Mushroom mesenterial filaments - Mushroom spitting guts for days.

Peeptoad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooo, my mushroom rock is not happy. I got the coral last Saturday, acclimated him temp in the bag in my sump for 20min, then drip acclimated him for an hour to match my salinity, etc. (He came from 1.024 pH8.2) then I did a brayer dip (Brayer complete 10mL in 1C of water for 5 minutes, rinse twice in clean tank water all separate containers). When I first put him he opened up and was happy, so I spot fed him some reef frenzy and he had a feeding response! The next day he had white stuff coming out of his mouth/top. I thought he didn't like the food and left him be, Wednesday he starting spitting really bad so I moved him under a ledge thinking the strong light was a problem. The mushroom coral then decided it was a great idea to spit all the filaments all over my tank and cover his entire top in the filaments. So I ran some carbon in my sump. He opens halfway and looks like a bowl of spaghetti, Should I just put him in my sump or what Can I do? Iodine dip? He hasn't harmed my finger leather coral which is in there just happy as can be. I'll post a pic later today. Suggestions needed.

Thank You!

NH3- 0
NO2-0
NO3-5-10
pH-8.0
temp-78*F
SG-1.025
ALK- 7.5dKH
Light- Current LED (50% max intensity, 50blue, 50white)

1-finger leather
1- mushroom rock
1- hermit crab (never goes near coral- stays on rock)
1- purple firefish

Purple firefish and Finger Leather are doing GREAT!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Peeptoad

Peeptoad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20170605_074800.jpg

He is in a low flow area! This is what he looked like on Monday.

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like it is trying to fight with something close by.There may be something in the rock annoying it or it could be battling with a different type of mushroom on the rock.

OP
OP
Peeptoad

Peeptoad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what it looked like from the guy I bought it from, the mushrooms were touching and happy on that same rock! (Different lighting)
FB_IMG_1496693734447.jpg

OP
OP
Peeptoad

Peeptoad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think when I put him under the ledge I just angered him more, should I pull him out and put it back on the sandbed? I am doing a WC tomorrow after my salt mixes overnight.

OP
OP
Peeptoad

Peeptoad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well It has been almost 2 weeks, and they still are ticked. One has become a giant mess of fibers so I took it out. The other 5 are still spitting their guts. I'll be doing an iodine dip. My other coral (toadstool and finger leather are open and happy) Same water chemistry as the first post but dKH went up to 8.0. Using RO/DI water 0 TDS.

jason_mazzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
id bet nutrients too low. retest nitrate. see if you have another nitrate test type.

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be a good idea to replenish the activated carbon at this time.It's unfortunate that they have not perked up yet.

BfamilyfromAnchorage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1992.JPG
IMG_1996.JPG
IMG_1997.JPG
IMG_1999.JPG
I literally watched my mushroom today spit out the white filaments... I videoed it happening... after a bit I watched them retract... thought it was neat to catch and post. It is said to be when threatened they do this. A gentleman on another forum showed the filaments at under a microscope.

OP
OP
Peeptoad

Peeptoad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 of the mushrooms bleached, detached and went somewhere? Who knows I can't find them. The remaining 3 are as happy as can be now! Took a couple of weeks of ignoring them leaving them be under indirect light under a ledge.
20171020_071459_HDR.jpg

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • No

Votes: 154 76.6%
  • Unsure

Votes: 21 10.4%
Back