown till these issues pass. He is definitely a dominant type fish and taking his crown off definitely gave him a complex.

I will continue updates however and hopefully by next month things will have evened out and maybe even find some of the Mia fish.

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best of luck to all your fish, especially your angels, how long do you have with the blue Atlantic surgeon?

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Along with an eye… In his collection, money is just a number and bankruptcy is just a word

Wait, he has a trio of G. personatus?! I’d love to see a video of his tank, G. personatus is my favourite of the genicanthus species (Slowly followed by the two Swallowtails). P. Boylei is just a photo to me, Although if I did see one for sale over here, I would sell a house for it.
I just went through the latest videos and it doesn't just show his adult G.personatus trio. He also has 4 or 5 juveniles in QT, as well as other interesting wrasses, that's crazy.

tigre44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a flame back, flame, and a lemonpeel all together in a 52 gal tank. All introduced at different time and all get along fine. I introduced all in the evening after the lights shutdown

Bcdjoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 9 pigmy angels in my 240 tank. Three flames, two lemon peals, two coral beauties one potters and one bicolor.
I quarantine the new additions for several months then I add them at night after the lights have gone out. If they are still aggressive in the morning I keep the lights off and wrap black plastic around the tank for a day before I turn the lights back on. Have not lost any new additions this way.

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worked for me for 3 years until one day of no longer worked. It’s not of matter of of will they won’t they. It’s just a matter of time

Kaiser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very deepwater ones like Boylei, Narcosis, and the even more elusive Abei (unlike the other two, this one’s never been found living above 100m) will probably need temperatures that are significantly lower than average reef systems. I think there’s a lone Boylei specimen in the tank of a Japanese collector who set up a dedicated system for it with pretty cool temperatures, and he’s had it for over a decade by now.

Interruptus also calls for lower temperatures due to their habitat mostly being in southern Japan. Perhaps the ones from the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands do okay under normal reef temperatures? Maybe but don’t quote me.

Debelius, if we ever see them, require somewhat lower temperatures too as they tend to live beyond the depth of most collectors / recreational divers. Only lone specimens have been found in shallower waters, and Scott W. Michael believes that’s because the main population is found much deeper (250-300 feet and below). The average person will never be able to afford one or even see a living one so yeah.

I’m not sure about Multicolors, Multibars, Colin’s and Venusta. I don’t think they’re strictly deepwater / very deepwater angels, just found at moderate depths relative to the average diver. Perhaps the Nahackyi falls into this category too, and we don’t see it because it’s almost impossible to obtain.

A lot of Genicanthus angels apart from the Lamarck’s and the Spotbreast possibly do better in cooler temperatures too, as they’re more common below 150-200 feet. However plenty of people keep them at normal reef temperatures and they do just fine. I do remember reading about Copps moving his Semifasciatus pair to a cooler tank because they weren’t liking temps in the upper 70s.

Bandit Angels are mostly found at depth (though not like super deep) so might also appreciate cooler temperatures.
Old client of mine had two Abei Angels at 72-74 degrees. I've been lucky enough to see 3 of these fish so far. On top of that, he also had a Debelius Angel in his main tank (with two Genicanthus Personatus and some bandit Angels) which ran at around 74-77 degrees.

IMG_20190223_112734.jpg Screenshot_20211116-194212~3.png Screenshot_20211116-194148~2.png

Last edited:

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had a Lemonpeel and a Coral Beauty together for years. The Lemonpeel will occasionally chase the Coral Beauty but it doesn’t amount to much. Of course it’s a large tank (180 gallons) and there’s a ton of live rock, caves, etc, which certainly helps.

If you have a big tank with a lot of rock, and add them at the same time, it shouldn’t be an issue.

Kaiser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s amazing. Are these fish still alive? If so, how old are they now? Just saw your build thread, I am 25 btw so part of the younger crowd too.
As far as I'm aware all of these fish are still alive, those photos were from over 3 years ago and they had been in those tanks for a while before then. At one point there was actually a plan being tossed around to sell the Abei Angels to a breeder (I believe it was Karen Brittain) to start a captive breeding program, but that apparently fell through. Also excuse my empty build thread, I went through a long battle with dinos and refused to update since then so now I'm just getting ready to start updating again.

lester lloyd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently house multiple dwarf angels in a 180 with minimal aggression in my fowlr I have a flame lemon peel a golden and a reef beauty for 3 years with addition multicolored in January and a rusty in August I may try a ebli next I have five tangs and a passer angel 4 clowns and two dottybacks I have a whitetail bristle tooth and the third purple tang in quarantine ( I lost one of my trio in July while I was on vacation) yes multiple dwarfs are possible try adding the first 3 or four together to keep aggression to a minimal

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old client of mine had two Abei Angels at 72-74 degrees. I've been lucky enough to see 3 of these fish so far. On top of that, he also had a Debelius Angel in his main tank (with two Genicanthus Personatus and some bandit Angels) which ran at around 74-77 degrees.

IMG_20190223_112734.jpg Screenshot_20211116-194212~3.png Screenshot_20211116-194148~2.png
They must’ve had some money to have a minimum of 5 rare angels. I’m starting to like pairs of Abei angels and wish they weren’t so rare.

kass03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a coral beauty and a flame that I introduced together in my 180g. For 4 years they got along fine. Then one day the flame decided to kill the coral beauty. As someone else said it's only a matter of time.
I love flames but I've had a cpl different ones over the years and when they get to be adults they are very territorial. I've had more than one kill other fish including a solon fairy wrasse. I won't get another flame.
Currently I have a bicolor in my 180g reef which I love.

Kaiser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They must’ve had some money to have a minimum of 5 rare angels. I’m starting to like pairs of Abei angels and wish they weren’t so rare.
Roughly about 200k of fish (prices were a bit more expensive back then for some of his fish). He originally had a trio of Personatus but 3 days before I started taking care of things one of them managed to hop out of the tank.

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roughly about 200k of fish (prices were a bit more expensive then for some of his fish)
200k… I wish I could throw that much money into JUST the fish, I probably spend 200k on water per year though.

Kaiser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was insane, almost every bedroom of the house had exotic fish. His son had a pair of bladefin basslets in his bedroom, while his daughter had a flathead perch. The Abei Angels were in his guest bedroom lol.

carbasaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a multibar, venustus and a regal together in 200 gallon tank. Also yellow tang, kole tang, scribbled rabbitfish, fox face and wantanabe angel in same tank. Sps dominant. Some short squabbles but nothing sustained. I think with lots of rock work for hiding a tank that large could hold more than one centropyge. I have never had a cherub and read they can be scrappy so no promises there Also have a lemonpeel and eibli together in a 65. They don’t really like each other but no big fights and occasionally seen swimming together. Again lots of rock work helps and the eibli stays to himself for the most part to stay out of trouble

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back