Multiple tang keepers sanity check please

skip0211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 265 gal SPS tank with multiple tangs.. 13 yr old Powder Blue, 6 yr old Orange Shoulder tang that never changed to adult colors, Sailfin Tang, Yellow Eye Kole tang and a Yellow tang. I’ve never had any aggression. Also in the tank are 2 Pyramid Butterflies, Foxface, 2 Red Stripe Angels, a Flame Angel, 3 Lyrtail Anthius, 2 Clarki Clowns and a Fire Fish.. keep everyone well fed with frozen food and Nori...
Good luck with your choices... it can be done.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a tang tank at LAX Aquariums

They've got a Naso, Sailfin, Foxface, and a few other tangs. I only have a small photo of it i found, they have a couple triggers in there too I think.

One thing they do when they feed is they provide 3-4 different spots where they give seawood/food so they don't all try to go to the same spot.

The foxface seems to bully them all though.

Attachments

• IMG_0260.jpeg
    IMG_0260.jpeg
    202.2 KB · Views: 42

VAFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a purple, hippo, Kole, and sailfin in my 265 gallon tank. I also have 4 clowns and a coral beauty. I have not had any issues yet. The tangs were not all added at the same time. The hippo was first, 2 weeks later the kole and purple. 4 months later the saifin. They have been in my tank for a month together now. They even eat together. Some are nasty, but it can work.

FYI I am adding a powder brown next week.

OP
OP
Michael White

Michael White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So by pacific blue I meant blue hippo, that’s what I ordered. You guys are terrible, aiding and abetting a Tang addict like me.... now I just want all of them, lol. Already ordered the additions on the list though. So unless anyone has an idea for one more I can squeeze in.... I think I’m done. That lavender is tempting...

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good trick I learn from a friend is to print out the fish in full color, appropriate size and tape it on the glass front of the tank. That will give you a very good idea as to how your tank going to look like.
aggressive interaction should be consider once these tangs get introduce to each other. Once they are settle, there will be wound due to fishing here and there but the main problem is stress and disease if they are overcrowded.
I think a full list as post will cause a lot of problem with stress for the fishes.

Thetankdoctor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a powder brown. A scopus a black spot tang and a sail fin in my 1000g. The sail fin had an issue with the black spot but that was early on. They are all good no issues. I am thinking of adding a gem and a black long nose to this tank too. They all should be fine. So it is very possible for multiple tangs...

Terry Le

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Hippo, PowerBlue, Naso Tang, Sailfin and 3 x Yellow tang along with other in 375 gallons for 4 plus years. Everyone is fat and happy. 8' x 3' x 2' H tank help with swimming room

OP
OP
Michael White

Michael White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added more rock to the display to increase bolt holes/sleeping spaces. There are a lot more holes and gaps in the rock than this picture really shows. Getting an order in from TSM tomorrow of prequarantined Blonde Naso and Convict tang, and my Kole tang and purple tang are through my home quarantine process. All four will be added at the same time. I have an orange shoulder and a blue hippo who just started copper last night. Orange shoulder is a pig. Hopefully the blue hippo makes it, not looking great though. No obvious issues just not eating enough. I might stop copper for it and just get it fatter before trying to put it through copper treatment again.

985E645E-30BD-4B54-AFAD-6421D592F911.jpeg

Colin_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking good, keep in mind, which i failed to do and had to re-arrange the rocks, is the size the fish grow to, so remember so they can still fit in the swim throughs when they get bigger..

pasquale petrovia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 225 gallon with yellow, yellow mimic, half black mimic, tomini, orange shoulder, Mata, Blonde Naso,and Fiji foxface. They all are around 4-5 inches except the 6" orange shoulder and 8" and growing Mata. They get along fine. They have been together for 6-7 months. They do establish a pecking order and bonds

OP
OP
Michael White

Michael White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Tang introduction to the display went great! All fish are doing well and eating like pigs. Thoughts on swapping the planned Foxface for a Yellow Tang? I really like the interaction between the tangs. Foxfaces I have seen always seemed oblivious to other fish in the tank. I do realize it adds another Tang’s personality to the tank. Right now I have:
In display: Purple Tang, Kole Tang, Convict Tang, Blonde Naso, Lightning Maroon Clown, and Orchid Dottyback
In Quarantine: Orange Shoulder Tang- doing well,(Blue Hippo I received never ate and perished).
My future order list from TSM: Blue Hippo Tang, Mystery Wrasse, Yellow Tang or Foxface.

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences and perspectives. This is why I love this forum, great sharing of knowledge.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got 2 yellows, lt tang (my favorite, just gorgeous), flame tang, vlaminigi, blue hippo (they really are dumb lol) and a magnificent foxface as far as "big" fish go in a 6ft 180. We overfeeding and over skim. I've started going with that negative space rock setup to really open up swimming room while still giving lots of bigger hiding spots and everyone gets along great. Some occasional chasing but not true aggression.
Order of addition was (if I recall).. lt tang, then the 2 yellows, then vlamingi and flame followed by the blue hippo (and a blue throat trigger).

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some not so recent pics

Attachments

• 20201219_114526.jpg
    20201219_114526.jpg
    312.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 20201105_150913.jpg
    20201105_150913.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 20201105_150838.jpg
    20201105_150838.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 20201023_164819.jpg
    20201023_164819.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
Michael White

Michael White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some not so recent pics
I've got 2 yellows, lt tang (my favorite, just gorgeous), flame tang, vlaminigi, blue hippo (they really are dumb lol) and a magnificent foxface as far as "big" fish go in a 6ft 180. We overfeeding and over skim. I've started going with that negative space rock setup to really open up swimming room while still giving lots of bigger hiding spots and everyone gets along great. Some occasional chasing but not true aggression.
Order of addition was (if I recall).. lt tang, then the 2 yellows, then vlamingi and flame followed by the blue hippo (and a blue throat trigger).
I went ahead and placed the order for a Blue hippo and regular (yellow) foxface. The plan is to add the Orange Shoulder, Blue Hippo, and Foxface all at once to spread out aggressive behaviors. How has the blue throat trigger worked out?

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went ahead and placed the order for a Blue hippo and regular (yellow) foxface. The plan is to add the Orange Shoulder, Blue Hippo, and Foxface all at once to spread out aggressive behaviors. How has the blue throat trigger worked out?

He's been great. We lucked into some made cave type items that don't actually leech anything. The trigger found one of of those that no one was using, claimed and is like a dog in his dog house lol. He chills in there all the time unless its feeding time or he just wants to swim a little.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's his spot that he is swimming in front of.
fish9.jpg

Matt1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
I have a gem, powder brown, and sailfin together in one tank and an Achilles, purple, yellow, and kole in another. No aggression issues

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back