Multiple tang keepers sanity check please

Michael White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those those who keep 4 plus tangs only please. My tank goals are basic: 210 gal Tang tank, running a 100 gal basement sump with two 7” diameter filter socks, oversized skimmer, and about 40gal reverse lighting cycle refugium of macro algae. High flow bare bottom display. Remote sandbed in refugium. Tangs and coral are my primary focus in the hobby after 10 years reefing, planned upgrade to 8x3x3 tank in a few years. The only other must have fish is a lightening maroon clown and one spot foxface. Please provide a sanity check for my stocking list, or provide alternatives. I will have 5-7 tangs in this tank plus my foxface and lightening maroon clown. No other fish planned.

Purple tang (currently have in QT)
Kole Tang (Currently in QT)
convict Tang (preorder placed)
Blonde Naso (preorder placed)

Pacific blue Tang (for consideration
Lavender Tang (for consideration)
Orange shoulder Tang (for consideration)
Desjardini sailfin Tang (for consideration)

Based on what others have posted about aggression levels and mixing types of tangs, i’m leaning toward a pacific blue and lavender and stopping there. The orange shoulder is in close competition with the lavender. Desjardini is in there just because I like them, but with this many tangs not sure it’s a good pick. A picture of the tank aquascape is attached for idea of swimming space if anyone cares to advise. Thanks, I really appreciate the help of members of this forum sharing their experiences.

0AE69722-4AEC-47F9-8F2B-CA558D56239F.jpeg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those those who keep 4 plus tangs only please. My tank goals are basic: 210 gal Tang tank, running a 100 gal basement sump with two 7” diameter filter socks, oversized skimmer, and about 40gal reverse lighting cycle refugium of macro algae. High flow bare bottom display. Remote sandbed in refugium. Tangs and coral are my primary focus in the hobby after 10 years reefing, planned upgrade to 8x3x3 tank in a few years. The only other must have fish is a lightening maroon clown and one spot foxface. Please provide a sanity check for my stocking list, or provide alternatives. I will have 5-7 tangs in this tank plus my foxface and lightening maroon clown. No other fish planned.

Purple tang (currently have in QT)
Kole Tang (Currently in QT)
convict Tang (preorder placed)
Blonde Naso (preorder placed)

Pacific blue Tang (for consideration
Lavender Tang (for consideration)
Orange shoulder Tang (for consideration)
Desjardini sailfin Tang (for consideration)

Based on what others have posted about aggression levels and mixing types of tangs, i’m leaning toward a pacific blue and lavender and stopping there. The orange shoulder is in close competition with the lavender. Desjardini is in there just because I like them, but with this many tangs not sure it’s a good pick. A picture of the tank aquascape is attached for idea of swimming space if anyone cares to advise. Thanks, I really appreciate the help of members of this forum sharing their experiences.

0AE69722-4AEC-47F9-8F2B-CA558D56239F.jpeg
Keeping multiple tangs is very risky and should never be attempted. And definitely don't add a Foxface to the mix.
dsc_0022-jpg.1057989

Or I think your stock list is very reasonable. What you can't see in this picture is that I also have a Kole tang. I have lost the Convict since this picture was taken. Very little in the way of aggression issues. My blue tang and Foxface had some issues for awhile but the blue decided he didn't like getting stung. I originally tried adding 3 yellow tangs but I did lose one of them to aggression. By the time I could catch him he was beyond saving.

The only concern I would have with your proposed 6 fish is that you may not have enough sleeping space. The free swimming space is very important, but you also need to make sure they have enough safe spaces in the rock to each have their own when spooked or at night.

Colin_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 tangs and a few other algae eating fish.
I added 3 out of the 4 tangs at the same time. Currently there's very little aggression, some chasing but thats it and they have been in the tank for 4 weeks.
I would really make sure you have enough rock structure so the fish have places to hide or at least avoid being targeted. lots of fish will spread any aggression around. But a well fed fish with a good environment should be fine. But fish can be jerks and just not get on lol.
What works for some might not work for others. I'm a big believer that if you have the correct rockwork/scape you can avoid a lot of issues.

