Multiple tank stocking suggestions please.

davidstenb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in my boiler / storage room I have enough space allocated to me by the headmaster ( my wife ). I was able to build with the help of my local fish service company ( Karl) a stand that holds three 20 high and two 40 breeder tanks all plumbed to the sump on the bottom and a protein skimmer. Right now the system is just running water. I also have a Neptune controller in the sump that I had on a previous Nano tank that will officially be useful now with the new system. My question to the group
Is what would be some good fish only grouping for said tanks. One I wanted to be a predator tank ( guessing a the 40 breeder) but the others I wanted some cool ideas for some eye catching tanks. I will prolly use one of the 40 breeders to make a fish and coral tank but the rest will be fish only and will have sand as the substrate. Looking forward to hearing your suggestions.
Fragged Out

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for out-of-the-box type stuff? Maybe pipefish or dwarf seahorses?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are good with feeding live for your pred tank, I have some ideas. A fu manchu lion, leaf scorpionfish, and yellow spotted scorpion. Both the scorps can live in groups.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any good online companies that sell them ?

Buy Venomous Lionfish, Stone Fish, Scorpion Fish | thatpetplace.com

Check here, I have been happy with a couple purchases from them, it has been a while ago though. The yellow spot scorp isn't one you see around that often and these guys seem to have them regularly. They are much cuter in person and color up real nice if you feed them live ghost shrimp. They also seem to have leaf fish often also. The fu is a bit trickier, if you are interested in this one, it might be best to do a special order at a lfs with a good relationship with their supply. The fu is a hard one, they come in rough alot, the one I have now I waited until my lfs guy found one that his supplier said looked strong. Click my name and "find all threads" and you'll find tons of info on predators like lions and scorps. You could also choose one of the smaller frogfish; like the warty, just make sure they are sized right as not the other tank mates.

I wish I had done a stack like you are planning instead of my 210g. I enjoy smaller tanks with just a few inhabitants, I would do 90g x 4 and each would have 3-5 predators. Another idea for one of you tanks, in the coral tank, a cryptic tank. I like cryptic fish that you only glimpse from time to time. Some of the small basslets like the swissguard and maybe a possum wrasse like the tanaka's.

OP
OP
D

davidstenb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy Venomous Lionfish, Stone Fish, Scorpion Fish | thatpetplace.com

Check here, I have been happy with a couple purchases from them, it has been a while ago though. The yellow spot scorp isn't one you see around that often and these guys seem to have them regularly. They are much cuter in person and color up real nice if you feed them live ghost shrimp. They also seem to have leaf fish often also. The fu is a bit trickier, if you are interested in this one, it might be best to do a special order at a lfs with a good relationship with their supply. The fu is a hard one, they come in rough alot, the one I have now I waited until my lfs guy found one that his supplier said looked strong. Click my name and "find all threads" and you'll find tons of info on predators like lions and scorps. You could also choose one of the smaller frogfish; like the warty, just make sure they are sized right as not the other tank mates.

I wish I had done a stack like you are planning instead of my 210g. I enjoy smaller tanks with just a few inhabitants, I would do 90g x 4 and each would have 3-5 predators. Another idea for one of you tanks, in the coral tank, a cryptic tank. I like cryptic fish that you only glimpse from time to time. Some of the small basslets like the swissguard and maybe a possum wrasse like the tanaka's.
Thanks for taking the time to respond. Will keep you in loop.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 38 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.4%
Back