Mushroom Corals are my first love ;)

DonTavo27

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dope! I usually keep my mushies on 3” disk, turn the disk on its side against a rock, and force the mushrooms to move up, causing it to leave a piece of the foot behind.
Beautiful collection by the way. This is my only form of social media, or else I’d check out you other content.
thanks for sharing, you’re what I’d call a
“ Shroom Goddess “ :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my only form of social media, or else I’d check out you other content.
Haha same here. No Facebook or instawhat? Just cars and coral over here! Tiktok? Not for me. I catch myself on YouTube for a couple hours every so often and I regret it. Unless I'm learning something.

OP
OP
Katherine Corals

Katherine Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the great write up! Your willingness to share info is so delightful. Curious as to the reason why gluing the foot to the upside down frag plugs?
This may need some clarification. I glue frag plugs upside down next to the foot of the mushroom. This forces them to move over top of the frag plug, hopefully leaving behind a baby. Also, much easier to break the frag plug off the original tile, rather than cut the tile, and the baby is still on the frag, unharmed.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone :) Thank you for following along..
Tonight's topic in "Mushroom Corals are my First Love" I thought I'd share how I split my mushrooms!
Recently, I split my Flash! (See Picture)
For the most part now, I like to allow nature to take her course and wait "patiently" for the shrooms to leave behind babies. I do motivate natures process by glueing frag plugs upside down all along the foot of the shroom and then turn the mushroom 180 degrees against the flow every few weeks-months to motivate it to move around the glued frag plugs and leave behind a baby. BUT, every now and then, I get a mushroom that just gets really big, no matter how I turn and move her against the currents to induce the "baby laying" process. Some of my mushrooms refuse to lay a baby behind! The Flash, is one of those shrooms for me. So, this is how I frag it.
I take a small width rubber band and wrap it perpendicular across its mouth for 24-48 hours. After this time period, I take the mushroom out of the tank and use a sterile blade to finish cutting what the rubber band has not split. After the surgical procedure, I use the band saw to split the tile, and glue each new shroom to a new tile. The shrooms are then placed in a QT bin mixed with chemiclean, iodine, and ammino acids for 24-48 hours. After the QT treatment, they are placed back in the tank in their respective spots and monitored. If any signs of stress, or infection appear, I re-QT them.
Hope you've enjoyed this write-up! The Flash pictured is looking for a new home! I have several mushrooms in my collection if youre ever looking for something, PM me or find me on FB and IG @ Katherine Corals
:)
signal-2023-01-13-08-37-17-624.jpg
Any particular amino acids that you prefer using over another ??

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just about tried my hand in all of them lol - Right now I use Restore and Continum
Thanks !! , I can grow just about anything like weeds , even certain mushrooms but I have lost thousands of dollars worth of certain mushrooms in the past and picking the brains of someone who seems to be as successful as you are not to mention the fact that your willing to share information is awesome.

OP
OP
Katherine Corals

Katherine Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks !! , I can grow just about anything like weeds , even certain mushrooms but I have lost thousands of dollars worth of certain mushrooms in the past and picking the brains of someone who seems to be as successful as you are not to mention the fact that your willing to share information is awesome.
Thank you for your kind words!
I still struggle with a few of them.. lol I stopped trying at the OGs, which is oddly strange because I have good success with the other bounce shrooms. After the third one melting away, I threw in the towel. So if you have success with the OG, PLEASE share you lighting and flow recommendations

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still struggle with a few of them.. lol I stopped trying at the OGs, which is oddly strange because I have good success with the other bounce shrooms. After the third one melting away, I threw in the towel. So if you have success with the OG, PLEASE share you lighting and flow recommendations
Funny but its the same with me that it’s the OG’s that I’ve had a difficult time keeping . People that I’ve bought them from have no issues growing them and I’ve tried duplicating their environments whether they are truthful or not not sure . As far as lighting they also say to use T5’s . But that’s all they use . I think you might be on to something in regards to having issues with wild rather than tank raised . Yes if I hear something positive that works I too will pass it on to you .i do know for me if the Og is smaller than a quarter and has been cut , even if it’s healed over a couple of months it usually doesn’t make it . I have one in my tank now that I’ve had over a year but it’s slowly regressing and starting to turn whitish . I’ve even added live zooxanthellae to try to get it to stop its downward plight . I’m going to see if the quarantine and ingredients you’ve mention and see how that does . I’ll let you know the outcome . Thanks again .