I added in 50% more rockwork before I added my new tangs. I had fish in the tank for a couple of years before the new additions and they were much happier with the new rockwork. exploring the caves and swim throughs, it honestly made such a big difference.
thats my 2 cents

OP
OP
Michael White

Michael White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping multiple tangs is very risky and should never be attempted. And definitely don't add a Foxface to the mix.
dsc_0022-jpg.1057989

Or I think your stock list is very reasonable. What you can't see in this picture is that I also have a Kole tang. I have lost the Convict since this picture was taken. Very little in the way of aggression issues. My blue tang and Foxface had some issues for awhile but the blue decided he didn't like getting stung. I originally tried adding 3 yellow tangs but I did lose one of them to aggression. By the time I could catch him he was beyond saving.

The only concern I would have with your proposed 6 fish is that you may not have enough sleeping space. The free swimming space is very important, but you also need to make sure they have enough safe spaces in the rock to each have their own when spooked or at night.
“Keeping multiple tangs is very risky and should never be attempted. And definitely don't add a Foxface to the mix.” - Nice disclaimer

Thanks for the advice. I’ve had 3 Tangs in a 150 before, just had to feed heavily and filter heavily to keep it working. Had a Kole, Yellow, and Powder Blue. Although I knew the Yellow and Powder would need rehoming at some point.

OP
OP
Michael White

Michael White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 tangs and a few other algae eating fish.
I added 3 out of the 4 tangs at the same time. Currently there's very little aggression, some chasing but thats it and they have been in the tank for 4 weeks.
I would really make sure you have enough rock structure so the fish have places to hide or at least avoid being targeted. lots of fish will spread any aggression around. But a well fed fish with a good environment should be fine. But fish can be jerks and just not get on lol.
What works for some might not work for others. I'm a big believer that if you have the correct rockwork/scape you can avoid a lot of issues.

I added in 50% more rockwork before I added my new tangs. I had fish in the tank for a couple of years before the new additions and they were much happier with the new rockwork. exploring the caves and swim throughs, it honestly made such a big difference.
thats my 2 cents
Thanks, I was considering adding another 50% or even doubling the current rockwork. All open layouts though not just a big stack.

jdiefenbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, size and order of addition is going to play a really big part in your scenario. Acanthurus sp. are the most aggressive (esp. sohal, lineatus, Achilles, etc), so multiples in that genus is where you usually start running into problems, but not with all species. I don't consider 4 tangs to be a lot, FWIW, even in tanks as small as 100-200 gal.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Keeping multiple tangs is very risky and should never be attempted. And definitely don't add a Foxface to the mix.” - Nice disclaimer
Really more of a joke than a disclaimer. Some people do feel that way. Just like some people feel you shouldn't keep a tang in a tank that is shorter than 6'. I had 5 tangs in my 5' 187g system for over a year before I lost the Convict. The other 4 tangs and the Foxface have been together for over 3 years now.

I probably should add a disclaimer, it would be that some fish are outliers. Most people I know with Sailfin tangs have no issues at all. I do know at least 1 person who had to get rid of his because it started killing every other fish in his tank 300g system.

Thanks for the advice. I’ve had 3 Tangs in a 150 before, just had to feed heavily and filter heavily to keep it working. Had a Kole, Yellow, and Powder Blue. Although I knew the Yellow and Powder would need rehoming at some point.
I definitely do feed heavy, twice a day when I'm home and 6 times a day when I travel using my auto feeders. It helps.

