Murderer Pixy Hawkfish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a Fluval Flex - 32.5gal (123 L) mixed reef tank with a Midas Blenny & a Pixy Hawkfish. The Hawkfish recently murdered a small wrasse, so that’s going to be out of the question. The MB and the Hawk get along fine and honestly, this MB would be considered semi-aggressive at the very least.
So now I’m wondering how to move forward... What can I put in this tank that could hold its own against these guys? Maybe a Dottyback or something? Not a fan of damsels and I’m not sure how I’d feel about a clown of any type. There is plenty of rock work and a very nice cave that no one uses.
Any suggestions? Or do I just try to return/rehome both of these guys and start over with a nice peaceful tank? (I already have two very peaceful nanos though im not opposed to another.)
The other wrasse in this photo has been moved to my 55gal peaceful tank for his safety.

5706BE2D-700F-4DB9-96C2-7ED969962EE1.jpeg

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A dwarf angel would probably be okay. What kind of wrasse did it kill? I’ve never heard of a pixy hawk being overly aggressive to the point of murder! Just towards snails/inverts :)

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A dwarf angel would probably be okay. What kind of wrasse did it kill? I’ve never heard of a pixy hawk being overly aggressive to the point of murder! Just towards snails/inverts :)
I know! I was shocked also. It killed a juvenile Exquisite Wrasse. He was doing completely fine otherwise - eating like a pig, swimming around okay but he had large bites from the Pixy. I thought it could have been something else until I witnessed it yesterday. He was doing fine when the lights went off in the tank last night and then this morning, there were only remnants after the CUC had done their job. :( it was really sad & I feel guilty over it!

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I suppose I can’t blame the Pixy 100% since I don’t know that he did the ultimate deed. It could have been that my CUC knew there was an injured fish and just did their job. The Pixy definitely was the cause of the scale damage though. The wrasse was bigger than him too!

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Okay... now I’m 100% sure it’s the Pixy killing everything. I don’t know what to do at this point. He managed to murder all the other fish & stress them to the point of getting sick. He’s healthy as can be and was the only fish in the tank for 2 weeks, which probably only made things worse. I went to my trusted LFS & purchased two Talbots Damsels and a dozen feeder shrimp in hopes that he’d be too excited about the shrimp to notice the new guys. He ate two shrimp & then zeroed in on the new guys immediately. I set up a hand mirror to distract him, moved rocks, turned the lights off and covered the tank. He killed one of the damsels right away. The other is now hanging out safely inside an acclimation box.
Im at a loss... what do I do now? Do I need to just get rid of this guy?
My LFS does have a Gold Stripe Maroon clown who they say is a major jerk. Do I try to get other aggressive fish in hopes that they’re going to work it out? I’m not trying to host a fish fight club here.
It’s going to be a bear getting the Hawkfish out of my tank, but I’m willing to do it since I didn’t set the tank up to hold a single fish. :(

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The maroon clown will likely hold his own with the hawk, providing he is beefy enough. In this scenario, the hawk will likely not even bother him, because a beefy maroon will pound him and he will stop. Midas blenny's can be tough customer's as well, so he likely doesn't take any grief. The maroon will actually be a good addition. The problem in a scenario like this, many fish appropriate for a 32g will be hard pressed to find, that will be able to withstand the wrath of vicious hawk. I'm not sure how people are still surprised that hawks can be so nasty. I keep a flame hawk in my little predator's tank, he eats live ghosties and guppies with the rest of them, he doesn't bother anyone because the others are venomous predators.

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The maroon clown will likely hold his own with the hawk, providing he is beefy enough. In this scenario, the hawk will likely not even bother him, because a beefy maroon will pound him and he will stop. Midas blenny's can be tough customer's as well, so he likely doesn't take any grief. The maroon will actually be a good addition. The problem in a scenario like this, many fish appropriate for a 32g will be hard pressed to find, that will be able to withstand the wrath of vicious hawk. I'm not sure how people are still surprised that hawks can be so nasty. I keep a flame hawk in my little predator's tank, he eats live ghosties and guppies with the rest of them, he doesn't bother anyone because the others are venomous predators.
Yeah, he’s been hunting his shrimp all day. I’m honestly tempted to try out the maroon idea. This Hawk has really grown on me. I just told my husband that he’s gotta go and he got so sad, saying that it’s his favorite fish. Haha... so maybe we’ll try again. The maroon clown is definitely bigger than the Hawk so maybe they’ll work it out. Back to the LFS we go....

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back