Mushroom Propagation Questions

CrazyDuck959

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have 2 pretty large mushrooms that are growing like crazy, but they have yet to even attempt to split on their own. I have watched a few videos on how to manually cut them and harvest them but I have a few questions.

1. When I cut them off the rock how do I know if I am cutting to high up?

2. Do I need to cut the coral at its mouth and have it so every cut has a little part of the mouth?

3. How many pieces should I cut them into for higher success rates?

I already have a very low flow container ready for them when it’s time to cut. It has small reef rock chunks in it so they can latch on to something.

my final question is

4. What do I do with the cut stubs after I cut off the main mushroom?

Thanks in advance!

- Sam

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have 2 pretty large mushrooms that are growing like crazy, but they have yet to even attempt to split on their own. I have watched a few videos on how to manually cut them and harvest them but I have a few questions.

2. Do I need to cut the coral at its mouth and have it so every cut has a little part of the mouth?

I already have a very low flow container ready for them when it’s time to cut. It has small reef rock chunks in it so they can latch on to something.

my final question is

Thanks in advance!

- Sam
When I've propagated my own I'll use a brand new stainless steel razor blade or exacto knife. I'll start at the edge and go as straight as possible through the mouth. Just make sure you cut deep so additional cuts are not necessary. I've never tried to quarter them. I then will put the cut pieces into a small bowl with rock rubble until they attach. Once they attach to a rock you can glue that rock to a frag plug. Haven't lost a mushroom yet. Not sure what stub your referring to. Are you talking about the foot?

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have photos of the mushrooms you're wanting to propagate?

1: if cutting off of a rock, Use the sharpest razor, ceramic blade or scissors to get as close to the rock as you can in as smooth of a motion as possible to cut through. In answer to question 4: Whatever pieces you leave on the rock will most likely grow into new polyps.

2: yes. If you are further dividing a mushroom, anemone or other polyp that can be divided in this way, be sure to have a piece of the mouth and foot on each piece. So cutting it like a pie.

3: for absolute best success, I would suggest letting the polyps heal after cutting off the rock. Let them heal on sand or gravel until the foot is reformed and then cut them in half at a later date. The fewer cuts the better.

Superd513

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

my final question is

Thanks in advance!

- Sam
Leave them

OP
OP
CrazyDuck959

CrazyDuck959

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have photos of the mushrooms you're wanting to propagate?

1: if cutting off of a rock, Use the sharpest razor, ceramic blade or scissors to get as close to the rock as you can in as smooth of a motion as possible to cut through. In answer to question 4: Whatever pieces you leave on the rock will most likely grow into new polyps.

2: yes. If you are further dividing a mushroom, anemone or other polyp that can be divided in this way, be sure to have a piece of the mouth and foot on each piece. So cutting it like a pie.

3: for absolute best success, I would suggest letting the polyps heal after cutting off the rock. Let them heal on sand or gravel until the foot is reformed and then cut them in half at a later date. The fewer cuts the better.
Thanks again, I cut my smaller mushroom into 2 and my larger mushroom into 4 and they have all healed great. So thanks again. They all attached to rock rubble and are healthy.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 19 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 156 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back