Last edited:

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got some really good looking shrooms @Katherine Corals ! :astonished-face:

I'm mostly a stick head now days with a mixed reef, but I've been collecting Ricordea Florida for 15 years, one by one, they unfortunately are hard to come by here in Israel, to the point where most of the Floridas I see around me were actually originated in my tank and can be traced back to me :grinning-face-with-sweat:

I have a total of 8 different morphs now in my garden, here is an old picture of it:
IMG_0695.JPG

And my current small farm I mostly use for swapping against other corals of my interest:
IMG_7341 copy.png

Would love to see yours too!

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got some really good looking shrooms @Katherine Corals ! :astonished-face:

I'm mostly a stick head now days with a mixed reef, but I've been collecting Ricordea Florida for 15 years, one by one, they unfortunately are hard to come by here in Israel, to the point where most of the Floridas I see around me were actually originated in my tank and can be traced back to me :grinning-face-with-sweat:

I have a total of 8 different morphs now in my garden, here is an old picture of it:
IMG_0695.JPG

And my current small farm I mostly use for swapping against other corals of my interest:
IMG_7341 copy.png

Would love to see yours too!
They look great though!!!

smoothdawg65

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be delighted to answer more questions! Check out my build thread to fully understand my answers -
--My lighting schedule: I run the two systems on different lighting schedules, this helps me flatline my Ph (less of a swing). On the 300 gallon tank, I run par from 120-250. My white lights are at 15%, Blue lights 80%, UV lights 80% oranges, reds and yellows are 5%. On the bigger Hydroponic tub is my zoa growout collection. Par ranges from 90-150. My white lights run at 10%, blues 70%, UV 70%, reds yellows and oranges are 3%. On the smaller Hydroponic Tub is a mushroom bin. Par ranges from 70-120. White lights are 5%, Blues are 60%, UV are 60%, reds yellows and oranges are 3%. Each system has a ramp up and a ramp down of 1.5 hours. My high photo period times are 8 hours on the hydroponic tubs and 10 hours in the 300 gallon tank. :cool:
--As far as feeding, I have a HUGE amount of fish and love to keep them all happy by feeding twice a day, Nori with Frozen foods. I have some big poopers :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: and believe that to be much of my success. I havent had to feed corals in the last two weeks, but if my NO3 and PO4 are low enough to where I can feed corals, I will spot feeding some while broadcasting others. The ones I spot feed are my Ancanthophyillias, Scolymias, Euphyllias and my mushrooms. Everything else (Chalices, zoas, goniopora ect.. ) gets whatever floats around in the water column after the spot feeding.
--ICP test: I will share my next ICP results on this page, so please continue to follow

I use a combination of both in a hybrid lighting system. I use Blue Plus t5 bulbs, with Orphek LEDs. I have a 70 gallon tub that is strictly LED and find that the shrooms like it better in my 300 gallon frag tank that is the hybrid lighting system.
What brand is the tub and how did you plumb it?

smoothdawg65

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any recommendations on how to get Sunkist's bouncier? I have a 15 Waterbox and have definitely caught the shroom bug. I just don't have enough money to fund my bug.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any recommendations on how to get Sunkist's bouncier? I have a 15 Waterbox and have definitely caught the shroom bug. I just don't have enough money to fund my bug.
Make the bug fund itself.
Even with a small tank you can build your way up towards more valuable pieces in the hobby, one step at a time.

Learn how to culture what you have, find what sells best, then optimize your methods and trade with others, you'll be surprised how the journey itself can be both interesting and rewarding at the same time, and slowly but surely you'll eventually get to those crazy names and values, like many others that couldn't afford them otherwise.

OP
OP
Katherine Corals

Katherine Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Story of my life lol Eventually with time, shrooms reproduce and that leads to trading or using the money earned for a new collectable.
For a good bounce, I run high UV spectrum with blues, and feed often. My nitrates (30-40ppm) and phosphates (0.3-0.4) run a little higher than most tanks it seems, but it works great for me. Only when Phosphates climb above 0.6 do I begin to run gfo or do water changes.

smoothdawg65

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Story of my life lol Eventually with time, shrooms reproduce and that leads to trading or using the money earned for a new collectable.
For a good bounce, I run high UV spectrum with blues, and feed often. My nitrates (30-40ppm) and phosphates (0.3-0.4) run a little higher than most tanks it seems, but it works great for me. Only when Phosphates climb above 0.6 do I begin to run gfo or do water changes.
thanks I will try running some higher blues.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 109 73.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back