OP
OP
Michael White

Michael White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, size and order of addition is going to play a really big part in your scenario. Acanthurus sp. are the most aggressive (esp. sohal, lineatus, Achilles, etc), so multiples in that genus is where you usually start running into problems, but not with all species. I don't consider 4 tangs to be a lot, FWIW, even in tanks as small as 100-200 gal.
Now we’re talking! All fish will still be in a juvenile stage when added (2-4”), and almost all at the same time.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Desjardini and pacific blue will get big
The first 4 no concerns
I have 12 with a 15” vlamingi being the largest. 5 are a school of yellow tangs

9161C54D-E001-4F0D-BBCB-DF585D25DF68.jpeg
16FA9F2C-9AA4-493A-9610-41CE2D71507F.jpeg
F1D64BFF-1E45-4CE6-9F14-AE2BDF7EA5F2.jpeg
EC965F86-70E0-4126-8F6D-206D3360AB61.jpeg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now we’re talking! All fish will still be in a juvenile stage when added (2-4”), and almost all at the same time.
I agree that Acanthurus tangs tend to be the most aggressive, but the Convict you have chosen tend to be very peaceful compared to the others. They make a great tang to add multiples of for that reason.

jdiefenbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that Acanthurus tangs tend to be the most aggressive, but the Convict you have chosen tend to be very peaceful compared to the others. They make a great tang to add multiples of for that reason.

I stocked an 8k with groups of almost every Indo-Pacific tang, and the convicts were the most problematic. They would chase each other relentlessly. Only other group that fought were A. maculiceps when they got huge.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
Michael White

Michael White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the finalists for my Stocking list are:
Blonde Naso Tang
Convict Tang
Kole Tang
Purple Tang
Pacific Blue Tang
Orange Shoulder Tang

other tankmates:
One spot yellow foxface
Orchid dottyback
Lightning Maroon Clownfish
Six line wrasse

maybe some chromis for dither fish in the future.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Topekoms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Naso get so big only one I would see an issue.

I myself have a Dej. Sailfin, yellow, purple, Achilles, powder blue, and a blue spot Rabbit. With misc other fish. I get the occasional tussle never any damages. Mainly a quick chase and done. I also have a 210g

Attachments

• IMG_20200921_180642009.jpg
    IMG_20200921_180642009.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 68
OP
OP
Michael White

Michael White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Naso get so big only one I would see an issue.

I myself have a Dej. Sailfin, yellow, purple, Achilles, powder blue, and a blue spot Rabbit. With misc other fish. I get the occasional tussle never any damages. Mainly a quick chase and done. I also have a 210g
Yeah, the Naso is a risk I’m aware I’m taking as far as tank size. Making accommodations with my rock scape and coral choices to give it the most open swimming room I can while still having enough hiding places. I’ve never seen one over 11”, although I know they can get to 18”. Really like your fish selection as well. That’s a nice mix of what many consider to be pretty aggressive group of tangs. The sailfin can get pretty darn huge themselves. I have seen a 12” sailfin and it was a sight to behold.

Topekoms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the Naso is a risk I’m aware I’m taking as far as tank size. Making accommodations with my rock scape and coral choices to give it the most open swimming room I can while still having enough hiding places. I’ve never seen one over 11”, although I know they can get to 18”. Really like your fish selection as well. That’s a nice mix of what many consider to be pretty aggressive group of tangs. The sailfin can get pretty darn huge themselves. I have seen a 12” sailfin and it was a sight to behold.
I had two dej at one time. Lost one during tank transfer after my house fire in 2019. Didn't have the Powder blue at the time. All the others made it thru the fire

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Convict is a surprisingly difficult tang. Not a very good success rate. They come in very thin and it’s tough to get weight back in them. Lots of nori and grazing surfaces needed.

I’ve gone a bit overboard with tangs in my 600 gallon system .... 13 at last count. My favorite is a Mauritius convict (zebra).

Last edited:

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went through with having 4 tangs at once in a 180. It certainly can be done, but be prepared for serious drama.

My tangs would be totally fine, then break out in a power war every two months or so. When a rivalry is established. They remember and hold grudges.

Personally I think most would enjoy their tanks more without the drama. But if you go for it, add them all at once and get the new tang 3D printed decoys from Fish of Hex

Good luck

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Your tang list is compatible as they should all get alos. Naso does not grow quickly as a Vlamingi or dussomieri tang would so i would not be concerned right now. Of your list, add the purple last who is the most agressive of the bunch although not really an aggressive fish. Make sure the convict tang is eating at the store Before you purchase it

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back