OP
OP
Katherine Corals

Katherine Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New additions this week! Properly QT to reduce risk of infection and set under low light, low flow conditions. I will be monitoring these new ones closely. :) ENJOY
signal-2023-01-26-10-01-32-967.jpg signal-2023-01-26-10-24-13-161.jpg signal-2023-01-26-10-05-33-126.jpg signal-2023-01-26-10-09-13-719.jpg

Salty_Taste

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 83.3%
5   1   0
You and me both! Ive lost thousands of dollars in mushrooms.. :downcast-face-with-sweat: Jaw Breakers still to this day, are my nemesis, I dont even try anymore lol
I feel that wild mushrooms are 50/50 shot in the dark whether they will last or not. Since Ive introduced my QT practices, my success ratio has gone up. When they fist arrive, I use a 15 gallon stock tank and do a Chemiclean treatment (10 scoops) with 25ml of Restore Aminos for 48 hours.
If problems like whiting out persist, or shrooms become unattached, I use a dip process - - Shout Out to that boiiii @Chumminghamsreefs for the master dip process: Ill post here below:
*5g container w/ proper heat and flow for a 6-8 hour treatment-
-500mg amoxicillon
-2,000mg Cipro
-half bottle of witch hazzle
-25ml Restore amminos
*Currently, I use a different Dip process, much simpler but more expensive:
-RTN/STN X : 40ml in a 5 gallon bucket for 6-8hours.

Hope this helps!
I appreciate your experience and advice on caring for mushrooms. If you have some time, I need your help and expertise.

I was wondering if you had any experience but I have a jawbreaker which started to bleach near the mouth. Initially I thought it was too high of par but when checking it was only 125. I thought it could be low of nutrients however nitrates at 30 phosphate at .2. My next call to action was to moving the JB into a cave away from any direct light however the bleaching continued.

After seeing it slowly gain more white after a week, I dipped into chemiclean along with my other mushrooms potentially thinking it could be a bacterial infection.

I've had it for around 2 months now so fairly new

OP
OP
Katherine Corals

Katherine Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate your experience and advice on caring for mushrooms. If you have some time, I need your help and expertise.

I was wondering if you had any experience but I have a jawbreaker which started to bleach near the mouth. Initially I thought it was too high of par but when checking it was only 125. I thought it could be low of nutrients however nitrates at 30 phosphate at .2. My next call to action was to moving the JB into a cave away from any direct light however the bleaching continued.

After seeing it slowly gain more white after a week, I dipped into chemiclean along with my other mushrooms potentially thinking it could be a bacterial infection.

I've had it for around 2 months now so fairly new
Hey friend, I no longer keep Jawbreakers, because I too experienced this problem and after the third one, i threw in the towel. It sounds like youve done everything already that I would have suggested.
When I have a mushroom that acts in this manner, I place it in a lower flow and lower light area. I even will go as far as to place it in a cage, or a medicine cup. Typically, this resolves the issue within a few days, however, it doesnt then I place it in a dip of chemiclean, lugols iodine, amino acids, and an amoxicillin for 4 hours. This dip treatment was introduced by Ryan Cunningham. After the antibacterial bath, I will do a series of amino acid baths throughout the week using Restore Aminos.

OP
OP
Katherine Corals

Katherine Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been so busy packing and unpacking orders, that I havent been able to post in awhile. My apologies!
The picture on the left, is a new one I just brought in. Its massive in size, about a palm sized mushroom and Im excited to see what I can do with her :)
The picture on the right is from a mushroom I had about 2 years ago. The bounce on this was like a hot air balloon! The bubble was over a quarter in size and looked like at any moment it could just float the mushrrom away. I kept this tucked behind a rock so that the current wouldnt harm the bounce and I did wonderful. :)
IMG_20230202_103342_867.jpg Screenshot_20221222_100848_Instagram.jpg

Salty_Taste

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 83.3%
5   1   0
Hey friend, I no longer keep Jawbreakers, because I too experienced this problem and after the third one, i threw in the towel. It sounds like youve done everything already that I would have suggested.
When I have a mushroom that acts in this manner, I place it in a lower flow and lower light area. I even will go as far as to place it in a cage, or a medicine cup. Typically, this resolves the issue within a few days, however, it doesnt then I place it in a dip of chemiclean, lugols iodine, amino acids, and an amoxicillin for 4 hours. This dip treatment was introduced by Ryan Cunningham. After the antibacterial bath, I will do a series of amino acid baths throughout the week using Restore Aminos.
Thank you for the heads up! After 5 cycles of chemiclean, No improvement. I have since dipped in Iodine this morning... Planning to try cipro this weekend if it makes it long enough. I want to put it into a cage with my other baby mushrooms but afraid of the infection to spread to other mushrooms. Bummer.. Hopefully it pulls through. Will be placing in low flow low light tonight after work! Thanks

Makara23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you finding such nice shrooms!? Are these from your grow out tank or are you an importer from various suppliers?

OP
OP
Katherine Corals

Katherine Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Mushroom Lovers!

I have had many shrooms pass through my tank, here are a handful of my favorites:

Some of the bigger changes to the system:

1. I have switched salt brands and am very pleased. I went from Fritz Pro (still a very good salt to use and will be my plan B) over to Red Sea Blue bag.
2. I have T5 lights now hanging over all systems. Im running a hybrid approach, using Orphek LEDs and mostly Blue Plus T5 bulbs. Par levels are anywhere from 80-180 over my zoa and shroom tanks. My shrooms love a low flow spot around 80-120 Par for 6 hours of higher photoperiod time with a 1.5 ramp up and 1.5 ramp down schedule.

For a full read on my build, please see my build thread linked below ;)

1000015867.jpg 1000015866.jpg 1000015593.jpg 1000015676.jpg

OP
OP
Katherine Corals

Katherine Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you finding such nice shrooms!? Are these from your grow out tank or are you an importer from various suppliers?
I have a very respectful relationship when it comes to the community. I often buy from hobbist, they have the healthiest shrooms!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back