mushroom questions (not rics)

Railrider1920

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Folks,
I was wondering what to do for my mushrooms to encourage them to grow. I have few large blue/purple ones, green with teal stripes, one is brownish with green in center and several redish with blue pimples/bumps (are these the supermans?) The supermans and the big blue/purple ons have shot off a couple of babies, but not many. They are in a corner of my tank that has lower flow, on the gravel.

Looking at one of the threads here (I can't find it now), I have seen pictures of shrooms that looked like they were closed up. Should I be spot feeding them like I do my zoas? If so, anything in particular? Should I be adding any specific additives to the tank for them?

If I wanted to order some online, is there a site that has a good selection of mushrooms?
Thanks
Rob

lkjr409

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it is worth, be careful with those superman mushrooms, they can take over a tank and crowd other corals out. I have so many of these in one of my tanks (30 gal) that I literally have to throw them away....they multiply like rabbits. That tank is fed with phytoplex, DTs and cylop-eeze...nothing special for the 'shrooms. In my humble experience the only other things that grow as fast as mushrooms are anthelias.

Last edited:

juicemonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mushroom grow pretty quick and will take over the tank if you let them. I lie to use Rod's Food. It is a mix for fish and coral. I do say that my brother has a tank with crappy water quality and his mushrooms grow like crazy.

DaveA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have so many of [superman mushrooms]in one of my tanks (30 gal) that I literally have to throw them away....they multiply like rabbits. .

I'd love to have some the next time you need to throw them away.

DaveA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering what to do for my mushrooms to encourage them to grow.

Like everyone else here says, mushrooms grow extremely well, in my experience. So do rics and xenia. I have trouble with everything else.

You don't NEED to spot feed zoas nor mushrooms, but they ALL do better if you do. Rods food, oyster eggs, mysis shrimp, basically anything. Sometimes, one of them catches some of the pellet food I'm feeding the fish. When you spot feed a mushroom, it's REALLY cool. They close up on thue food like a tulip. I spot feed mine once a week, but it's really not necessary.

DaveA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just rip one off the rock and you will have 2

But that doesn't always happen (at least in MY experience). Lots of times the mushroom just comes off. Other times, it's IMPOSSIBLE to yank it off.

OP
OP
Railrider1920

Railrider1920

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies folks. I spot feed them tonight. The big blue one looked like it was trying to close up but never did. One of the others did close up around the food. pretty cool.

Just rip one off the rock and you will have 2

The big blue one was originally coming out of a rock. I grabbed it on the stalk with a pair of forceps and pulled it, I thought, out of the rock. Well, now there is another one growing out of the same place.

My LFS has a couple of rocks with some odd looking shrooms on it. I'm thinking about trying to see if I can cut off one of each if they will let me.

DaveA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS has a couple of rocks with some odd looking shrooms on it. I'm thinking about trying to see if I can cut off one of each if they will let me.

Buy the rock. Take off the shrooms, and let them grow back. Then sell the rock with the regrown shrooms.

OP
OP
Railrider1920

Railrider1920

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had thought about that. He has had them for a couple of months and no one has really shown any interest in them. I think I would have to sell it online and I'm not sure I would want to do that, especially since it's getting cold.

rlculver09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have to many mushrooms that you have to throw them away i will buy them from you at a good price,I love mushrooms.
pm me if you have any for sale.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 71 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 46.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.8%
Back